Any audio experts in WA?

Ryan from WA

4 minutes ago, Ryan from WA said:

Maybe Im better situated with cornwalls for LCR and bookshelf s for surrounds? 

Bookshelf speakers would never level-match your Cornwalls or your Klipschorns. I only think the Cornwalls and Klipschorns would work in a 3.1 home theater if you put one Cornwall in storage. I just don't think those speakers are made for home theater or PC gaming use. I think you're better off with a smaller suite of speakers that are a matched set meant for home theater and gaming. And you've got to get a handle on your room acoustics.

31 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I think you're better off with a smaller suite of speakers that are a matched set meant for home theater and gaming.

Smaller as in reference line? I do have the klipsch quintet V 5.0 surrounds, but I want something with dynamic and enveloping sound for home theater, but more importantly something I can really crank in 2 channel for music. I mentioned I like loud but what I failed to mention is that I like it loud to the point that nobody else can stand to be in the room with me. Although if I cant cure the harshness I will have to stop that, I dont want hearing loss yet, im only 30... 

Don't get Reference.  As good as they are, the Khorns can take them any day, as you can read in the reactions of the people who went to the Klipsch Pilgrimage. 

I do not believe that large speakers (necessarily) overwhelm or overpower a room.  I had a pair of Klipschorns in a room 9 x 12 feet for several years, and they sounded great from the main listening position, sounded free floating and effortless, and were smooth down to 31.5 Hz.  Those two Khorns are now in a 4,000 cu ft room where they sound equally good.

If you install some 2 foot square, or larger,  absorbers  starting where a yardstick would touch the wall if pressed flat across the front of the Khorn midrange horn, and continuing on for 2 feet (the width of the absorber) out into the room, it could help immensely.  You would need a total of 4 of these, mounted on the walls so their centers are the same height as the midrange horn.  Do not over damp your room.  How high is that ceiling?  It's possible you would benefit if you put attractive absorbers on the small area of the ceiling where the sound from the tweeters would reflect off the ceiling and go straight to your ears on the couches -- but find the best place for the couches first, i.e., the place where you are not in a true null or a bad peak.

You could put some difussors on the side walls, here and there, or some decorative objects that are diffusing.

If the sliding (closet?) door rattles or resonates, damp it down.

It looks like you have two subwoofers very near the Klipschorns.  I'd rather see them somewhere else, where they are less likely to block the path of sound from the bass bins of the Khorns.  Since bass below about 80Hz is non-directional, they could function well elsewhere.

The sound should not be harsh, but harshness can come from a variety of causes.  Boosting the bass a bit might help make the sound seem more balanced.  Great power resides in the bass, and you might not need as high an overall SPL if the music had more bass.  Many recordings contain distortion or are out of balance.  See Chris A's thread, The Missing Octaves.  Recordings were probably better in some ways in your father's day, due to the loudness wars, and due to the fact that there is little, if any, correlation between being a modern recording executive and having good taste.

Is your mic calibrated?  Will you use REW?  A little EQ might get rid of the harshness.  The Harman people found that most people in their tests like a smooth (not kinky) curve that is high on the bass end, and a little low on the top end, and that people thought that inclined curve was natural, i.e., flat!   I support the bass boost part, but usually not the treble attenuation.

"I loved my dads khorns growing up and always knew Id have my own ..."

I spent several years trying to duplicate the sound in my parents' wonderful living room.  I finally got sound that was very close, the-same-yet-different, and equally good.

Best of luck!  Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Lack of drapes or any other sort of acoustic treatment on the walls is likely causing most of your problems. I am reminded of the times I moved - the stereo was playing while moving out and was the last thing to be moved. Moving into the new digs, the stereo was the first thing brought in and set up so we would have music for the rest of the move-in. In a completely empty room the sound was a mess until the drapes and soft furniture were placed in the room. That, and you might have to run Audessey or another EQ program for home theater after you put in some first reflection absorption.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, garyrc said:

Is your mic calibrated?  Will you use REW?

I ordered the miniDSP UMIK-1 and plan to use REW. This will be the first of any kind of measurements Ive done. 

Im glad to hear I may not need to start over with speaker choice :D My dads living room has like a 12 foot ceiling where I think mine is closer to 9, ill confirm that, but his house was also old and solid - you didnt need to look for studs in this house to hang heavy shelves... I can remember walking out of the room and instantly the volume was halved or more, and there was no door or anything, I just think it was naturally soundproofed. They did have multiple couches and my mom loaded the walls with stuff, so I am going to look into at least those panels you mentioned. Any particular brand or website you know of that works well?

I would like to exchange my 2 subs for a single 15" of some kind, and move it maybe to the back. Maybe the sw 115 or another brand depending on the reviews I find. 

I also have been considering just doing a 5.1 or 5.2 and dropping the rear speakers, or just using those small guys on the wall just to have noise in the back. 4 heresys is a little tight in that area. If I can get the left and right surrounds into the wall thatd be better, but they just barely dont fit between the studs.

I will also play with the bass level - Ive noticed even on cd, some songs have great bass then some it sounds like the woofer was unplugged. I dont normally turn the powered subs on for music but I have, and I have mixed feelings on the results.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate the advice

• Like 1

Once the mouth of the horn is clamped to the top hat baffle, it removes horn ringing problems.  PWK did the tests and reported that applying damping materials to the outside of the midrange horn does almost nothing at all.  Save your money.

• Like 2