tube fanatic

Building an amp (for those who are curious!)

There's nothing wrong with good, old fashioned, 60/40 rosin core solder.  Of course, as with anything, it takes practice to learn how to use it correctly, not have cold solder joints, etc.  The flux does leave a residue on every kind of tip that I've encountered over the years, and it does build up somewhat after multiple connections are made.  It's possible that the amount is related to the alloys used in a particular tip.  For example, the Radio Shack tips I use in the Weller 8200 gun (yes, I still use a 100W gun most of the time- after 60 years of doing so it's hard to change!) build up more residue than the tip of the Weller WP-25 which I use for PC work.  At the power supply company we used various solder stations, different kinds of solder, different kinds of flux including water soluble, and tips had to be cleaned to ensure proper connections.  While I'm not arguing that some don't consider it necessary to ever clean a tip, I find it difficult to imagine that at least wiping the heated tip with a moistened sponge would not result in better connections.

Maynard

• Like 1

I clean the flux off regularly when soldering. I do not use heatsinks on parts, they are made to be soldered together but for beginners there is nothing wrong with doing so except the wasted time.  Using some common sense. If you cannot make a connection and flow the solder pretty quickly something is wrong. Take the heat off the connection and clean tip with sponge and re-tin. Do not keep applying heat when you have a problem melting the solder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

While I'm not arguing that some don't consider it necessary to ever clean a tip, I find it difficult to imagine that at least wiping the heated tip with a moistened sponge would not result in better connections.

I wipe the tip on the sponge after every joint, and apply a little bit of new solder on the tip before continuing. On PCB work, I'll go two or three before wiping. I don't see where anyone advocated soldering with a dirty tip -- my issue was related to having to scuff the tip clean, which just seems odd to me. Any tip in that kind of condition needs to be replaced. If it's happening with new tips, buy better tips.

I always use clips to absorb the heat. Metallized film is easily damaged by the kind of heat that creeps up the lead.  

2 hours ago, Deang said:

I always use clips to absorb the heat. Metallized film is easily damaged by the kind of heat that creeps up the lead.  

Better safe than sorry with expensive caps. 

Ok just checked, it's just 60/40 rosin-core.  I have some silver bearing rain core that I don't use.