Forte II passive radiator repair question

Bub

Hi everybody. I'm a n00b here but I like what I see. I've already found a dozen new things to spend a boatload of money on.

Here's my situation. I picked up a set of Forte II's for free (not bad, right?). They're in great shape except for one thing...there's a small hole (1-2 inches maybe) torn in the surround of one of the KD15's.

My question is, what material and glue should I use to patch it up?

Thanks in advance!

I'm surprised no one have jumped in here yet...

I have used, quite successfully, a paper tissue on the back side of the surround, with glued with Weldbond. It stays fleixible. Is the piece missing or just a tear in it? If just a tear, apply some thinned out Weldbond, place some strong tissue like cigarette paper or similar. Do a few more coats of the thinned out glue. Let it dry well, and you will be good to go. Other adhesives will also work, but DJK recommended this to me years ago and I have done a number of repairs using this method and the speakers are still working fine.

Even did some JBLs with thin rubber surrounds. After doing a couple of splits I went over the whole surround on each speaker. They ar still rockin' and that was a good 10-12 years ago.

Bruce

You can get it a lot of different places:

https://www.staples.com/Weldbond-Universal-Adhesive-2-Oz-Tube-Pack-Of-4-4PK-8-120098/product_2130368?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:2130368&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2130368&KPID=2130368&cvosrc=PLA.google-SALES.Arts %26 Crafts&cvo_crid=189070941766&cvo_campaign=793525104&gclid=CjwKCAiA8P_TBRA9EiwAJrpHMypWcR7-UzIjLjWoE2oYEv6Bf36JksnJp1SLRjNqVlCEboWcexBnuRoCuigQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies and the generous offer 7heavenlyplaces!

I understand they're using the same PR's in the Forte III, so, first I'm going to give Klipsch a call and see what they're charging for a pair. If it's too much then I'll attempt a repair myself.

12 minutes ago, Bub said:

I understand they're using the same PR's in the Forte III, so, first I'm going to give Klipsch a call and see what they're charging for a pair. If it's too much then I'll attempt a repair myself.

Last i heard was around $150 for a pair.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2018 at 12:18 PM, Bub said:

Hi everybody. I'm a n00b here but I like what I see. I've already found a dozen new things to spend a boatload of money on.

Here's my situation. I picked up a set of Forte II's for free (not bad, right?). They're in great shape except for one thing...there's a small hole (1-2 inches maybe) torn in the surround of one of the KD15's.

My question is, what material and glue should I use to patch it up?

Thanks in advance!

If it's just a (small) tear, push it back in place and paint over it on the back with Elmer's or Titebond - you're done

If the tear won't lay flat and smooth when pressed in to place, use a soft brush and apply some isopropyl alcohol to the wound (dampen do NOT soak) then press/form the wound back together

After the alcohol dries (over night) the wound will be smooth and imperceptible

Then, just apply the glue on the back - the fibers in the cone will adsorb the glue

The cigarette paper suggestion is an excellent and time proven one but is overkill for a small wound

Reserve using paper for large tears and punctures 

On 2/12/2018 at 12:19 PM, Bub said:

No they are not the same.The older ones have a cloth surround and the new ones a rubber one. I ordered one of the new ones and it looked so odd compared to the old one that I decided never top do this again. Now this decision was based upon being able to readily resell them and consistent appearance is important. I got a recone kit next time around from Simply Speakers and it looks and sounds OEM to me. You do have to reuse the 3.6OZ weight from the old passive for the new one to keep the tuning right.

As others have said you can use black speaker cement and things like coffee filters are durable and make the patch on the back side for visual but make sure to use the glue on both sides. I have also been told heavy gel superglue can work to and emergency field repairs made this way have subsequently lasted for years. One of the guys who used to do SLV for the Grand Old Opry told me that one.