OEM x overs and realistic component upgrade

Alexander

11 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Here is one issue trying to move up the proverbial ladder of caps , in this case we need 4x 2.0uF and 2x 1.5uF for the pair of networks for the forte II.  Now 1.5uF values aren't a problem as most manufactures offer them but they only offer 2.2uF and not 2.0uF so instead of getting a total of six caps we now need to purchase ten at the what can be much higher prices per cap to get our ~2.0uF values. 

I've run into similar circumstances in finding caps for my KP-2500's which I'm doing now.  I think that if you're within 10% you're ok but I went ahead and ordered enough to be very close to the values I needed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 3:08 PM, CECAA850 said:

I just did that on a set of H2s.  I really don't see the need to replace the coils and autoformers as they won't wear out.

I'm in the process of re-capping my H2's, even though the original caps measured very close to 2uf.  However, I was surprised to find out that the ESR measured from .85 ohm to 1.1 ohm on the originals caps.  I then measured the inductor...4.17mh, but DCR of 1.6 ohms.  I agree that inductors don't wear out, but I'm replacing it with a .22 ohm DCR inductor to see if the amp can better control the woofer.  I'm curious if anyone else has measured the DCR on the original woofer inductors.

Mike

I did, the schematic states .4 ohm max on the 2.75mH and mine measured .7x ohms, it will be replaced with .126 ohm unit. The .16mH measured .4x ohms and .26 ohm will be in it's place. Not sure if they will have any audio impact though.