Rear Surrounds

WESeib

Hey all, I am very new to Klipsch speakers, but not all that new to Home Theater.

In fact I have two RP-280F, an RP-450C, and two RP-250S speakers that are in shipping now.

They are replacing 16 year old speakers.

I also bought an Onkyo RZ810 to replace a 10 year old Yamaha A/V Receiver.

My question involves rear (not side) surrounds for 7.x.x and the reference premier line.

Under what circumstances would you go with the RP-160M (Bookshelf Speakers) over the RP-250S (Bipole Speakers) as rear surrounds?

Would it be simply distances from the listening position?  Anything over X feet you get bookshelf speakers?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Like 1

rears are usually monopoles because most surround comes from the sides.   the issue with surrounds is you dont want them firing directly at your ear from close distance say 3 or 4 feet away.  a simple solution is to have them a foot or so above ear level which helps also to reach all the seats without a head blocking a line of hearing.

if you are very close to them or just want them then go ahead i personally love the WDST klipsch speakers  but in my situations have found that monos work better, just my 2c.  rp160ms are great speakers and more than what is needed if you are looking for back surrounds but are the best ones.  

side surrounds are where listening distance is critical.  under 5 feet no monos for sure....at a distance of 12 to 15 feet away monos are preferred because you want some directionality but even then both could work

I deeply appreciate the response.

When I move to 7.x.x I will use monopoles (direct) thank you.

It looks like I made a good call getting the RP-250's instead of the RP-160m's then.  My surrounds (side) speakers are literally 3 feet to the side and 9 inches behind my listening position.

I came home to the two 250S speakers last night in Walnut.

I can't wait until Tuesday when I get the mains and center!

They are very large for rears.

Much larger then I expected them to be.

My current rears are Bose 161's

20180208_181142.jpg

Edited by WESeib

4 hours ago, WESeib said:

I deeply appreciate the response.

When I move to 7.x.x I will use monopoles (direct) thank you.

It looks like I made a good call getting the RP-250's instead of the RP-160m's then.  My surrounds (side) speakers are literally 3 feet to the side and 9 inches behind my listening position.

I came home to the two 250S speakers last night in Walnut.

I can't wait until Tuesday when I get the mains and center!

They are very large for rears.

Much larger then I expected them to be.

My current rears are Bose 161's

20180208_181142.jpg

U made great and wise choices.  At 3 feet a mono would not work especially one that is a foot deep!

If you have not yet experienced the WDST klipsch you are in for a treat.  By far my fave from klipsch.  They may look like they only go sideways but that is not the case.  The two sets of drivers are aligned to give the strongest signal similar to a mono but also have a more diffuse pattern to reach a larger area, in your case critical since u are 3 feet.  Place them above ear level at a minimum.  My suggestion is dont guess how high or exactly where to place them...test first.  Put them on ladders, boxes....a little higher, a little lower, and suddenly one set of spots will have as i like to say, the "magic".  It just sounds perfect in the right spot in a room.    Congrats and feel free to ask anything else u wonder we all love to do virtual setups ☺

U picked the top of the premiere line and will be at least as thrilled with all of them as u will the surrounds.

Rerrun your accueq program each time u change something.  Then dont be afraid to tweak the volumes of the center and surrounds.  Its about what sounds best in your room.  

• Thanks 1

Holy Crap! I got the last of my speakers in yesterday at 1:30, the RP-280F's.

I had spent that morning clearing my old tower speakers and replacing speaker wire to the front 3 speakers and installing banana plugs on the new wire.  I hooked them all up and ran Auto-EQ (Onkyo Receiver).  I didn't like the results because the distances were way off, so I re-ran it and was much more accurate.  I figure maybe the dog farted and threw it off the first time.

I popped in Master and Commander, one of my favorite movies.

Holy crap this system sounds absolutely amazing!

My old speakers were Bose 701 Series II's (Mains), Bose VCS-10 (Center), and Bose 161 (Rear).

The clarity in these Klipsch is unbelievable! I kept my old sub, a BIC PL-200, but I am thinking I may upgrade that in the near future.

I just wanted to say I am a very, very happy Klipsch owner.

As a side note, I have a 7.1 receiver and I am only using 5.1.

I read recently about the ability to biamp and since the 280's can be biamped, should I go that direction?

Right now I have it attached to the lower of the binding posts with the post bridges in place.

Would it be beneficial / add anything if I were to use the rear surround outputs on the receiver to biamp the 280's?

Edited by WESeib
biamp question
  • Like 2

Just now, WESeib said:

Thank you.  I may play with it later.  If it really doesn't add much I probably won't worry with it.

I just feel like I have unused power from my receiver sitting there doing nothing.

Your receiver is working pretty hard now powering all those speakers. Not many people say bi-amping helped the sound at all.

Those are pretty impressive speakers, huh? Congrats.

You do need to upgrade your sub though, that will make a huge difference.

We do love pics around here :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WESeib said:

I popped in Master and Commander, one of my favorite movies.

Congrats! Master and Commander is one of my favorite demo blu-ray's. The cannon battles will really show off your surrounds and an overall good movie is always a plus.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

You do need to upgrade your sub though, that will make a huge difference.

We do love pics around here :D

I think so as well.  I think that will certainly be next.

I will take some when I get home from work.

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

That is a nice home theater system you put together.

Thank you.  

55 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Congrats! Master and Commander is one of my favorite demo blu-ray's. The cannon battles will really show off your surrounds and an overall good movie is always a plus.

Enjoy!

Without a doubt!

• Like 1