La Scala's

SonicSeeker

1 hour ago, SonicSeeker said:

New crossovers just installed.  Sounds pretty darn nice.

Remember those AL-3 crossovers are worth some money too.  You can sell them and recoup some of the cash you put out for the new XO's.

47 minutes ago, dubs said:

In ATL area I found two immaculate La Scalas for 2200. Worth it?

I agree with Jim ^^^ $2200 is about $1000 too high, depending on the usual factors, age, condition, location, etc.  And when you say "two" LS, you do mean one pair and not two pair?

FYI one big reason is when you get into the $2K range you are in Khorn territory, a major step above the LS in terms of a big sound stage.

Do you have any other info on them?  If they are from this century they might be worth more than I am thinking.

7 minutes ago, dubs said:

Welp, the guy took down his post. Must’ve kept them, or sold already. He was adamant on not going lower than 2200 and was insulted I asked what bottom dollar was. Yes @wvu80 they were just a pair. Two speakers. 

If you are insulted when someone asks what your bottom dollar is, then you are not really serious about selling.  Be patient, others will come along, maybe not super close to you, but worth a little bit of a drive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Welp, the guy took down his post. Must’ve kept them, or sold already. He was adamant on not going lower than 2200 and was insulted I asked what bottom dollar was. Yes @wvu80 they were just a pair. Two speakers. 

Even the LS II averages about $1500.  And yes, he's still got them, that looked like a "I don't want to sell them" price. 

Now he can go back to his wife and declare "honey I tried to sell them, but nobody wanted them even though new ones are $10,000 and I was only asking $2200."  Add puzzled look.  :huh2:

Just a guess.  B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

If you are insulted when someone asks what your bottom dollar is, then you are not really serious about selling.  Be patient, others will come along, maybe not super close to you, but worth a little bit of a drive.

When asked by prospective buyers what "my bottom dollar" is, I counter with "I've already listed them with an asking price, it's your turn to dance - not mIne".

Either bring cash,  come look at them and then begin negotiations, or quit wasting our time.  

I'm not one to list an item, and immediately come off my price just to get the negotiation ball rolling.

Sellers that list a price & then move down = 2 steps, to the Buyer's 0.  

NO MORE, regardless of the selling venue.

--- when selling I find it best to price just high enough as not to drive people off yet high enough to leave enough room for a counter or two. People like feel they've bid you down, got a deal. The back and forth is the fun part of a sale. 

Now when someone asks how low or my bottom dollar, it's easy - I tell them I don't bid against myself. Done. 

• Like 1

I see both sides of the fence.

Seller may get irritated when buyer asks bottom dollar. He set his price he thinks is fair. He should get that. We took great care of our item and aren’t about to take a bath. 

Buyer I’m making the step in getting ready to make offer with bottom dollar question. If seller stonewalls me then I know he’s not serious about selling and won’t negotiate.

That’s why sellers set price higher, because we all know we will take less than whet we put it out for. It’s all a game.

If you’re selling something it means;

A.) you are done with it and would like the money.

B.) trading and need the money to upgrade

C.) just need money

my opinion is 75% of the time buyer always has more power than seller. Just My option tho.

Little side story about this la scalas sale. I went in with a different angle showing appreciation for his equipment. Stating that I’m a huge Klipsch fan, and like to listen to them. He said he was free that day, but he lived on other side of Atlanta. (Not sure if y’all been thru here but that could turn into an 8hr trip) so instead of wasting my time driving there for him to stonewall me with I’ll take 100-300 off, I had to feel him out with the bottom dollar question.  

Not a big deal in the end, just trying to say when buyers sometimes use the bottom dollar question it isn’t malicious. Gotta know if it’s worth time. Which is sometimes more precious than the dollars spent. 

I only get bent if a Buyer attempts to move me off "bottom dollar" pricing.

Seller's should be aware of this tactic.

When & if a Seller offers their "bottom dollar" or "best price" this should = the best price a Buyer will get.............PERIOD.

Buyer should accept or refuse and not use this for further negotiations.

Sellers should be aware of this tactic in reducing price out of the gate only to be kicked further.  HOLD FIRM to your bottom.. or you may get reamed !

• Like 1

Yea, this dude got real skiddish and seemed insulted with my question of BD. Almost like he was selling his first born and I don’t deserve such a honor to be bestowed upon me. And hey, I get it. We all have been there too. Just need to be realistic with fair market price that’s all. 

OK I see numbers thrown around all the time and I see what I pay and sell for in the Nashville area. So one can buy speakers with or without work being done and those without work are worth less. The cheapest La Scalas I bought in a year and a half were $1,000 and a 580 mile round trip to Atlanta. Refinished and coated in satin Spar Polyurethane and the AL-2 's replaced with AA 's. Everything checked out for proper working condition and an almost new pair of  Atlas PD-5VH  put on the K-400's. These sold for $2,000 to a guy who drove up from Fl to get them. So there is value added at times which leads me to this. I have a pair of Pro La Scalas one piece with fiberglass and trim. Recapped AA crossover and cabinet cleaned up and painted. A pair of dual phase soldered lug K-55-V's put in. A pair of my machined aluminum K-77 drop in eliptrac style replacement horns with Eminence APT-50 drivers installed and they sound really nice. So just what is the consensus here on the value of these?

1.JPG

6.JPG

4 hours ago, dubs said:

I see both sides of the fence.

Seller may get irritated when buyer asks bottom dollar. He set his price he thinks is fair. He should get that. We took great care of our item and aren’t about to take a bath. 

Buyer I’m making the step in getting ready to make offer with bottom dollar question. If seller stonewalls me then I know he’s not serious about selling and won’t negotiate.

That’s why sellers set price higher, because we all know we will take less than whet we put it out for. It’s all a game.

If you’re selling something it means;

A.) you are done with it and would like the money.

B.) trading and need the money to upgrade

C.) just need money

my opinion is 75% of the time buyer always has more power than seller. Just My option tho.

Little side story about this la scalas sale. I went in with a different angle showing appreciation for his equipment. Stating that I’m a huge Klipsch fan, and like to listen to them. He said he was free that day, but he lived on other side of Atlanta. (Not sure if y’all been thru here but that could turn into an 8hr trip) so instead of wasting my time driving there for him to stonewall me with I’ll take 100-300 off, I had to feel him out with the bottom dollar question.  

Not a big deal in the end, just trying to say when buyers sometimes use the bottom dollar question it isn’t malicious. Gotta know if it’s worth time. Which is sometimes more precious than the dollars spent. 

Very well said. Sadly as much as I like buying and selling vintage Klipsch because I like working on them it has become VERY hard to buy at a price where you can make money after time to acquire and cost of drive + cost and time to fix up things which seems to be required three out of four times. If you believe in re-capping old crossovers which I do then every single one unless already done needs this. If it is already done then the seller rightfully expects to get more so cost to buy goes up. I am working to get my money out of current offerings and after personal expenses from EBay fees to repairs maybe getting 15 to 20% averaged markup after all expenses and it is not worth it. I hardly ever get to buy at the prices thrown about around here and the choice is to either pay more of forget doing it and believe me I spend time looking. A few times per year you get lucky the rest of the time if you wish to have things for sale regularly you don't get lucky. Cheap prices are the exception to the rule in Nashville for speakers in decent shape..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

OK I see numbers thrown around all the time and I see what I pay and sell for in the Nashville area. So one can buy speakers with or without work being done and those without work are worth less. The cheapest La Scalas I bought in a year and a half were $1,000 and a 580 mile round trip to Atlanta. Refinished and coated in satin Spar Polyurethane and the AL-2 's replaced with AA 's. Everything checked out for proper working condition and an almost new pair of  Atlas PD-5VH  put on the K-400's. These sold for $2,000 to a guy who drove up from Fl to get them. So there is value added at times which leads me to this. I have a pair of Pro La Scalas one piece with fiberglass and trim. Recapped AA crossover and cabinet cleaned up and painted. A pair of dual phase soldered lug K-55-V's put in. A pair of my machined aluminum K-77 drop in eliptrac style replacement horns with Eminence APT-50 drivers installed and they sound really nice. So just what is the consensus here on the value of these?

1.JPG

6.JPG

IMO, the problem is that the already small market for vintage Klipsch is further reduced when it comes to recouping “value added upgrades.”  Most who understand and appreciate such enhancements are DIY types who would, or could, do it themselves.  It takes patience to find the right buyer for such items.