Quasi-Official CF-4 Sightings Thread

vasubandu

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Thanks @jjptkd!

The info you provided does confirm a different driver for the CF-2, the K-64-KN.  I've read discussions on the differences between the K-63 and K-64 and I think the differences were very minimal.

From what I understand they are the exact same driver, part number is only different because of the horn its attached to like the K-53 and k-61 in the forte and forte II. 

32 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

The CF-2 is basically a KV-4 center speaker in tower speaker, both use the screw on horn assembly with a 2" driver same horn that's in the KLF-20 / 30, same driver as in the CF-3 / 4, different part number by 1 number only because of the different horn its attached to but same driver.

You're too fast!  We are passing each other.  B)

Thanks for the explanation on the differences between the K-63 and K-64.  I like to keep up on that sort of thing.

So:

The horn of the CF-2 is the same as the KLF-20/30.

The compression driver of the CF-4/3/2 is the same.

Do I have that right?

Below:  K-63-KN attached to CF-4 horn (clear pure silicon caulk on horn added by me).  Denovo DNA-360 on SEOS 12 waveguide

IMG_3775.JPG

OK I have another live one, but this one seems real.  This is the email I received in response to one of my wanted ads

Hi Vasubandu,
I have a pair of Klipsch Epic CF-4, the most desirable version 1 with the longer ports. They are in OK cosmetic condition, and perfect working condition. I am the second owner and have been using them as my main speakers for over 8 years since I bought them. I have praised them many times on Audiogon, where I am known as roxy54.
They are sonically superior to all of the speakers that I owned before them. If you are interested, I could take pictures. I would ask $900.00.
Thanks, John

He and I have exchanged a number of emails, and he seems totally legit.  Question is whether a pair of cosmetically OK CF-4 version 1 worth $900 and the cost of shipping from Phoenix.

14 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Question is whether a pair of cosmetically OK CF-4 version 1 worth $900 and the cost of shipping from Phoenix.

Shipping would be a lot for a pair of speakers weighing 108 pounds each.

Let me give you my opinion, then I'll list some limited data.

My OPINION for a pair of CF-4 in good shape:

v1 $800

v2 $700

v3 $600

I only have three data points for CF-4 v1, but they are confirmed numbers.  You can see the v1 doesn't come onto the market all that often.

09/16 Condition A, Cherry, Washington DC  $1500

06/17 Condition A, Black, Salem OR $1430  I think this was an Ebay sale or some other auction site and they were originally listed for $1300 and didn't sell.  They were relisted and sold for $1430

06/17 Condition B, Med Oak, location unknown  $750

Somewhere I have a list of the sales prices that chased down to 2014.  I made an effort to confirm that they were all sales, but could not for about 5-10 of them. Most of them had a very short duration of availability, which I took as a sale.  As I recall, the prices were in clusters, one around $800, and one around $1,600.  A surprising number at $1600.  But for a 20-year old speaker with no parts, that just seems too high.  There are somewhat comparable alternatives in similarly configured speakers.  No idea if they are as good or better. If they were $900 including shipping that would be easy.  Then again, the pair in eBay right now are $1,075 with shipping because the idiot said $75 shipping. It would cost $500 to FedEx ground them to me. Not sure about version though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Somewhere I have a list of the sales prices that chased down to 2014.  I made an effort to confirm that they were all sales, but could not for about 5-10 of them.

That's pretty good research.  As always, valuing old speakers is at best an inexact science.

I started my spreadsheet a couple of years ago keeping pretty good track of Heritage speakers.  I never intended to track the CF-x series because I never thought I'd sell mine.  Then as CF-3/4's popped up I just made a quick note of prices on the spreadsheet, not keeping the detailed notes I did for the Heritage speakers.  That's why my data is limited.

I remember a couple of years ago a forum buddy in Miami had done a max mod of some CF-4 v1 and tried to sell them for $900.  He couldn't give them away, there just were no takers, and they were twice as nice as mine.

Speakers are worth what a willing seller and a willing buyer can agree on.

I made my list of CF-4 prices haphazardly when I kept finding ones that were sold and finally decided to keep track.  A great place to start is the sold list at hifishark.com, but a lot of that is unsold.  It is a bit easier with things like the CF-4 that sells quickly.  And you have to cross reference to eliminate duplicates.  Still a handy starting place. When I used to pay for the Audiogon value list, it was good too.

have you asked for pics to see the "OK" condition?  IMO, if they are only minor cosmetic issues & can be fixed with a little work then true v1's are worth $900.  FWIW, i sold my black v2 cf-4s a few years ago for $800 & they sold in less than 48 hours & the guy drove 3+ hours for them, granted they were a 9 out of 10 condition... i'm sure i could have got $900 but wanted a quick sale.  but since v1's are so rare & hard to come by i think the price is fair, just confirm they are really v1 by the date code, very easy to add longer ports to v2's. 

also when i bought my cf4's i had them shipped via fedex ground from tx to ia for about $110ea, they were in the original boxes so that kept the dimensions to a minimum, a few inches bigger on either number & they would have fallen into the oversized category & been double that price.  so if you can have the seller box them up securely into boxes about the same size as originals fedex will ship these fully insured for a reasonable price.

if youve been looking this long & have your heart set on v1 cf-4's, id get some pics & jump on them if they are in decent repairable condition.  i remember when WVU got his & had to restore the finish with some pretty big scratches, they came out very nice.  best of luck!

Thanks @EPICKLIPSCHFAN the owner and I are in regular touch.  They look fine to me.  We are trying to figure out shipping. Then there is the pair on eBay that I could get for $1075 delivered from Florida.  Tempting to try for both, but to make space and pay for them i probably would need to sell my current setup and then find a new center.  There is a single CF-3 in the neighborhood, but the guy wants $400 for it.  I was thinking that if I had 4 CF-4 and 1 CF-3, I would probable just have have a mismatched surround for now and have CF-4 across the front.

Interesting idea.  I wonder if I could get $2,500 for 3 RC-7, 2 RS-7, 2 RF-5 and the PB2 Plus subwoofer.  Of course by the time they sold, the others would be gone, and we would have to use the speakers in the Kuro plasma.

• Like 1

And by the way, the guy in Dallas with the the whitewash CF-3 for $500 called me.  He still has them and is perplexed.  I am too.  I am sure he would sell them for $400 if anyone is in the area and wants a pair.  I would paint them black and say they came that way. I can provide contact details if anyone wants them.

• Haha 1

i saw that pair on ebay with the backs removed... i would stay away from those, especially for that price.  the epic series cabinets are built very nice, not like the klf's & KG's, the backs on these should not have came off like that for any reason i can think of & he doesnt explain why.  & they are difinitely V2 or maybe even 3 based on the looks of the ports, not worth $1075 shipped IMO.

i have shipped quite a few large speakers over the years & tons of large car parts, i would suggest buying some boxes from places like u-haul & wrapping the speakers with 1" thick pink insulation board, along with some extra thick cardboard wrapped tightly on the corners, then you can fit the boxes over them & stuff any gaps or spaces with heavy packing paper or the small tight bubble wrap that you can get free from furniture stores that they ship mattresses in.  thats what i do for large or custom size items & have never had any issues... just dont use UPS!  i think they have gorillas there that they have jump up & down on valuable items no matter how well packed!  fedex is usually great at handling large items. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

And by the way, the guy in Dallas with the the whitewash CF-3 for $500 called me.  He still has them and is perplexed.  I am too.  I am sure he would sell them for $400 if anyone is in the area and wants a pair.  I would paint them black and say they came that way. I can provide contact details if anyone wants them.

He has them listed on here already. Painting them black woukd still leave you with cream colored grills and the baffle covering. I'd just leave them white wash, personally. 

What on earth is the deal with uploading pictures?  It takes a 400k file and says I have hit my 2MB limit.  And who has a 2MB limit these days.  I guess we have vintage speakers and a vintage website.  So I try to use a link to a picture, and nothing shows up.  Is there some magical website where I am supposed to store photos?  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw11s3l6ka5tv2d/cf41.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43x8x9zuww1i1rv/cf42.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wr3mdppntg27az/cf43.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bx6q1uc9kxz7gw/cf44.jpg?dl=0

Yeah, the 2mb limit is pretty small. Too bad Photobucket turned into a turd company. I always have to resize the crud out of pictures before I post on here. On Audiokarma, it kind of does it for you. But I understand their point of taking up drive space and Klipsch is kind enough to let us have this site. They should let us all ante up some money to buy them some drive space for storage. 

21 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Yeah, the 2mb limit is pretty small. Too bad Photobucket turned into a turd company. I always have to resize the crud out of pictures before I post on here. On Audiokarma, it kind of does it for you. But I understand their point of taking up drive space and Klipsch is kind enough to let us have this site. They should let us all ante up some money to buy them some drive space for storage. 

It really is given the divergent topics.  Frustrating that they cannot seem to upgrade the site. Plenty of hosts would take it with no limits, but this is a courtesy not a business priority.  I was frustrated but we can work around it.