CD player filters?

mopardave

I have had this player along time, 15+yrs and i just discovered it had these filters.     Been listening to standard filter all this time.  I played with them a bit yesterday and filter 1 and 3 dont sound too bad to my ear with the Super Heresy's.    I did rebias my JJ KT77's  to 400ma from 430ma.  Not sure i like it there, might just rebias to 450 and leave filter on standard.

Not sure what's in the signal path to " Filter " out ....

My Rotel RCD-991 has a dither control with 10 setting to " add " to the signal , not filter anything out .

Dither is described as :   “a very small amount of digital noise added to a signal to improve a CD player’s overall sound quality [by improving] a digital-to-analog converter’s linearity, particularly during very soft (low-level) musical passages).

In addition to a no dither setting there are seven settings which progressively add more ultrasonic (30-80Khz) weighted dither and, an eighth setting which adds low level broadband dither “not weighted towards the ultrasonic range” which is intended to correct quantization errors only.

Is it audible ??  ... you bet , I can hear the difference

2 hours ago, mopardave said:

I think filter is the wrong desciption.   Each filter setting rolls off differently.   filter 1 brings the vocals more forward, making them sound  cleaner as well.  The standard setting sounds very flat to me now.  

Similar to as I stated earlier.  Read https://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-scd-c333es-sacdcd-player-measurements

3 hours ago, mopardave said:

I think filter is the wrong desciption.   Each filter setting rolls off differently.   filter 1 brings the vocals more forward, making them sound  cleaner as well.  The standard setting sounds very flat to me now.  

That's also sounds like pre-set EQ ?