Center Channel Placement

javauno

I have a 5.1 Home Theater using a KV1 Klipsch Center Speaker , front left and right speakers are KSB3.1 Klipsch and rear Left and right are IC525 Klipsch Ceiling speakers.  The Sub-woofer is an Infinity powered BU-1.  I also use an iLive 37" Sound Bar to enhance TV dialog at low volume. The system runs through a Onkyo TX-NR626 A/V Receiver. The center and sound bar have been on a TV cabinet (with storage for the EQ inside). Normally, the positioning is the sound bar off center right and the center off center left behind the TV.  With the TV stand, 1/2 the center is blocked so the back is lifted and it aims down. This sound is OK and when necessary adjustments can be made by movement of the sound bar.  See photo. However, I recently upgraded my TV to a 4K 50" Samsung UHDTV. I plan to consider a wall mount for the new TV.   Since the center channnel speaker is large and heavy would it be OK to leave it on top of the cabinet and try and hang the sound bar from the TV?  I see several items designed to do that.  I fear the Klipsch is too heavy to hang from a rack setup. This means that from the listening/viewing area, the center speaker would be below the sound bar.  The sound bar is connected to the TV audio via optical cable so when I am in Home Theater mode with the audio through the A/V Receiver, no sound comes from the sound bar. I would appreciate any comments.

IMG_7514.JPG

• Like 2

12 hours ago, T2K said:

Choose one center speaker. You might buy a monitor stand from monoprice.com to get your TV high enough for the bottom of the TV screen to clear the top of the KV-1. Check the stands out, they're cheap. They sell several different sizes.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16360

Monoprice monitor stand.jpg

Excellent. I never knew these existed. And cheap! The one I use I made out of wood and my trusty Kreg.

Definitely wall mount tv but get an articulating one that allows you to pull it in and out from the wall, its a nice feature.

you can keep both, just make sure they are stacked one way or the other.  the real center should be as close to ear level as possible

another option is to mount the tv with the soundbar beneath, and then the center on the console, again insuring the soundbar has a clear path.

best option is more radical...move the console elsewhere, mount the tv ang get a 3rd matching l/r speaker for the center     soundbar optional.  3 of the same is THAT good imo but not required

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Definitely wall mount tv but get an articulating one that allows you to pull it in and out from the wall, its a nice feature.

Just went to one of these a few months ago, they work great, pull out to install or change wires and push it back. Because of where we sit and the height of how I needed it put the Tv which is kind of high which I like, it even allow you to tilt it down a little, works great. You don't need to spend a ton of money either, 65" 4 K tv @65 pounds and a very heavy full motion mount was about $60 and is rated for 110 pounds.

Really glad I did this, positioning the Tv is easy, plus had no choice couldn't leave the Tv on the new sub, needed a place for the electronics to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Just went to one of these a few months ago, they work great, pull out to install or change wires and push it back. Because of where we sit and the height of how I needed it put the Tv which is kind of high which I like, it even allow you to tilt it down a little, works great. You don't need to spend a ton of money either, 65" 4 K tv @65 pounds and a very heavy full motion mount was about $60 and is rated for 110 pounds.

Really glad I did this, positioning the Tv is easy, plus had no choice couldn't leave the Tv on the new sub, needed a place for the electronics to go.

great points.  hd tvs allow close seating too.  i pulled mine out a lot and the screen is much bigger that way.  no downsides as it can be left against the wall.  mine was from monoprice might have been 120 back in 2008...a great price then.  my plasma weighs 110...a great tv but a brick.  i was scared for 3 days wondering if it would fall but the studs held 😊

I went through something similar and ended up mounting 1 inch wood blocks to the underside of my TV legs that served a dual purpose of allowing me to use the legs that came with the TV and lifted it just enough to clear the drivers of the center channel but not too high to fit in the cabinet:

20180208_003358_001 (Small).jpg

20180208_003338 (Small).jpg

Edited by dethbysexy
  • Like 3

• Moderators
16 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

great points.  hd tvs allow close seating too.  i pulled mine out a lot and the screen is much bigger that way.  no downsides as it can be left against the wall.  mine was from monoprice might have been 120 back in 2008...a great price then.  my plasma weighs 110...a great tv but a brick.  i was scared for 3 days wondering if it would fall but the studs held 😊

I didn't pull it out to much but enough to get it where I wanted it with everything that's under it. Plus angled it down to where you sit but to not look stupid to the rest of the room which is 18' deep but open another 16' behind the sofa. Where the sub is was a similar size entertainment stand thing but when it moved out the electronics needed to go on the sub, the TV had to go on the wall. I got the wall mount online at HD, it's some off brand but very well made and heavy, but I was still a little nervous even with it being very solid and mounted across 2 studs. I should have mounted the TV like this a long time ago.

The center Forte (in front of the sub) is sitting on a base that can roll off to the side when it's not being used, the left front is on the far end, 3 Forte's across the back ceiling on a beam angled down.

I know it's not the standard look for a living room but we are in it for the sound not for pretty or fancy, the wife loves it and we don't care if it's not "normal". But it does sound really good. :emotion-21:

Across the front left, we apparently love big plywood boxes that make noise................. not good I pad pic

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Dtel thanks for sharing I think it looks great!  I love the wood and especially like that quality trumps concerns whethet or not it looks ideal to a designer!   Wall mounts are amazing and the articulating one is night and day better.  I have most of my theater room treated including the front wall and find it makes everything sound better including just the tv on its own.   Im out so i cant share a pic now.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I have most of my theater room treated including the front wall and find it makes everything sound better including just the tv on its own.

Never tried any treatments, about as close to that we have come is a leather and wood bench on one wall. It is where the clean clothes land before being put away, it seems to perpetually have some clothes on it. :huh: If it were to sound a little bright in the room just wash some clothes. :o:D

• Haha 3