Taking floor speakers off the floor

billjv

Hi,

I've got a pair of R28 floorstanding speakers in a small studio, and my desk is a height-variable (standing) desk. When I'm working and standing I am feeling like the speakers need elevating based on that vs. sitting - so I've put them on some pressed wood tables to at least get them off the ground, but I think the tables are coloring the sound and giving me some boxy frequencies I don't want. Any suggestions on how to get them off the floor about 18 inches without coloring the sound too much? Thanks...

As @T2K says. Decoupling them from the floor is what is changing the timbre. Slanting them back, as they do with the short "Heresy's" puts your ears more on-axis of the tweeter and midranges, which makes a huge difference. You can experiment with a books or magazines to get the angle you want. Eventually, you could get some more substantial risers made.

Tilt the speakers - definitely noted. And yes, the wood is definitely coloring the sound right now. I can hear the resonance. But say that I still want to get them off the floor - would concrete blocks be a solution? I'm thinking that along with a nice looking skirt around them would be workable. (If the word "skirt" triggers you, than maybe "kilt" would be a good substitute... lol)

I use concrete blocks to raise my speakers off the floor.  To make them look nice, I have attached grey thin exhibition carpet to the sides with self-adhesive Velcro.  They are heavy to reposition!  I did try tilting my speakers but did not like the sound.

Edited by On The Beach
  • Like 1