Photos of RF-7 III next to RF-7 II

Youthman

@Youthman

What is your take on the "new" platform type base since it is larger than the main cabinet size - Any worse than traditional feet?

Any perceived or realized issues with moving them should it become necessary?

Rectangular ports are an interesting touch and larger horn too.

:emotion-21:

Tons of differences between the two, all exposed by your excellent photography. 

What jumps out at me is that magnificent HF horn 3 which is a lot more shallow than the 2.  If you cup your hands together like a megaphone and talk, you will hear that "shouty-ness."  Then open your hands wider and talk and you will hear that shouty-ness go away. 

Based on that alone I'm guessing there will be a be more natural, a more accurate sound.

17 minutes ago, Arrow#422 said:

It's not just that the ports are rectangular, they are flared as well, probably inside as well as outside to cut down on chuffing.  Very unique design, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Arrow#422 said:

What is your take on the "new" platform type base since it is larger than the main cabinet size - Any worse than traditional feet?

It's growing on me.  Then again, I didn't like the rear feet on the RF-7 II originally.  Took a bit to get used to but now I like it.  LOL  Apparently angled Plinths are very common in very high end speakers. 

18 minutes ago, Arrow#422 said:

Any perceived or realized issues with moving them should it become necessary?

The RF-7 III come with tiny rubber pads.  I added them when I had them in the theater room and one has already fallen off.  I personally would suggest the small furniture pads for the bottom to keep from scratching hardwoof floors and it would make them very easy to slide if you needed to adjust the angle or position of the speakers.

20 minutes ago, Arrow#422 said:

This is another example of seeing in person is much better than viewing online.  When I first saw Klipsch reveal them, I was like "What is that?" because it was so non-traditional.  Now I think it looks really cool!  Not sure how much it effects sound.  The woofers now have separate chambers which is nice too.

21 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Beautiful! Excellent presentation.

Thanks River

12 minutes ago, babadono said:

Makes me wish I coulda/woulda waited. I love the Cherry on the IIIs, My IIs are quit a bit darker/not as beautiful IMO. Oh well.

I have always loved the Cherry and Mahogany finishes.  Cherry gets darker with age so even these will darken up over time.

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Tons of differences between the two, all exposed by your excellent photography. 

That's what I wanted.  And later this week, I'll bring out my son's RF-7's and do another side by side between the RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-7 III.

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

What jumps out at me is that magnificent HF horn 3 which is a lot more shallow than the 2.  If you cup your hands together like a megaphone and talk, you will hear that "shouty-ness."  Then open your hands wider and talk and you will hear that shouty-ness go away. 

I'm curious to here how they compare to the RF-7 II.  I think the rubber horn will greatly reduce any resonances that plastic horns sometimes have.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I'm curious to here how they compare to the RF-7 II.  I think the rubber horn will greatly reduce any resonances that plastic horns sometimes have.

I had forgotten about the rubber coated horn.  I'm a big believer that a lot of little changes add up to big differences when it comes to speaker design and sound.

That's a lot of work moving those beasts from the theater to the living room. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's a lot of work moving those beasts from the theater to the living room. 

Nah, I just threw them over my shoulder like a continental soldier.....ok maybe not.  I had help.  :)  Even with two people carrying them, they are quite heavy.

Maybe someone here knows... what is the HF driver difference between the two?

I absolutely love the rear being finished on the 7iii's... makes placing them away from the walls much nicer.

I'd like to see the rf7 series move to a concave face at some point.

6 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Even with two people carrying them, they are quite heavy.

In that case, it's lucky that you are young and strong.  B)

+++

Have you even plugged them in yet?  I can send you some banana plugs if it will help you switch back and forth. 

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Nah, I just threw them over my shoulder like a continental soldier.....ok maybe not.  I had help.  :)  Even with two people carrying them, they are quite heavy.

I believe the 3s picked up 10 lbs from the 2s. Awesome photography as usual. Looking forward to your impressions on the sound.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Schu said:

Maybe someone here knows... what is the HF driver difference between the two?

"NEW 1 ¾” Titanium Diaphragm Compression Driver – The compression driver features a new phase plug design to improve phase coherency at the throat of the horn, resulting in improved sound pressure linearity at high frequencies."

As far as what does that translate physically?  I'll be able to find out over the next week as I do some physical comparisons between the three.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I absolutely love the rear being finished on the 7iii's... makes placing them away from the walls much nicer.

I really like the new design of the ports.  Breaks away from the typical round ports.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I'd like to see the rf7 series move to a concave face at some point.

The whole woofer or just the dustcap like in the original 7's?

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Have you even plugged them in yet?  I can send you some banana plugs if it will help you switch back and forth. 

Yes, I listened to them for a few minutes, then just let them play for over an hour while I did some photography and work on the computer.  Couldn't do any critical listening as there was too much noise (washer and dryer, kids etc) going on.  Will have to save that for this Saturday's Audio Get ToGether.

And thanks for the offer on banana plugs.  I have them installed on each of my systems and even have several pair of speaker cables with banana plugs to use as well when needed.  They are an absolute MUST when comparing or swapping speakers.

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

You know, hooking them up to any one of your systems and listening to them would be of great service to the greater Klipsch community.  ;)  

Already done!  First audio clip will be uploaded Tuesday at 2pm on my Youtube Channel.  Then on Wednesday, I'll upload a Home Theater Demo of a clip from Fate of the Furious.

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

thanks, it colder than you know what here in Ohio and the suspense is killing me...

It's nice and warm here in Florida.  LOL

14 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I believe the 3s picked up 10 lbs from the 2s.

They sure felt like it.

14 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Awesome photography as usual. Looking forward to your impressions on the sound.

Thanks Ceptorman.  The sun had already set when I got ready to take photos so the lighting isn't that great but oh well.  Will try and have better natural light when I photograph the RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-7 III side by side.

• Like 1

The new angled base plinths may look good now, but they are going to take a beating from vacuums, "swiffers", and the like, causing them to chip and show their age prematurely.

I think that this is a clear example of "cost savings" designed to look like an "aesthetic/sonic" improvement.  And what is with those tiny, cheap, self-adhesive, rubber feet?  I've got bookshelf speakers that came with better rubber pads.  Those tiny pads are going to detach/shift rather quickly under such a heavy load, especially when attached to the spike sockets as Youthman did in his unpacking video.  A speaker of this caliber should come equipped with molded rubber feet with integral studs that thread into the spike sockets.  Then you could adjust for floor irregularities....JMHO...

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Klipsch-Meister said:

And what is with those tiny, cheap, self-adhesive, rubber feet?  I've got bookshelf speakers that came with better rubber pads.  Those tiny pads are going to detach/shift rather quickly under such a heavy load, especially when attached to the spike sockets as Youthman did in his unpacking video. 

I totally agree here.  One pad fell off in the theater room before moving it to the living room. I think it would have been great to have a screw in rubber foot.  I think felt pads might be a better option for my living room than the rubber feet.