Vasubandu's Tower of Subwoofer Build

vasubandu

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, CECAA850 said:

I'll bet @Mallette would beg to differ especially if you're listening to musical content with deep bass.  Sometimes it's nice to have that extra octave.  I made a believer out of him.

I can play content where my sub is needed, but I can never get it to blend right.  If I can hear it, it seem to muddy up things and when I turn it low enough that it doesn't, I cant hear it at all.  Now if I'm playing multi channel Audio I will run the Sub, but then with everything playing including my LaScala rears, there is so much going on it doesn't really matter.  I keep the X-over up in the 70-80 cycle range for Movies, but I have always needed to take it down to about 40 and start moving it around the room to find the best spot.  I rarely go past 1 watt and I'm a 90+% two channel music guy, so I hardly ever even plug it in.

Off-topic question (now there's a surprise), but I don't want to clutter the forum up with  needless topics.  Voilti Audio sells a replacement for the Fc260 and Fc280 horns that are described as "Built with a 2" throat and a known tractrix flare." What would one use to produce sound with these? Would it need to be a 2" driver of some kind? As Barbie would say, "Horns are hard."  Just trying to understand a few things.  

I found this comment by @Al Klappenberger way back in 2010

There is simply no good reason to go to a 2-inch throat horn unless you are running levels approaching those needed for a movie theater. The pressure in the throat of a horn is a function of the volume level and the diameter. The higher the level and the smaller the diameter the more the pressure. The higher the pressure the more distortion is generated. At volume levels a normal person can even stand in a home environment is well below the level where distortion becomes noticeable in a 1-inch horn. At normal listening levels, a 2-inch horn boils down to spending $1200 for a $200 improvement! With a Khorn there is another factor however. Evan at normal listening levels there is no quality 1-inch driver available that can reproduce 400 Hz without distortion, which is the required crossover frequency for a Khorn. Only the stock K55 can handle it. It takes a 2-inch driver to actually improve on a K55, which is really not a bad driver at all. All this boils down to if you want to improve on the K55. If so, you MUST go 2-inch! By far, the best bang for the buck is moving from the stock K400 to a better 1-inch horn and keep the k55. The difference will knock your socks off!

But then there was this from @greg928gts

During my 20 year ownership of Khorns, I went through a long upgrade path, and I spent a great deal of money along the way. I don't regret any of it, that's the hobby - the never-ending process that is being an audiophile.

I am currently enjoying the best sound I have ever had from my Khorns, and a big part of that comes from the larger format, 2" throat horn and 2" outlet midrange driver combination for the midrange. The K55 is a remarkably good midrange driver, considering the age of the design and the simplicity of the construction, but I found that I had to get away from that type of driver to really get the most from the midrange in my own system, and I'm really glad I did it.

Decisions about any part of an audiophile's system are always driven by budget. My advice to you is to seek out and talk directly to at least a few people (not one or two) that have switched to the larger format. Many of those who have switched to the larger format had already upgraded to different midrange horns using the same smaller format K55 drivers in the past, and they can offer a particularly good perspective on the cost/benefit ratio.

You are welcome to contact me directly and I can put you in touch with dozens of people who are extremely happy that they upgraded to the larger format midrange.

Greg

Now I am really confused, even for me. You know all those designs of the big speakers with 2 huge woofers top and bottom with the fat lips sticking out the middle?  What are those lips and what is behind it? Just trying to put pieces together.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone still following this saga, all I can say is that sometimes bad news is good news.  I was wondering why I did not have a shipping number for my pair of 32 inch speaker, and Chris Guo, the guy I am dealing with sent me an email that customs said I had the wrong bond. I didn't and a little bribe could have fixed it, but he said no.  And then he asked me if I was sure that I was getting the right subwoofer because he said that the have better.  So he sent me data on the ones that he said were the right ones, along with the for the 24 an 21 inch drivers.  

I have to admit that he caught me flat footed when I got them. I was expecting something sketchy like I got from other people there, but I have never even heard of some of this stuff.  The weird thing is that his profile lists the percentages of his market by area and he has nothing in North America.  I would expect them to overstate that, so I am taking his at his word.  The company is Fuhe and I cannot find any sign of it here.  If these are good that opens all kinds of possibilities. They have everything from titanium tweeters to coaxial 12 and 15 inch drivers.  Maybe I can make my own CF-4 after all.

21_Page1_Image1.jpg

24.jpg

32.jpg

4 hours ago, babadono said:

What dat? wrong bond?

You literally have to have a bond to import anything legally from China.  I only know of one.  

All importers are required to have a bond on file with Customs.

A Customs Bond is an insurance policy that guarantees payment to U.S. Customs and Border Protection of all duties and taxes due on an import shipment. All import entries valued over $2500 must be accompanied by evidence that a bond has been posted with CBP to cover any potential duties, taxes, and charges that may accrue. A bond also allows importers to take possession of their merchandise more quickly.

There are two main types of bonds. An importer can choose to purchase a Single Entry Bond or a Continuous Bond. A Continuous Bond (also known as an Annual Bond) is almost always the most cost effective option, especially because a Continuous Bond also fulfills an importer’s obligations to have an Importer Security Filing (ISF) bond on file.

As Single Entry Bond covers only the entry or transaction for which it was written. A Continuous Bond, however, has a term of one year and covers all entries during that year. So the more entries per year, the more cost effective the Continuous Bond becomes. A Continuous Bond is also easier to administer, because an importer only needs to purchase one bond each year. Because it is automatically renewed each year, a Continuous Bond remains valid until it is terminated by the surety or the principal.

Bond

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Accordion surrounds on a subwoofer driver?  LOL.  They look like pro style drivers.  There are no x-max numbers on any of them, even the one with a rubber surround.

I requested the x-max numbers.  We shall see.  As for the accordions, the Chinese are notorious fans of Polka music. Makes sense that they would share the love., 

Having an idea what you want to build and WHY helps a lot.

youre searching for overseas drivers when u know full well at avs there are 21s 24s and 18s with builds capable of doing ANYTHING

im rarily critical and try to stay out of your threads but i cant tell if you just want attention?  you have multiple threads here and at avs and have gotten some of the best minds from both to respond. you are losing credibility changing your mind constantly....imo

you have no idea what you want...if u did u would say i want xxxx and you would have it

i challenge you to articulate what exactly youre trying to do

nobody can tell and im surprised youre still being taken seriously

i apologize if this seems rude but ive never seen anything quite like this...a half dozen threads and not one with a goal

am i out of line suggesting this?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

am i out of line suggesting this?

Pretty much spot on, that's why I've stopped giving suggestions.  He seems nice enough but I can't follow all the different directions he's going.  In the time this thread has been opened, I've built and my son in law has veneered a sub.  Have a goal and build or buy to the goal.  It's pretty simple.

20180226_193134.jpg

• Like 2

The last time I checked in you were saying that you didn't really have the room for THT horn loaded subs but now you're buying 36" pro style woofers from China?

Rock on. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk