Horn sub(s) to Belle/La Scala preferable?

uams

17 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yes, I think that I got that.  Good luck...

As Jason asked of me above specificity (of context) is important, and a great ally when coming about sonic impressions. I find it difficult to fathom why the aspect of subjectivity when trying to come about ones perceived sonic impressions may seem either intimidating or even fruitless, because ultimately and at the end of the day sonic impressions is what it's all about. I'm not trying to "devaluate" objective data, on the contrary, but what's perceived by the ear (and body) is equally or even more important. But that's just me..

In any case you also provided me with "subjective" intel, which I'm glad you did ;) 

3 minutes ago, jason str said:

I assume you mean the Labhorn ?

Good for live sound applications, better options are available if you need something for home use.

That what I mean, yes. 

What are the better options for home use in your opinion? 

On ‎20‎-‎02‎-‎2018 at 12:16 AM, jason str said:

The THT or THTLP using the recommended Dayton driver would be my first choice for music or home theater, the wider the cabinet the better.

Now that looks interesting, thanks. Those are potentially BIG a** suckers, in fact the wider versions would need to be build in-room (but how then to get them out..?). Will be looking into this for sure. 

On ‎20‎-‎02‎-‎2018 at 12:11 AM, CECAA850 said:

There's a pretty popular Lab 12 driver in a tapped horn as well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/143714-lab12-tapped-horn.html

Looks more compact - thanks also for this. 

2 minutes ago, uams said:

Not that looks interesting, thanks. Those are potentially BIG a** suckers, in fact the wider versions would need to be build in-room (but how then to get them out..?). Will be looking into this for sure. 

The THTLP is 18" deep and will fit through any doorway, face up firing at the ceiling to take up minimum floor space.

3 minutes ago, jason str said:

The THTLP is 18" deep and will fit through any doorway, face up firing at the ceiling to take up minimum floor space.

Would this "Low Profile" version take a hit with regard to bass impact/sensitivity?

5 minutes ago, jason str said:

Same horn as the THT but folded differently. There are 3 versions THT, THTLP end firing and THTLP front firing versions. All sound the same.

Have you heard them, or one of their iterations?

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Well then there's that to... 

I mean one can look at Mike's post as hyperbolic, but like many legends and fairytales, there is always an element of truth.

plenty of hyperbole in my statement, but feel free to draw your own conclusions with three horn subs in my living room. :D

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Had never heard of the Audio Uccello before this. I googled them up for a look. Gorgeous looking speaker and seems to be very similar conceptualy to the LaScala. The wooden horns are interesting.

@YK Thom

Thank you for your interest in the Uccello's :) They're actually based on the Klipsch Belle (a "pretty-fied" La Scala); that is, the bass horn is similar, but the rest - be that the enclosure construction, x-overs, mids and tweeter drivers and their accompanying horns (the woofer is Crites CW1526C, supposedly a close-to clone of the square magnet K-33E), cables and terminals - is different. They're build from ground up, of course, and are beautifully made. The mids and tweeter horns are CNC machined, stacked plywood. 

I have never heard the original Belle, so can't compare, but the Uccello's sport a coherent, effortless/uninhibited, extremely dynamic, and both warm and crisp sound. Their immediacy/presence and sense of alive-ness is something altogether different compared to most any direct radiating speaker I've heard. They're augmented below their cut-off frequency (non-filtered) with a DR sub, but am looking into a horn-loaded sub solution - like the Tuba HT (Low Profile) or in that ballpark. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, 

I've seen some mention also of a horn sub in the same ballpark as the THT(LP), namely "lilmike's" Cinema F20. Supposedly it's an easier build and tuned ever so slightly lower (19Hz compared to the THT's 22Hz), and sized not that far off from the THTLP.

Does anyone here know of or even use the F20, and if so what's the difference in performance compared to the THT?

36 minutes ago, uams said:

Hi folks, 

I've seen some mention also of a horn sub in the same ballpark as the THT(LP), namely "lilmike's" Cinema F20. Supposedly it's an easier build and tuned ever so slightly lower (19Hz compared to the THT's 22Hz), and sized not that far off from the THTLP.

Does anyone here know of or even use the F20, and if so what's the difference in performance compared to the THT?

If you search "Cinems F-20 Build" in the Subwoofer section of the forum you will find a lot of info. There are many forum members who own and swear by this sub. I don't remember if there is a lot of comparative data posted, but others may chime in with their experiences.

I tried to post a link to one of the build threads, but can't figure how. Any hints from the gallery?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uams said:

Hi folks, 

The THT is meant to be fired into a boundary, the F-20 is not. Placed in a corner or firing into any boundary all bets are off, the THT uses the boundary to extend the horn and add 12+ dB not including cabin gain.

Pay the extra $15 for the plans, easier is not better in this case.

• Like 1