Vasubandu's Tower of Subwoofer Build

vasubandu

44 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Pretty much spot on, that's why I've stopped giving suggestions.  He seems nice enough but I can't follow all the different directions he's going.  In the time this thread has been opened, I've built and my son in law has veneered a sub.  Have a goal and build or buy to the goal.  It's pretty simple.

20180226_193134.jpg

thanks cec i was a bit hesitant to post that but felt it was in his best interest.  vanu seems a very nice guy.

thats some beyond pro veneer work, can hardly see the sides the pattern consistency is so good 👍

i see a big vent like for a tht is that what was built?

you are one of the resources i referred to...invaluable free advice from people like u...i know i have benefited

klipsch forum is lucky to have you as a mod 👏

8 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

It's a Cinema F-20.  Digs one or two Hz lower than a THT, is just as efficient and clean.  It's also infinitely easier to build and the plans are free.  This is the 3'rd one I've built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

thanks cec i was a bit hesitant to post that but felt it was in his best interest.  vanu seems a very nice guy.

thats some beyond pro veneer work, can hardly see the sides the pattern consistency is so good 👍

you are one of the resources i referred to...invaluable free advice from people like u...i know i have benefited

klipsch forum is lucky to have you as a mod 👏

I thought Carl was here for his slushy making skills :D

4 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Having an idea what you want to build and WHY helps a lot.

youre searching for overseas drivers when u know full well at avs there are 21s 24s and 18s with builds capable of doing ANYTHING

im rarily critical and try to stay out of your threads but i cant tell if you just want attention?  you have multiple threads here and at avs and have gotten some of the best minds from both to respond. you are losing credibility changing your mind constantly....imo

you have no idea what you want...if u did u would say i want xxxx and you would have it

i challenge you to articulate what exactly youre trying to do

nobody can tell and im surprised youre still being taken seriously

i apologize if this seems rude but ive never seen anything quite like this...a half dozen threads and not one with a goal

am i out of line suggesting this?

I don't want attention. I do want information and help.  My singular goal is to learn.  I want to learn how speaker work on a physical level, I want to learn how to build a good subwoofer, I want to learn if I can accomplish something by doing things differently, I want to learn if Chinese companies make decent audio equipment, I want to learn about box and tube enclosures for subwoofers, but I also want to learn and infinite baffle and open baffle subwoofers, I want to learn if a much larger subwoofer would do the bass what larger woofers did for my audio in general.  

I don't want attention in the sense that I so not care what anyone else thinks about me.  That was something that my father ingrained in my when I was in junior high (middle school).  One day, he said to me, "Son, you are a weirdo.  You always have been a weirdo and you always will be a weirdo.  The question is whether you are going to be a happy weirdo or a miserable one.  And that depends on one thing, whether you care what other people think about you.  Because if you care, you are giving them power, and since you are weirdo, they are going to use that power against you."  It tool me a while, but I do not recall caring what anyone thought about me unless I decided to.  I care what my wife thinks about everything, including me, and I care what my kids think, although they would deny it. I care what a very few of my friends think, and beyond that, I just don't give a ****.  That does not mean that I don't care about people because I do. It just means that I define myself and I am not going to let anyone else do it.  

So I don't think that you are rude, and I am not offended.  I think about what people say, and I adjust my behavior if I think that I should. I am sorry that my posts have affected you that way, and while part of me wants to say then don't read it, another part says that maybe you have a point and I should adjust things.  By the way. looking at the list of posts that I started, I see this for February

2/28        Optoma Projectors

2/17     Dilemma about subwoofers

2/10     Followup on subwoofers

2/8       Crazy idea for subwoofers

2/8       Would this work (subwoofers)

2/4       Garage Sale

2/3        Integra question

I don't know if that is too many or not.  Now, if you look at January, I was a complete mess.  And people told me privately and publicly that I was overdoing it.  When looked back at it, I had to agree.  I probably could have put all the subwoofer stuff in a single post.  I thought I had reasons for new posts, but I don't even remember what they were, so I think I will try to avoid that.  I probably do post more than most here but that is because I am at my computer around 16 hours a day, and when something comes in I read it. 

Bottom line is that I will consider your post and took it as a comment meant to help me.

• Like 1

I haven't read all the posts, so someone may have covered these topics.

FWIW, with my so-so subwoofer (Klipsch RSW-15), I can hear 30 Hz & 20 Hz, but there are some properties of test tones that low that one should take into consideration.  You may well know all this already, but just in case: 

• 30 Hz & 20 Hz will sound much, much softer to the human ear than midrange tones of the same measured SPL.  If you have your volume control adjusted so that 1K Hz  is 80 dB, you would have to turn it up 30 more dB, to 110 dB, for a 30 Hz tone to sound equally loud.  For speaker and ear safety, I certainly don't recommend that with a steady tone (there are some extremely brief peaks, probably measured in milliseconds, that get to 115 dB in some movies, within the subwoofer range).  If you have the volume at about 40 dB at 1K Hz, you wouldn't hear 30 Hz, unless you have your ear right up to the sub.
  • image.png.00516194090f0458c58e3d495d7ed161.png
  • Something like DEQ (part of Audyssey XT and the superior XT32) will turn up the bass and high treble for you, when you run movies (although I prefer to avoid it, and listen only about 5 dB below Reference, therefore only losing a little perception of bass).  Old fashioned loudness controls do something similar, but only the ones with two continuously variable controls will work with speakers as efficient as Klipsch.  Fixed loudness controls won't work well for Heritage users, which is probably why PWK said they were "always wrong."
  • Some speakers, when reproducing pure tones (sine waves) of, say 20 or 30 Hz, will do what is called "doubling" and also produce tones at twice that frequency.  This is undesirable.
  • Many movies have bass below 20 Hz, some as low as 5 Hz or lower!  This last is madness.  I'm told it is not reproducible in commercial theaters!  Take a look at this graph!  http://content.invisioncic.com/r161638/monthly_10_2014/post-17-0-45280900-1413144016.png
  • What are we to do?  How about a horn loaded subwoofer as big as a room, in fact, made out of an adjoining room?  That, or a horn loaded sub down to about 20 Hz, and then a conventional, but excellent, sub-sub for 5 Hz to 20 Hz.

3 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I don't want attention. I do want information and help.  My singular goal is to learn.  I want to learn how speaker work on a physical level, I want to learn how to build a good subwoofer, I want to learn if I can accomplish something by doing things differently, I want to learn if Chinese companies make decent audio equipment, I want to learn about box and tube enclosures for subwoofers, but I also want to learn and infinite baffle and open baffle subwoofers, I want to learn if a much larger subwoofer would do the bass what larger woofers did for my audio in general.  

I don't want attention in the sense that I so not care what anyone else thinks about me.  That was something that my father ingrained in my when I was in junior high (middle school).  One day, he said to me, "Son, you are a weirdo.  You always have been a weirdo and you always will be a weirdo.  The question is whether you are going to be a happy weirdo or a miserable one.  And that depends on one thing, whether you care what other people think about you.  Because if you care, you are giving them power, and since you are weirdo, they are going to use that power against you."  It tool me a while, but I do not recall caring what anyone thought about me unless I decided to.  I care what my wife thinks about everything, including me, and I care what my kids think, although they would deny it. I care what a very few of my friends think, and beyond that, I just don't give a ****.  That does not mean that I don't care about people because I do. It just means that I define myself and I am not going to let anyone else do it.  

So I don't think that you are rude, and I am not offended.  I think about what people say, and I adjust my behavior if I think that I should. I am sorry that my posts have affected you that way, and while part of me wants to say then don't read it, another part says that maybe you have a point and I should adjust things.  By the way. looking at the list of posts that I started, I see this for February

2/28        Optoma Projectors

2/17     Dilemma about subwoofers

2/10     Followup on subwoofers

2/8       Crazy idea for subwoofers

2/8       Would this work (subwoofers)

2/4       Garage Sale

2/3        Integra question

I don't know if that is too many or not.  Now, if you look at January, I was a complete mess.  And people told me privately and publicly that I was overdoing it.  When looked back at it, I had to agree.  I probably could have put all the subwoofer stuff in a single post.  I thought I had reasons for new posts, but I don't even remember what they were, so I think I will try to avoid that.  I probably do post more than most here but that is because I am at my computer around 16 hours a day, and when something comes in I read it. 

Bottom line is that I will consider your post and took it as a comment meant to help me.

I appreciate u taking the time to explain.

For 1000-2000 u can build the top sealed, ported or horn sub.   Rivaling or equaling the best money can buy for up to 10k.  For some reason you want to be a master builder of speakers but dont want to learn the basics by building something reasonable...instead you are proposing crazy builds nobody does because they dont make sound design sense.  Ive said before and wont say again...walk before u run.  If you dont really intend to build and are just learning it would be kind of misleading to say you are buying xxx and not really doing it.  

If your goal is to learn then ask google questions and every answer you want is there for you.  If you want to do a build be realistic pick a known design and ask questions about your specific build.

My 2c.  

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, CECAA850 said:

The design should be finalized before you purchase anything.

what makes you know more than him? His knowledge of stereo gear. he has one in a huge collection;  the deepest collection I have seen. Ritchie and others goy in the sea

14 hours ago, muel said:

He's just all over the place and taking us along for the ride.

It's been interesting I suppose

Choose a path and take it.

A friend had a flat tire the other day... must have been that fork.

Spot on. No it has not been interesting and never any concrete results. At some point in time you have to do something besides talk if you want to be taken seriously..

For me the title of the thread is deceiving.   It leads you to believe something is actually being built. If that were the case I believe that myself and others would be more than happy to help.

Google for hypotheticals is an excellent suggestion. 

as one who questions "conventional wisdom" which does tend to discourage experimentation ...

I waded through a lot of discouraging comments with some of my "off the wall" ideas.  Proof of concept and a working prototype will go a long way.  Then watch out for intellectual property theft.

One of my concepts for r/c helicopters appeared on a major makers shortly after I showed a proof of concept. I prefer to think it was parallel evolution but, it was awfully coincidental.

Until you see it won't work, go for it.