New to me old La scalas

51coronet

I recently purchased a pair of La Scalas purely based on reading about them and being intrigued by the design and looks of them.  I started my search for "something better" as a result of a small gathering at my house and my sound system disappointed.  My soundbar produced much better sounds than my stereo set up so I started my venture into correcting that.

The seller was reluctant and backed out of selling them before his other half convinced him to get rid of them due to the size and abuse they had taken over the years.

The tweaters didn't work, I found the 2uF caps were bad on both crossovers so replaced them for under $10 and a little of my time.

I also decided to "upgrade" to different tweaters from Bob Crites, the CT120.  This was based purely on reading some views that the original k77 can be piercing and fatiguing to the ears of some.  I did this before ever hearing the K77 so at some point I may hook them up and decide for myself.  Until then the CT120's are crystal clear and do not bother my ears at all.

I added 1/2 inch Birch ply to the sides and tops to help hide the many chips and to help strengthen the sides.  I was able to feel the walls resonate when the woofers would hit the low notes. I gave them a layer of wood stain and made some covers for the horns out of 1/8th thick fiberglass sheet and covered them with traditional speaker cloth from parts express.

I plan on adding glass to the tops and using brass corner protectors to hold the glass in place.  The tops don't vibrate much at all so I feel this is an acceptable dress up that will help preserve the top from stains etc.  I am very pleased with the amount of crystal clear sound these things produce.  Its amazing how little the volume needs to be turned in order to fill the house with clear music.  I really like the fact I can turn these up very loud and the music isn't fatiguing at all, not even for my dogs.  My other speakers turned up less cause the dogs to run outside.  So strange what quality sound does.  This is my first pair of what I consider higher end speakers.  I am very pleased with them thus far as well as how much support is out there for the heritage line.

la scala after.jpg

la scala before.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Good for you for bringing them back to life. I'll bet you added some weight though.

Indeed but it was worth it!  The glass and brass corners will add a bit more.  Birch is fairly light weight, I removed the wheels so it kinda offset the added weight of the birch.  These are some awesome speakers.  A bit on the large side but well worth it in the end for any music lover.  I am now thinking about another pair for the heck of it.  Anyone have a beat up pair in Southern California for sale?  They will get a good home!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 51coronet said:

Indeed but it was worth it!  The glass and brass corners will add a bit more.  Birch is fairly light weight, I removed the wheels so it kinda offset the added weight of the birch.  These are some awesome speakers.  A bit on the large side but well worth it in the end for any music lover.  I am now thinking about another pair for the heck of it.  Anyone have a beat up pair in Southern California for sale?  They will get a good home!

Are you liking the sound as much as the looks? That's usually the best part of La Scalas. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Are you liking the sound as much as the looks? That's usually the best part of La Scalas. 

The unique look is definitely a plus.  My taste is more unique, no tri year chevy  here with a 350/T350.... Im partial to H1 hummer, 57-58 imperial, 1960 300F.

Good sound without dropping a ton of money was the goal and I achieved that plus a neat looking talking piece. My mom says they are classy!

13 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Great story. Can you provide better photos? those you supplied are blurry.

Yes I will take some better photos after the other mods are completed. (glass and corners) 

I did set the wheels and old k77 tweeters aside for future use with a bag of misc new capacitors I bought.  I am having a hard time finding 13uF caps.  I bought a 12 and a 1 to wire in parallel (not sure if this is the best method) .  My tester says the 13 is good and reads 13uF but I know they are likely as old as the speakers.  I replaced both sets of the 2uF caps and removed the diodes (based on reading the ct120 don't need them).  It was a fun project bringing these back to life and would like to tackle another set at some point.

Who sells 13uF caps?  I am not interested in those super high dollar caps.  Maybe $20 ballpark for a 13uF, I personally don't feel the need for myself to get really high dollar caps.  I'm just not at that audiophile stage yet and may never be.

I used Audyn Plus caps for the 2uf caps for tweeters and the Audyn Q4 13uf for the mids. I'm building a new set from scratch with new inductors and autoformers. I figured "new" Belles need new crossovers. Lol. But I agree...i can't go crazy on cap expense either.