I'm amazed at what some older Bose speakers sell for

avguytx

8 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Unless they are really terrible, I don't much care about speakers at low levels.  Anything less than concert level is, by nature, increasingly less accurate as you go down.

I assure you, if you listen to Bose 301's at the levels I'm sure you play your Klipsch you would pick the things up and throw them out the nearest window! 

I'm not exaggerating, they sound really bad when being pushed, living up to all our expectations.  :D

22 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I assure you, if you listen to Bose 301's at the levels I'm sure you play your Klipsch you would pick the things up and throw them out the nearest window! 

Well, depends on what you mean by high levels.  I want accuracy for critical listening.  Entirely subjective with studio produced stuff like Pink Floyd, but known factor in other genre as in 96db peaks for a symphony orchestra.  

Dave

I had a bose acoustimass system for over 20 years and was able to originally buy it through a rep at cost and managed to sell it on ebay 20yrs later for half what i paid.

ive spent the last few years educating myself through immense amounts of reading, listening, learning, asking questions and trial and error and diy building.  its amazing what 1000 page threads about theory, theater construction, acoustics, design and physics can teach you with enough interest.

my simple conclusion about bose has always been this -- the vast majority of people dont have the time interest or money to get into what a good room should sound like.  they go to a theater and hear what sounds very impressive -- flat consistent response with fast decay and very loud peak volumes.

bose acoustimass, in an average living room where someone (I) simply placed the speakers and sub, have no room treatment and no real understanding of a full sound spectrum...it sounds like a mini theater at home.  for all the wrong reasons, but it does.  the lack of low end, high end and certain midbass frequencies caused the decay when watching a movie to be very fast, simulating a highly treated room, albeit a really, really bad one once u know what a good one sounds like.  it was true genius on boses part, they made a cheap poor design but did it in a fashion that an untrained ear thought was much like a theater.  they never posted frequency response graphs and resisted those comparisons instead pushing their sales pitch and it worked, and still does.  it is, imo  garbage, but to me and many others, it was a cool simulation that we didnt really understand, but enjoyed up until the point when something clicked and told us to try something better, tg in my case Klipsch which happens to be a brillant set of designs.