HELP PLEASE! RP260F+RC62ii OR 3 RB81II FOR FRONTS

shaneacook1989

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

You would blow up your ears before u ever came close to using that.  

I think perhaps people are missing my point, or else I'm an extremely poor communicator.  There is a lot of discussion about volume.  To me volume does not equal quality of sound.

I personally never want to spec a system where the amp is required to approach 100% of its capacity in order to drive the speakers at the lowest end of its design spec.  When you talk about maxxing out the OP's avr "for that brief moment" how about you never max it out?  How about you never get above 50% so you get pure clean sound without distortion that can effortlessly manage the dynamic range of a THX Ultra setup? :) I guess it's just a different approach to system design.

My main stereo amp, a Yamaha MX1000, is rated for 265 watts per channel @ .003% THD.  I don't want to get anywhere near the high end of that capacity, let alone "max out" the amp just to reach my studio monitors' continuous watt rating.  Just smooth, clean sound... effortlessly.

That's all I'm saying.  The OP is free to do whatever he wants.  Everyone has a different opinion.  To me it's like buying a Ferrari with a Prius engine.  You'll strain that engine to the utmost just driving the car around the block.  Forget trying to even come close to reaching the potential of what the car was designed for.  People are saying... "yeah but you can still get it to 100 mph... maxxed out."  They seem to forget the car was designed to go 225 mph.  How does it accelerate with a Prius engine?  What does it sound like at 100mph?  How long can you drive it 100mph and what is the experience like?  And does it feel like what you expected a Ferrari to feel like?

Edited by BonsaNut
  • Like 1

i think those are excellent points BonsaNut.  I have an externally amped system with a few thousand watts to run my theater system and understand where u are coming from.

we cant get too ahead of ourselves though.  short of a few high end consumer products there arent many speakers rated with higher sensitivity.....klipschhorns for example.

we have no idea if the op even iistens at reference or how often....so i didnt want to confuse the discussion going past his own questions of which speakers to buy by then saying hey more amp...what about treatment etc....

running at under 10watts most of the time he will have no distortion....if an explosion hits the max amp power and has even 1% distortion he wont notice that either imo.  it would be very loud music where he would hear that qualitative diference at high volumes....very high.  since he has a giant screen in the room i think he doubtfully does critical listening at 100+db...that was why i didnt get into the amp.

to me when a q is asked i try to answer thoroughly but not go past it too far.  we can always spend more money on better....but most people just want their q answered i think

2 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

to me when a q is asked i try to answer thoroughly but not go past it too far

I completely agree!  I get frustrated when there is a lot of what I'll call "system creep" where someone asks for opinions about a $1200 pair of speakers, and someone else responds with a negative opinion of said speakers because they "aren't as nice as" a pair of speakers costing 4x as much.  Orly?  I was just reading a post about someone asking about a $600 sub, and someone else offering up a $5000 sub solution as an alternative.

We've got a little bit of a chicken and egg conundrum here.  The OP wants to upgrade his speakers, but he may be getting ahead of himself, in terms of what his receiver can handle (personal opinion).  Of course, we can always just say... great speaker upgrade but your next step may be a new A/V receiver, or an independent amp to drive your LCR.  I also think there is a general misunderstanding that more watts = louder sound, when what people really need to consider is more watt headroom = better sound.

Well... I hope that he reads my comments as constructive point of view - something else to put in the hopper as he builds his system.

Edited by BonsaNut
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2018 at 11:05 AM, RoboKlipsch said:

i think those are excellent points BonsaNut.  I have an externally amped system with a few thousand watts to run my theater system and understand where u are coming from.

we cant get too ahead of ourselves though.  short of a few high end consumer products there arent many speakers rated with higher sensitivity.....klipschhorns for example.

we have no idea if the op even iistens at reference or how often....so i didnt want to confuse the discussion going past his own questions of which speakers to buy by then saying hey more amp...what about treatment etc....

running at under 10watts most of the time he will have no distortion....if an explosion hits the max amp power and has even 1% distortion he wont notice that either imo.  it would be very loud music where he would hear that qualitative diference at high volumes....very high.  since he has a giant screen in the room i think he doubtfully does critical listening at 100+db...that was why i didnt get into the amp.

to me when a q is asked i try to answer thoroughly but not go past it too far.  we can always spend more money on better....but most people just want their q answered i think

On 2/12/2018 at 1:13 PM, BonsaNut said:

I completely agree!  I get frustrated when there is a lot of what I'll call "system creep" where someone asks for opinions about a $1200 pair of speakers, and someone else responds with a negative opinion of said speakers because they "aren't as nice as" a pair of speakers costing 4x as much.  Orly?  I was just reading a post about someone asking about a $600 sub, and someone else offering up a $5000 sub solution as an alternative.

We've got a little bit of a chicken and egg conundrum here.  The OP wants to upgrade his speakers, but he may be getting ahead of himself, in terms of what his receiver can handle (personal opinion).  Of course, we can always just say... great speaker upgrade but your next step may be a new A/V receiver, or an independent amp to drive your LCR.  I also think there is a general misunderstanding that more watts = louder sound, when what people really need to consider is more watt headroom = better sound.

Well... I hope that he reads my comments as constructive point of view - something else to put in the hopper as he builds his system.

Thank you both so much for your input, it honestly helps me more than you know. I apologize it took me a day to get back to you, I have been a little busy but had a chance to stop at best buy and the only klipsch dealer within probably 60-100 miles. The dealer only had the rf7ii and those are out of my price range. No rbs or rps at all. Then I went to best buy and listened to the 28f and wasn't very impressed. I didn't turn it up very loud though, maybe half way I just didn't want to be "that guy" lol. I taled to the guy at best buy briefly but he didn'  seem like he knew what he was talking about. I mentioned getting 5 rbs and he looked at me like I had 3 eyes. He said that he has never heard of that before and proceeded to tell me that they make different speakers because they have different functions. I already knew coming into this that 5 of the same speaker is ideal if they can be placed correctly. So no real luck getting to hear any of them in person so I am going to have to go in blind.

Again I appreciate the advice from both of you and have taken all of it into consideration. As I don't plan on listening at ear bleeding levels I think I will stick with the bigger speakers and down the road upgrade the receiver eventually. The 6300h is what I would be leaning towards. I think it would be easier to buy one receiver than it is to buy five or six different speakers down the road lol and cheaper. The few I guess you call them external amps? Seem very expensive. I would think put that money into a more powerful receiver? I'm probably wrong on that but just a thought.

Ok...so after your recommendations I think I will eventually get 5 of the rb81ii. I am going to try and wait until I can get 5 of them for 200ish a piece. I know I will be happy with that but...I just can't get the thought of passing up 2 rp280fs for 300 a piece, scratch and dent. That's what's getting to me the most lol. You guys are going to really hate me but I still haven't ruled out 5 really 6 rp160ms if I can't get a better deal than 280 a piece for the rb81s. Again you guys have been so much help I guess I am just really indecisive when it comes to this. 

Edited by shaneacook1989

Not trying to confuse you any further but I have the 280s and love them, absolutely amazing....  however I agree I agree that you probably can't go wrong with the other options either, I've heard great things about both...  I would stay away from the 28fs if possible, and there is a reason you were not that were not that impressed they are not near the speaker compared to what we're talking about here....

• Like 1

Great that you made the effort and gave demos a shot, annoying as heck the Klipsch dealer didnt have bookshelf samples.

Heres a few thoughts.  There is a very well known and trusted Klipsch dealer that inhabits this forum all the time.  If you PM him he will give you a deeply discounted quote on anything you want, and as a Klipsch dealer, he will sell and send them to you with full warranty.

I get u have an interest in the bigger towers.  That is fine....but scratch and dent imo is not the best deal.  BUT if u did that, the matching line is the rp160ms, which will give you an almost perfect match.

It may be hard to grasp, but most of the benefits of the rp280fs will be much less because you will be using subs.  Ive had large, medium and small towers and bookshelves.   And changed from towers to bookshelves.

See what quote u get from the dealer, he may be able to meet or beat your target.

This is the link to the trusted dealer.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/59101-metropolislakeoutfitters/

This link below is a very well known member who not only is a very experienced speaker builder but also an expert in Klipsch, so much so he is a moderator on this forum.  He is not a dealer but knows enough to give u great advice so ask him anything you want to know.  He has given me advice many times and i consider him a very valuable friend to have here at Klipsch.  My mbm build is a direct result of conversations with him.  

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/13087-cecaa850/

This is the link to the trusted dealer.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/59101-metropolislakeoutfitters/

This link below is a very well known member who not only is a very experienced speaker builder but also an expert in Klipsch, so much so he is a moderator on this forum.  He is not a dealer but knows enough to give u great advice so ask him anything you want to know.  He has given me advice many times and i consider him a very valuable friend to have here at Klipsch.  My mbm build is a direct result of conversations with him.  

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/13087-cecaa850/

Wow! Thank you again so much. I think I agree with you about the big towers now and will most likely rule them out. Let me digest all of this some more and see what price I can get from who you mentioned. I will keep you all informed. Thanks again!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xo705cf said:

Robo what is your current set up speaker/sub wise.

If u can switch to desktop version u can see my theaters in my signature.

Living room is rp160ms with an rp250c, and 4 bookshelves along with 4 infinity sealed subs.  Lightly treated room.

Basement is my baby, Diysg htm12s for lcr, custom mbms for midbass, klipsch rs52s, rb51s and 4 very big ported subs in a theater level of room treatment.  Id guess i have 125db available across the board using external amps.  Subs are flat response to about 10hz.

I LOVE movies and games.  

8 hours ago, shaneacook1989 said:

Wow! Thank you again so much. I think I agree with you about the big towers now and will most likely rule them out. Let me digest all of this some more and see what price I can get from who you mentioned. I will keep you all informed. Thanks again!!

We pay it forward here at Klipsch.

The help guidance and deals I have gotten from people like cec, derrickddj, youthman -- who called me when i had a problem! -scrappy, wvu, and so many others.

There are many audio forums but this one is truly nice people doing good deeds every day for others.   There is almost no criticism or insults.  

When i first wanted a BIG sub Derrickddj invited me over,  gave me demos, made recommendations and then came to my house a half dozen times on his own time and dime to help me.  He is someone i will be forever grateful to...it made the difference between becoming a basshead or getting scared off.  

Welcome and I hope you settle on the very best option for YOU all things considered.

We pay it forward here at Klipsch.

The help guidance and deals I have gotten from people like cec, derrickddj, youthman -- who called me when i had a problem! -scrappy, wvu, and so many others.

There are many audio forums but this one is truly nice people doing good deeds every day for others.   There is almost no criticism or insults.  

When i first wanted a BIG sub Derrickddj invited me over,  gave me demos, made recommendations and then came to my house a half dozen times on his own time and dime to help me.  He is someone i will be forever grateful to...it made the difference between becoming a basshead or getting scared off.  

Welcome and I hope you settle on the very best option for YOU all things considered.

Well thank you very much, I would honestly be lost if it were not for kind people like yourself. I hope to pay it forward as well once I get a better grasp on things. 

So I have decided to go with the 160ms...I know finally right? Lol. I know that you have touched on this already but would you recommend buying 6 rp160ms and sell the sixth one by itself or purchase a rp center channel? I am looking for clear crisp dialog and sound to move seamlessly across the screen. About the same cost price wise too.

Thanks again,

Shane

• Like 1

i use 2 rp160ms and an rp250c.  let me know what you are paying (pm me) and i might buy your extra from you and switch out my rp250c.  even if you keep 6 you could setup a 6.x system where you put one rp on the back wall and the avr plays both rear channels through it.  it would be 80% as good as having 2 back there.  before the 7.x standard it was 6.x and before that 5.x.  

3 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Awesome setup always enjoy reading your post sorry I missed that up above there.... I know what the 51 and 52 are, can you please explain what the first part of your gear is, I'm not completely familiar with the terminology

check out diysoundgroup.com

i built htm12s and then custom built something similar to a magnum12 mbm also on that site.

i have a build thread for the htm12s on avsforum and at the end i added on the mbm build (mid bass modules)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2768257-roboavs-diysg-htm-12-build.html

and also a build thread for my legacy subs here

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/165903-roboklipschs-diysg-4cft-ported-build-using-legacy-ef-15-driver/