XF-48 Surround Setup

digregorioj

I finally got my XF-48's, XL-23, XB-10's, and XW-500D wired with my new receiver.   The trouble I am having now is the XF-48's seem to be over powering the entire system and giving off way too much base and the XL-23 can barely be heard.  I have them set to low frequency, they are connected through 16 gauge speaker wire, and the receiver and sub are both set at 80 for the cross over.  When I calibrate the Sony receiver the sound is a mess.   The front speaker levels show as 0 and the center is set at 3.   The only way to get it to sound normal is to drop the front speaker levels to -5.   Does anyone have any tips for setting this combination up.   I tried watching a music DVD earlier (Eagles) and the center channel wouldn't even play.  Then I threw in Matchbox 20 and the voice was good on the center channel but the front speakers were over powering.     I always seem to remember voice from music coming from the center speaker with my old receiver but with this one it is hit or miss depending on the DVD

Thanks

JD

bump - I am still trying to figure this out.   I have tried moving the front speakers further apart (10 feet now) and it still sounds bad.   My olds system had 3  of the XL-23's up front and I thought the XF-48's would be a good replacement but I am second guessing buying them.  I might try swapping out the receiver with my brothers older sony to see if it makes a difference.   This is what I hate about changing all components at once.   And for those wondering how I got the speakers to turn off, I bought a smart power strip with individual master slave outlets.   So when the receiver is off it will turn off the speakers and subwoofer.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:12 PM, digregorioj said:

I have them set to low frequency, they are connected through 16 gauge speaker wire, and the receiver and sub are both set at 80 for the cross over. 

Disable the low pass in the sub or set it to max.  Dial back the 48s and bump up the 23.

Bill

I spent another two hours last night and can't get the system dialed in.    For some reason music DVD's sound like complete crap - too much bass and no voice from the center channel.  I could have sworn using the concert setting on my old receiver produced voice from the center speaker.  The only way to get the voice is to use PLII MS or Multi ST on the receiver and even then it doesn't wow me.      When playing concert DVD's do most receivers produce sound from the center channel.   I am beginning to think the new receiver I bought just doesn't have the sound fields I am use to.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

42 minutes ago, digregorioj said:

I spent another two hours last night and can't get the system dialed in.    For some reason music DVD's sound like complete crap - too much bass and no voice from the center channel.  I could have sworn using the concert setting on my old receiver produced voice from the center speaker.  The only way to get the voice is to use PLII MS or Multi ST on the receiver and even then it doesn't wow me.      When playing concert DVD's do most receivers produce sound from the center channel.   I am beginning to think the new receiver I bought just doesn't have the sound fields I am use to.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

i had not heard of this system so i read a review.  it sounds like there are two sets of inputs for the main speakers l and r.  if this is the case try the 2nd set of inputs and then try to recalibrate.  since u have a receiver it may be mismatching with the different inputs and you cant get them to match because the other set of inputs are what will send the proper signal to the mains.

RoboKlipsch

Thanks for the response.  I am finding that the format of the concert DVD's play a huge role in my problem.  With my old receiver they all had voice on the center channel and now only certain ones do.  I watched David Gillmour last night and it sounded amazing.  However Santa Super Natural sounded goods during certain parts but other parts the center channel got lost

18 minutes ago, digregorioj said:

RoboKlipsch

Thanks for the response.  I am finding that the format of the concert DVD's play a huge role in my problem.  With my old receiver they all had voice on the center channel and now only certain ones do.  I watched David Gillmour last night and it sounded amazing.  However Santa Super Natural sounded goods during certain parts but other parts the center channel got lost

that should def be the recordings.  some are 2 channel and some are 4 channel without a center too, your processor also may have the ability to convert to other formats.

to know if your system works a movie dvd in 5.1 will do the trick.  after that, you are dealing with the fact that music recordings esp old ones have few standards and are all recorded differently.  if u watched the more recent DG that was 5.1 and your system works fine.  

all that said....calibrating the channels using an spl meter or your ear, with the avr test tones could help get you a better baseline to listen to everything