Photos of RF-7 III next to RF-7 II

Youthman

22 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Tons of differences between the two, all exposed by your excellent photography. 

What jumps out at me is that magnificent HF horn 3 which is a lot more shallow than the 2.  If you cup your hands together like a megaphone and talk, you will hear that "shouty-ness."  Then open your hands wider and talk and you will hear that shouty-ness go away. 

Based on that alone I'm guessing there will be a be more natural, a more accurate sound.

It's not just that the ports are rectangular, they are flared as well, probably inside as well as outside to cut down on chuffing.  Very unique design, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Keep in mind folks.............that silcone horn AND the Tractrix  rear horn ports are not new..............they have been used in the Reference Premier line since 2015.....!   (they also have a fully finished rear panel)

Great photography Michael !   :emotion-21:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, adam2434 said:

Nice pics!

Thanks Adam

1 hour ago, adam2434 said:

I wonder why Klipsch didn't simply include the RF-7 II screw-in feet and spikes, perhaps in black rather than copper.  Stick-on rubber pads on a speaker of this cost and size is ridiculous.

I agree, I would have liked to have seen some time of removable rubber feet as well that is a bit more permanent than stick on rubber feet.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, wvu80 said:

I had forgotten about the rubber coated horn.  I'm a big believer that a lot of little changes add up to big differences when it comes to speaker design and sound.

That's a lot of work moving those beasts from the theater to the living room. 

Agree, lots of .5 and 1% changes do add up,

not ready to take the leap on platinum speakers cables just yet or $500 power cables.

nice pics !!

Which test tracks for AB ?

Might be fun to play Richard Burton's War of the Worlds intro

and find a female equivalent to see if they sound like natural voices.

I always think that is where Klipsch stands out is.......the accurate reproduction of voices,

females in particular....the mid range horns to be exact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsPoCMDEWeE

My quick test tracks are:

Skylark, Linda Ronstadt, some reverb

I've Got a crush on you, Ronstadt  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZQJ3rc4GRM

Fly Away, Poe ....  some reverb

You only live twice, Nancy Sinatra (clear as a bell)

You, Taylor Momsen....pretty reckless, no reverb acoustic. Great voice..... Too bad the band went goth

Pretty Reckles...one of the more rocking tracks shows off momsen's great voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ozg-EL4VJQ

Freebird Capella, Duets sound track

Maybe a new frontier for me will be listening to various readings to use as test tracks, the old Bell Labs engineers' test files for the phone network would be fun to have. Maybe the audio books at the library...

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Bubo said:

nice pics !!

Thanks Bubo.

11 minutes ago, Bubo said:

I made a Spotify Playlist based off of several suggestions from others.  Not exactly sure what the "final list" will be yet when we do A/B/C comparison on Saturday between RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-7 III.

14 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Might be fun to play Richard Burton's War of the Worlds intro

Orchestral part started off nice...then it got weird.  LOL

I'll check out the others on your list as well.  Thanks

• Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 3:05 PM, Youthman said:

I made a Spotify Playlist based off of several suggestions from others.  Not exactly sure what the "final list" will be yet when we do A/B/C comparison on Saturday between RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-7 III.

Thanks for sharing your photos of RF-7III vs. RF-7II.

I hope that you play some hi-res classical recordings when you compare the RF-7III vs. RF-7II,  and let us know your assessment.   

What amp(s) will you use with the  RF-7III and RF-7II?  Any tube amps?

On February 8, 2018 at 3:05 PM, Youthman said:

Thanks Bubo.

Orchestral part started off nice...then it got weird.  LOL

I'll check out the others on your list as well.  Thanks

-- well, if you're gonna' run A/B sound tests you should play what Chief Bonehead plays - Bonnie Riatt?! How could you go wrong with that ?!

On 2/8/2018 at 3:49 PM, Bubo said:

Excellent question!

There have been various threads on that topic here, and I think somewhere there is a playlist that Chief Bonehead uses.  That would be helpful.

For me, I think I can analyze and expose the differences in speakers pretty quickly by being familiar with source material for three different song tracks, high quality recordings, playing female vocal, male vocal, and piano.

I don't think I'm very good if I'm not familiar with the recording.  I also would not be good with EDM, most rock groups and certainly not metal.  I think some of you guys are, just not me.

• Like 1

felt pads.JPG

Michael, ...agreed 100% !

I certainly do NOT like those tiny 'black-rubber' pads either, that came in the iii's box for their angled Plinths.

I used these white Furniture pads ! ...and just love them.

They certainly assist with scooting these RF-7iii speakers with ease, across my new Granite floor.

RF-7 iii Pedistool FEET -2.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/15/2018 at 7:37 AM, Born2RockU said:

I used these white Furniture pads ! ...and just love them.

They certainly assist with scooting these RF-7iii speakers with ease, across my new Granite floor.

We ended up doing the same thing and it works out much better on my hardwood floors.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree @burninator.  I like the front veneer on the Black RF-7 II but never liked it on the Cherry RF-7 II because to me, the cherry front conflicted with the copper woofers.  The black front of the RF-7 III really makes the copper woofers stand out.  Copper and Black look soooo sweet together!