vasubandu

Vasubandu's Tower of Subwoofer Build

10 minutes ago, cincymat said:

I’m certain I saw this in the original Hustler store here in Cincinnati sometime in the mid 1980's...

Where you there just browsing :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, cincymat said:

I’m certain I saw this in the original Hustler store here in Cincinnati sometime in the mid 1980's...

And the sounds it elicited were definitely low and powerful.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, CECAA850 said:

I'll bet @Mallette would beg to differ especially if you're listening to musical content with deep bass.  Sometimes it's nice to have that extra octave.  I made a believer out of him.

I can play content where my sub is needed, but I can never get it to blend right.  If I can hear it, it seem to muddy up things and when I turn it low enough that it doesn't, I cant hear it at all.  Now if I'm playing multi channel Audio I will run the Sub, but then with everything playing including my LaScala rears, there is so much going on it doesn't really matter.  I keep the X-over up in the 70-80 cycle range for Movies, but I have always needed to take it down to about 40 and start moving it around the room to find the best spot.  I rarely go past 1 watt and I'm a 90+% two channel music guy, so I hardly ever even plug it in.

24 minutes ago, Max2 said:

If I can hear it, it seem to muddy up things

That's an integration issue or poor quality sub.  Probably the former.

Off-topic question (now there's a surprise), but I don't want to clutter the forum up with  needless topics.  Voilti Audio sells a replacement for the Fc260 and Fc280 horns that are described as "Built with a 2" throat and a known tractrix flare." What would one use to produce sound with these? Would it need to be a 2" driver of some kind? As Barbie would say, "Horns are hard."  Just trying to understand a few things.  

I found this comment by @Al Klappenberger way back in 2010

There is simply no good reason to go to a 2-inch throat horn unless you are running levels approaching those needed for a movie theater. The pressure in the throat of a horn is a function of the volume level and the diameter. The higher the level and the smaller the diameter the more the pressure. The higher the pressure the more distortion is generated. At volume levels a normal person can even stand in a home environment is well below the level where distortion becomes noticeable in a 1-inch horn. At normal listening levels, a 2-inch horn boils down to spending $1200 for a $200 improvement! With a Khorn there is another factor however. Evan at normal listening levels there is no quality 1-inch driver available that can reproduce 400 Hz without distortion, which is the required crossover frequency for a Khorn. Only the stock K55 can handle it. It takes a 2-inch driver to actually improve on a K55, which is really not a bad driver at all. All this boils down to if you want to improve on the K55. If so, you MUST go 2-inch! By far, the best bang for the buck is moving from the stock K400 to a better 1-inch horn and keep the k55. The difference will knock your socks off!

But then there was this from @greg928gts

During my 20 year ownership of Khorns, I went through a long upgrade path, and I spent a great deal of money along the way. I don't regret any of it, that's the hobby - the never-ending process that is being an audiophile.

I am currently enjoying the best sound I have ever had from my Khorns, and a big part of that comes from the larger format, 2" throat horn and 2" outlet midrange driver combination for the midrange. The K55 is a remarkably good midrange driver, considering the age of the design and the simplicity of the construction, but I found that I had to get away from that type of driver to really get the most from the midrange in my own system, and I'm really glad I did it.

Decisions about any part of an audiophile's system are always driven by budget. My advice to you is to seek out and talk directly to at least a few people (not one or two) that have switched to the larger format. Many of those who have switched to the larger format had already upgraded to different midrange horns using the same smaller format K55 drivers in the past, and they can offer a particularly good perspective on the cost/benefit ratio.

You are welcome to contact me directly and I can put you in touch with dozens of people who are extremely happy that they upgraded to the larger format midrange.

Greg

Now I am really confused, even for me. You know all those designs of the big speakers with 2 huge woofers top and bottom with the fat lips sticking out the middle?  What are those lips and what is behind it? Just trying to put pieces together.