Using a subwoofer as a stand for my Heresys

BobH

eThis may sound crazy but with my limited space in my Ham Radio Shack I'm upgrading my speaker system. I already have a pair of Heresy I've cherished since 1977, I'll never give them up. I just added a RP450C center and now I'm planning on adding two RP450 rear speakers and one or two subwoofers. Can I but two subwoofers and put them under the Heresy speakers. The room is a 10'X10' and space is very limited with one listener and a bunch of Ham Radio equipment.

Edited by BobH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BobH said:

Can I but two subwoofers and put them under the Heresy speakers.

Yes, I've done this and it works great, kind of turns them into a 2 piece full range tower speaker, especially if you send stereo signals (left and right) to each sub although not entirely necessary for great results.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobH said:

eThis may sound crazy but with my limited space in my Ham Radio Shack I'm upgrading my speaker system. I already have a pair of Heresy I've cherished since 1977, I'll never give them up. I just added a RP450C center and now I'm planning on adding two RP450 rear speakers and one or two subwoofers. Can I but two subwoofers and put them under the Heresy speakers. The room is a 10'X10' and space is very limited with one listener and a bunch of Ham Radio equipment.

It's a great idea that accomplishes 2 good things. Keeps bass on the floor where it's needed the most and raises the tweeter closer to seated ear level. Like NIKE ads say, just DO IT.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobH said:

I think I may have started this thread on the wrong community, but thanks for the replies, any suggestions as to how to connect two subwoofers to a ONKYO TX-SR703 AV REceiver with one subwoofer output?

Yes, just use an RCA splitter, and adapters.

RCA(F) to RCA(M) Coaxial Splitter AdptRCA Coupler, RCA Female, Gold - Part Number: RCA-FFG

Fellow ham here.

Stacking will probably increase acoustic radiation loading by mutual coupling.  If you need that.  I think you don't.

OTOH, there is research regarding standing wave patterns in rooms.  Generally, a single source (here stacking would do that) will set up peaks and valleys of standing waves.  Having two sources will create the same sort of interference patterns individually but the summing tends to be smoother. 

The effect of standing waves can be appreciated by feeding a  tone, say, 50 Hz or higher, to one speaker and then walk around the room.  In some spots it seems that the speaker has been shut down.  It is an ear-opening experiment.

One thing I read is that corner placement of two subs is better than one, just as PWK advised of main speakers.  

There are IMHO no pat answers to placement.  You have to experiment. 

My other thought is that small speakers should be elevated to get the mid and tweeter up to ear level.  You probably know this already of course.  It seems that putting spread apart Heresy's on the subs will accomplish this as well as getitng the subs in different locations.

WMcD

• Like 1