Any audio experts in WA?

Ryan from WA

Looking for an audio expert to give me an in home evaluation of my current setup and recommendations for improvement. Ive been chasing perfect sound for a long time and I figured rather than spending money on speakers and parts that either dont improve or in many cases negatively impact the sound Im looking for - why not offer to pay for an experts time and hopefully be done with the search. After my latest change to my khorns where I updated my old AAs with crites' special 4500hz crossover with crites tweeters, which was 500 bucks and I feel put me further away from where I want to be, I am trying to talk myself out of selling all my klipsch speakers and moving to another brand. I loved my dads khorns growing up and always knew Id have my own, but Im gonna end up deaf I think because of these horns. I like loud, but this kind of loud goes right to the head and you cant tell its hurting til its too late.

Who wants to help a brother out?

• Haha 1

Ryan, take a bunch of pictures of your room from all angles, and provide a list of your system components. Let us know the levels which you like to listen, your music choices, etc. We can try to help you out for free here before you go and pay someone. Please also provide room measurements, how far back that you sit and listen, any acoustic room treatments, curtains, windows, ceiling height, etc., etc., etc. As much detail as you can give the better.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Great, funny post!

Stop looking at your equipment as the culprit. You don't need an audio expert; you need an acoustics expert.

I feel the room is just as important as the speakers. Room dimensions, hard/soft surfaces, restrictions on speaker locations; it all can combine to make things difficult.

100% correct.  When I build speakers, I build them to suit a particular environment.  Guess what, when they are out of that environment they don't sound nearly as good.  One of the reasons I build speakers.  If you are going to buy speakers, it works the other way around.  You make your room work with the speakers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies - sorry I thought id get a notification when someone replied.

I did get very similar advice regarding room accoustics and EQ in a PM, on their advice I ordered a mic from parts express and once thats in I will take some measurements (the first I have done). I for some reason neglected this and have been spending time and money on things that Im now learning arent nearly as important. Ill post some pictures and measurements in here, I am very mich interested in everyones opinions and suggestions. Chris graciously offered to help me understand the measurements once I take them and recommend improvements. 

The room is mostly square, except the back wall has a cutout for a bench and window. Left wall to right wall is 14.5 feet. Front to back is 15 feet, plus 2 feet for the large bench seating cutout. I listen about 11 ft from the front wall. The right wall has a closet behind it, and is only about 12 feet where it 90s to a 3 foot wall then the door to the room. 

20180214_082356.jpg

29 minutes ago, Ryan from WA said:

Thanks for the replies - sorry I thought id get a notification when someone replied.

@Ryan from WA  You "can" get notifications if you tell the thread to do so; it doesn't do it automatically.  Just click the "Follow" tab at the top of the page and choose how you'd like to get notifications.

image.png.20e3342f88a86d6b68560d01ddf49c2c.png

image.png.f227571683d55fc0c453d323f6d16e28.png

Only the khorns are in their final spot, the cornwalls in the center I just stuck some temporary legs under them to see if being elevated helps. The 4 heresy for surrounds are just sitting on furniture, I didnt want to mount or install them permanently til I know its going to work for me.

I still have many open projects in this media room so its a work in progress..

Other equipment includes 

Parasound a21 (khorns)

Integra 7.2 ch receiver (surrounds)

Hafler dh 220  (center)

Blu ray player for playing cds

2 rs-12w subs

******Edit

I mostly listen to rock but do listen to all types of music. When I crank it it's rock - Pink Floyd, Neil Young, SRV to name a few. I do like to listen at higher volumes, although I may tone it down a little now. 

3 hours ago, babadono said:

Please take no offense, doesn't your set up sound pretty darn good already?

Of course there are always ways to improve.

None taken. It sounds very good to the people who come over to watch movies or maybe listen to some music, but most of them primarily listen to their headphones and smart phone. I do think after messing with the EQ even I will be happy with the sound. Im also researching the different ways to stream and looking for a DAC which may improve it

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Cool room. That center (twin Cornwalls) looks awesome. Is that a guitar amp behind the couch, guitarist?

Thank you for the compliment! I was honestly hesitant to even post it... Some of the people on this forum have rooms that look so professionally done and custom, I might get there one day though. I do play a little axe :)

Great photos and description. Very useful.

I think part of your problem is the "square" (almost) dimensions of the room. Square shaped rooms have a problem with standing waves. Here's one web site which explains things.

For sure, you could have other acoustic issues in play and they may not be revealed with your upcoming mic test. I look forward to hearing about the results of your tests.

I'm inclined to think your speakers are overpowering your room. Klipschorns, Cornwalls, large side and rear speakers; a secondary possibility.

P.S. I just found this speaker review where the reviewer says something which is relevant here.

"Remember, rooms play a huge role in sound. My room is perfect for smaller speakers, and most speakers sound amazing in here. Somehow I got lucky in this regard and not sure how, but my room is fantastic for a 2 channel audio system. Well, a smaller to medium sized system anyway. Too large of a speaker and it gets overpowered, and I learned that the hard way, by losing cash trying large speakers in here."

• Like 1

You've got a very reflective room.  Hard ceiling, nothing on the walls, only real absorption is the couch.  In the far left and right seating positions, the audio is dominated by the speakers that are right next to those seats.  They are quite close.  Absolutely agree with Peter P. above.  You may even want to consider reducing the number of speakers in that room....Did I just say that?

But yea, I'd definitely consider that.  And some acoustic treatment is essential.   

I was worried about that too. Ive set these cornwalls up in 2 channel and they sound really good and fill the room. The only time all speakers are going is when im gaming or watching videos, and yes the surrounds being close are overpowering the other ones. I was thinking about getting crazy and putting them in the walls between the studs which would move them back a couple feet and look pretty nice I would think. I used a klipsch surround kit in a box (2 speakers on back wall still mounted) and I couldnt hear them at all over the khorns. Maybe Im better situated with cornwalls for LCR and bookshelf s for surrounds? 

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

You've got a very reflective room.  Hard ceiling, nothing on the walls, only real absorption is the couch.  In the far left and right seating positions, the audio is dominated by the speakers that are right next to those seats.  They are quite close.  Absolutely agree with Peter P. above.  You may even want to consider reducing the number of speakers in that room....Did I just say that?

But yea, I'd definitely consider that.  And some acoustic treatment is essential.   

Good observation about the reflective room. Here again, an acoustics designer or home theater room designer would be able to look at Ryan's room and be able to make changes that were aesthetically pleasing and acoustical improvements. Too bad there aren't inexpensive ways to prove the theory, then execute a remodel to implement the changes.