K-402 2 way LF bass

JustAuBy

Hello All,

I recently purchased 2x K-402-MF horns.  I understand the "best option" for my LF bass cab would be a Jubilee but unfortunately that's not available at the moment and I'm not certain I could afford it right now if it were.  I have a local connection on 2 LF cabinets and drivers and I wanted to get some experiences with anyone that has owned them.  I was looking at the JBL 4508 loaded with JBL 2226's (also have a line on some JBL 2235s) or the Klispch KPT-904-LF loaded with the K-45.  They will be playing 60 - 600hz with 48db xo's, I will have the ability to EQ.  I'm sure both will do the job effectively but just wanted to get your opinions on those that have heard or owned them.  Cost of the cabinets and drivers are close enough that it is not an issue.  Thanks

-Justin

Thank @dtel.  One of them is cracked so i'll need to buy a plastic welder from Northern Tool to fix it or do the superglue/baking soda trick.  Figure I'll make some speaker grilles or buy some custom foam grilles for a nice home stereo look and cover up the ugly repair.

1 hour ago, JustAuBy said:

...just wanted to get your opinions on those that have heard or owned them.

I've heard the KPT-904-LF underneath a K-402 horn with K-69-A driver in one corner of the listening room next to the chamber in Hope.  The timbre shift relative to the KPT-KHJ-LF (Jubilee) bass bin in the other corner of the room was very noticeable.  (I'm not sure that anyone that day preferred that sound of the 2x15" cabinet.) 

Then we heard a KPT-415-LF (4x15" woofers).  The timbre of sound was much closer to that of the Jub bass bins but still had a very noticeable edge or "sound of splintering wood" (my listening impression) when driven hard.  I'd actually recommend the KPT-415-LF, or perhaps two KPT-904-LF boxes per stereo channel.  I believe it's got more to do with driver area when using ported boxes than the exact brand or model of woofer.  [JBL drivers always cost more, whatever the model number, so that trade is easy...I'd go with Klipsch.]

In reality, I'd still recommend a horn-loaded bass bin, perhaps more like a pair of used Khorn bass bins, crossed carefully at 400 Hz using an active crossover.  The cost would likely be cheaper, even with the active crossover thrown in (which you will need with the K-402s anyway). 

YMMV

Chris

Hey Justin, go for the 904 bass bin, if Tim still has the kit-456 systems for $400.00 a pair that may even save you a few bucks (as it is 904-lf). The 904-lf up to the early 2000s had the k-45-kt woofer which buys you another 10Hz extension or so over the k-45-ep in later 904 cabinets.

Several members have been very happy with the 904-lf combined with the 402 or 510 horns, active and passive.

• Like 1

I'm not disregarding the listening impressions.  In my original post i stated that the Jubilee is the best option, but i can't afford it.  I'm simply trying to get listening impressions for the 2 i listed because that's what i can afford.  Jubs are absolutely the end game.

@Speakmeister He's got a lot of the 904s in stock and a few of the 502 horns last time I was over their.  He just had surgery so I don't really want to bother him right now.  

Someone could always build you a pair of Belle or La Scala bass bins if you're not into the woodworking part.  The plans are readily available for either and that would five you horn loaded bass to match the K-402.  Built out of MDF or plywood is a cost of about $50 per sheet x3 sheets most likely.  That's what it took for me to build my Belle's (and I used Baltic Birch) but that's also including making the top sections which you wouldn't need.  Then just a pair of K-33 woofers, Crites woofers, etc., and you're in business.  

Or go like the above mentioned ideas.

Yeah, Jube cabinets may be my next build after we get our new house built.  Maybe next summer.  Also will depend on ceiling height in upstairs room I'll be using.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Speakmeister said:

forgot to mention the JBL cabinets...The 2226 is a fine driver, but the JBL cabinets are lousy particle board with a vinyl overwrap. The 904 cabinets are superior.

Ah, very good info.  I did not know that.  

It's my experience that the sound of the ported boxes (1x15", 2x15") is due to the ports themselves...the excessive group delay at and below the resonant frequency of the drivers/ports, and the added modulation distortion of the woofers in ported boxes having no acoustic suspension. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JustAuBy said:

One of them is cracked so i'll need to buy a plastic welder from Northern Tool to fix it or do the superglue/baking soda trick. 

Shouldn't be a big deal, they are really thick and should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do what your saying, just keep the inside free of any of the repair.

51 minutes ago, Chris A said:

In reality, I'd still recommend a horn-loaded bass bin

I would also, easily, I think that is the biggest difference I hear. Even with subs, after trying 2 different horn loaded subs it seems easier to pick out the sound of a direct radiator design no matter how good they are. IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAuBy said:

Hello All,

I recently purchased 2x K-402-MF horns.  I understand the "best option" for my LF bass cab would be a Jubilee but unfortunately that's not available at the moment and I'm not certain I could afford it right now if it were.  I have a local connection on 2 LF cabinets and drivers and I wanted to get some experiences with anyone that has owned them.  I was looking at the JBL 4508 loaded with JBL 2226's (also have a line on some JBL 2235s) or the Klispch KPT-904-LF loaded with the K-45.  They will be playing 60 - 600hz with 48db xo's, I will have the ability to EQ.  I'm sure both will do the job effectively but just wanted to get your opinions on those that have heard or owned them.  Cost of the cabinets and drivers are close enough that it is not an issue.  Thanks

-Justin

Dude! Just buy a pair of Eminence Kappa 15C woofer from Parts Express for about $100 each or a pair of Crites 1526 woofers. Then get 5 sheets of Auraco plywood for about $150 and build a pair of my Quarter Pie Horns. Smoother than Klipsch MWM woofer sound with 40% less floor space and only 20% more than a LaScala. Flat to 50 Hz. 

• Like 1