DIY MEH Synergy horn on Parts express

jwc

You gonna build one?  I think that this is the same guy here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/292379-syns-21.html#post4921714

It's interesting that his take on the MEH, i.e., its clarity, is exactly the same as mine...if you can imagine his comments but inflated to K-402-sized directivity frequencies (about an octave lower)...;)

Chris

• 1 month later...

After looking at this design a bit, I'm not sure that I'd do anything like this.  The choice of driver quality, their relative size (1" compression driver that beams very badly, 6 1/2" woofers, single midrange driver, etc.), its 3-way design (which makes no sense to me), its undersized box, and use of reflex ports seems odd.  Passive crossovers for these type of designs should be either very, very simple (i.e., no real EQ or balancing in the crossover, using first-order filters that introduce no phase shifts), or incredibly complex--sort of like a Danley Synergy crossover--with its fractional-order filter designs.  For a horn-loaded loudspeaker, the sensitivity of this particular design above seems incredibly low: 87 dB/m.  To me, this is clue that something just isn't right.

I think that I'd recommend a very slightly larger box and horn, a horn employing an additional mouth flare (or using a better horn like a SEOS), a two-way design using 2" compression driver, forgetting trying to use reflex ports, use at least dual 12" woofers with T/S parameters not unlike a K-22 woofer, and use a miniDSP 2x4HD to do the crossover and smooth the response.  That would be a loudspeaker that would likely be much more hi-fi and likely for the builder to want to keep. IMHO.  The price would not be 2x higher, and the listening results would knock your socks off--relative to what I see in this Parts Express article.

I've finding that the DIY multiple entry horn design choices made by many on the diyAudio and related audio forums seem to ignore some pretty important requirements (at least requirements that are important to me). Building something because it's cheap to me isn't a very noble or useful goal.  I'd rather have something that will exceed the performance of typical horn-loaded loudspeakers.

YMMV.

Chris

• Like 3

On 4/1/2018 at 12:20 PM, Chris A said:

After looking at this design a bit, I'm not sure that I'd do anything like this.  The choice of driver quality, their relative size (1" compression driver that beams very badly, 6 1/2" woofers, single midrange driver, etc.), its 3-way design (which makes no sense to me), its undersized box, and use of reflex ports seems odd.  Passive crossovers for these type of designs should be either very, very simple (i.e., no real EQ or balancing in the crossover, using first-order filters that introduce no phase shifts), or incredibly complex--sort of like a Danley Synergy crossover--with its fractional-order filter designs.  For a horn-loaded loudspeaker, the sensitivity of this particular design above seems incredibly low: 87 dB/m.  To me, this is clue that something just isn't right.

I think that I'd recommend a very slightly larger box and horn, a horn employing an additional mouth flare (or using a better horn like a SEOS), a two-way design using 2" compression driver, forgetting trying to use reflex ports, use at least dual 12" woofers with T/S parameters not unlike a K-22 woofer, and use a miniDSP 2x4HD to do the crossover and smooth the response.  That would be a loudspeaker that would likely be much more hi-fi and likely for the builder to want to keep. IMHO.  The price would not be 2x higher, and the listening results would knock your socks off--relative to what I see in this Parts Express article.

I've finding that the DIY multiple entry horn design choices made by many on the diyAudio and related audio forums seem to ignore some pretty important requirements (at least requirements that are important to me). Building something because it's cheap to me isn't a very noble or useful goal.  I'd rather have something that will exceed the performance of typical horn-loaded loudspeakers.

YMMV.

Chris

I purchased a second pair of Danley SH-50's without networks, which I got from a dealer and installed myself, subsequently sold. Here's a picture of what it takes to "do it right."

SH50network.JPG

• 2 months later...

Completely agree with Chris here.
I do not see much merit in building something this complicated without the advantages of true synergy horns > a point source able to play loud over a wide freq. range.

It also makes me wonder if a nice coax of decent quality in a small fronthorn loaded box wouldn't be a much easier and more cost effective solution.

e_seas_prestige_loudspeaker_coaxial_6.5_inch_18cm_H1353_T18REX-XFC.jpg.5f4e4ff3e9cb759dc2a8903f3e845d2b.jpg

Still, much respect for the effort.

Edited by ARX