Parellel Center Speakers

Moochman55

I am setting up a Home Theater with new speakers . Because of my space limitation on mounting my large TV above the fireplace,

can I include two center speakers installed on either side of the TV, both attached in parallel to the center channel? 

For now it will be powered by a Sony STR DN840.  The speakers are all 8 Ohm. I am not sure this will work, reduce performance or burn out any amp?

So far my plan includes: 

two Klipsch R 5800 WII

two Klipsch R5650-Sll

One or two Klipsch R5502 WII

Thanks

Hi @Moochman55, welcome to the Klipsch forums!  A worthy first question.

The quick answer is "yes" you can wire two speakers together in parallel for a center speaker.  It will put a greater strain on your amp and lesson the performance of each center speaker.  A single center speaker will be more dynamic, each of the pair of center speakers will be a little more dull sounding.

If you wire two 8 Ohm speakers in parallel you divide the impedance by half.  The amp will see a 4 Ohm load.  This puts a greater strain on the amp but most modern amps can handle 4 Ohm loads.  You will reduce the power to each speaker by 50%. 

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/calculator-speakers-in-parallel/

Mr. @Frzninvt gave you the best answer ^^^, comb filtering is an undesirable audio characteristic.  In this case one is better than two.

Still, you can try it and see if it sounds good to your ears.  If a dual center channel sounds better in your application, then that's what's best for you.