WTB KD-15

Dave A

OK today I was quoted $76 + shipping again for this drone from Klipsch. I mentioned the price earlier in this thread and the guy said misquoted so someone got lucky or a dealer price. Since I don't want two different appearances on the drones for speakers I am selling I am going to try the Simply Speakers recone kit route. The new ones may be better but I have to tell you on another Forte where I replaced the old drone with a new one the new one sticks out like a sore thumb. You replace two of these just to look right and there goes a bunch of money.

10 minutes ago, jason str said:

Just for a passive drone cone that price is very steep, guess they are in no hurry to sell stuff.

I was thinking about buying a set myself but for that price i will just make the repair to the old passive on my Chorus II.

I was hesitant at the $90 a pair price, my passives each had a tiny tear that was easily repaired and since they are on the back of the cabinets decided it wasn't needed.

20180117_091041 (480x640).jpg

IMG_2279 (640x427).jpg

9 minutes ago, jason str said:

Just for a passive drone cone that price is very steep, guess they are in no hurry to sell stuff.

I was thinking about buying a set myself but for that price i will just make the repair to the old passive on my Chorus II.

Just for the heck of it I took a KG4 KD-12 drone and used it for a Forte KD-13 since they are the same size. I could not hear a difference but then my hearing is not perfect either. I am going to try the Simply Speakers route and have an original Klipsch KD-15 and a re-coned klipsch KD-15 side by side and see. I really like the idea that the kit is cheaper and looks like the heritage drones and not the new rubber tire sidewall thing. I can see where the new ones might have more extension but that differing appearance is a problem when selling speakers.

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I was hesitant at the $90 a pair price, my passives each had a tiny tear that was easily repaired and since they are on the back of the cabinets decided it wasn't needed.

20180117_091041 (480x640).jpg

IMG_2279 (640x427).jpg

My hole is on the surround, looking for a scrap of old surround material if anybody has some to spare.

Coffee filters work well so you don't have to waste a buck next time. :D

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

Just for the heck of it I took a KG4 KD-12 drone and used it for a Forte KD-13 since they are the same size. I could not hear a difference but then my hearing is not perfect either. I am going to try the Simply Speakers route and have an original Klipsch KD-15 and a re-coned klipsch KD-15 side by side and see. I really like the idea that the kit is cheaper and looks like the heritage drones and not the new rubber tire sidewall thing. I can see where the new ones might have more extension but that differing appearance is a problem when selling speakers.

Take some before and after measurements if you can, every bit of posted information can be helpful.

" My hole is on the surround, looking for a scrap of old surround material if anybody has some to spare.

Coffee filters work well so you don't have to waste a buck next time. :D"

When I get my rebuild kit in if you are serious I will save the old surround as best as I can for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jason str said:

My hole is on the surround, looking for a scrap of old surround material if anybody has some to spare.

Coffee filters work well so you don't have to waste a buck next time. :D

My other passive had a tear on the outer edge into the surround, did a similar repair but put glue on the top side as well and it sealed just fine and is still flexible, I haven't uploaded the pictures yet but can after awhile. 

Both dollars spent just fine..  :ph34r:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dave A said:

" My hole is on the surround, looking for a scrap of old surround material if anybody has some to spare.

Coffee filters work well so you don't have to waste a buck next time. :D"

When I get my rebuild kit in if you are serious I will save the old surround as best as I can for you.

That would be most appreciated, just PM me if it works out.