La Scala's

SonicSeeker

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

IMO, the problem is that the already small market for vintage Klipsch is further reduced when it comes to recouping “value added upgrades.”  Most who understand and appreciate such enhancements are DIY types who would, or could, do it themselves.  It takes patience to find the right buyer for such items.

Hit the nail on the head.

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Even the LS II averages about $1500.  And yes, he's still got them, that looked like a "I don't want to sell them" price. 

4 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Wow - is that what LS II's are going for now?

No, it is not.  No idea where that number came from, it is not realistic.

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

Hit the nail on the head.

Most of the people I sell to don't use soldering equipment well but they know of and appreciate Klipsch. People here on the forums are the exception to the rule and in general far more technically oriented than those I sell to.  I am coming to the conclusion that making parts like that machined K-77 drop in is a smarter thing to do and certainly less trouble than find buy travel fix answer gobs of emails argue and then sell.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

No, it is not.  No idea where that number came from, it is not realistic.

In my experience these quoted numbers are not accurate either based on what I have paid and sold for.

So no conjectures on the Pro La Scala values?

11 hours ago, dubs said:

Not a big deal in the end, just trying to say when buyers sometimes use the bottom dollar question it isn’t malicious. Gotta know if it’s worth time. Which is sometimes more precious than the dollars spent. 

Absolutely a fair point.  And asking a seller his bottom line is also am ordinary question.

My only comment on the rest of your post regarding the Seller, you have a pretty well intentioned seller.  I've seen some weird sellers out there who have crap speakers (not Klipsch) and they are INSULTED if you think the scratched up finish matters in any way, because after all the ONLY thing that matters is the sound of his precious (insert speaker brand here)

There are all kinds out there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Wow - is that what LS II's are going for now?

Now that you mention it, I looked more closely at my spreadsheet and I only had three samples.  One confirmed sale for $1500 and two others (no confirmed sale price and not included in the average) for $5200.  We just don't see the LS II come onto the used market, at least not that I've seen.

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Absolutely a fair point.  And asking a seller his bottom line is also am ordinary question.

It might be ordinary but not a valid question.

The only time to negotiate is when you are standing in front of the person with cash in your pocket and then it is done by offering a lower amount.

This applies when you are selling local and I do agree that in most cases of forum speaker sales the buyer/seller is usually miles apart.

You will get zero response from me (especially on a new listing) when the buyer has not even seen the item for sale in person and contacts me to ask what my bottom dollar is.

• Like 1

The cheapest La Scalas I bought in a year and a half were $1,000 and a 580 mile round trip to Atlanta. Refinished and coated in satin Spar Polyurethane and the AL-2 's replaced with AA 's. Everything checked out for proper working condition and an almost new pair of  Atlas PD-5VH  put on the K-400's. These sold for $2,000 to a guy who drove up from Fl to get them. So there is value added at times which leads me to this. I have a pair of Pro La Scalas one piece with fiberglass and trim. Recapped AA crossover and cabinet cleaned up and painted. A pair of dual phase soldered lug K-55-V's put in. A pair of my machined aluminum K-77 drop in eliptrac style replacement horns with Eminence APT-50 drivers installed and they sound really nice. So just what is the consensus here on the value of these?

Dave A

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

IMO, the problem is that the already small market for vintage Klipsch is further reduced when it comes to recouping “value added upgrades.”  Most who understand and appreciate such enhancements are DIY types who would, or could, do it themselves.  It takes patience to find the right buyer for such items.

This analysis is 100% consistent with the way I valuate used Klipsch, especially the Industrial model La Scala.

I'll add some numbers, but I'll tell you right now it won't be accurate because of the the factors listed by DizRotus ^^^.  I also know you have more in this with your custom parts than the price I will have listed below.  Had you put the upgraded parts into a home product I think you could have gotten more, but this is the LSI which has a very limited market with buyers typically wanting to put these into the garage.

LSI average price, in good condition:  $951  (highest sold price $1200, LSI splits w/alum trim)

Upgraded/updated crossover: +$100

Upgraded tweeters: +100

Upgraded tweeter horn: +100

Professional level restoration: +200

Total:  $1451

31 minutes ago, Davis said:

It might be ordinary but not a valid question.

The only time to negotiate is when you are standing in front of the person with cash in your pocket and then it is done by offering a lower amount.

This applies when you are selling local and I do agree that in most cases of forum speaker sales the buyer/seller is usually miles apart.

You will get zero response from me (especially on a new listing) when the buyer has not even seen the item for sale in person and contacts me to ask what my bottom dollar is.

Oh man.. you'd find a cranky T.Smith in your face if you pulled this crap with me. Negotiations are complete if we're at the point of meeting face to face. If you don't like it when we meet up, I'm ok with mutually walking away.. but don't pull that "I only have X less than the asking price, take it or leave it" tactic.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Oh man.. you'd find a cranky T.Smith in your face if you pulled this crap with me. Negotiations are complete if we're at the point of meeting face to face. If you don't like it when we meet up, I'm ok with mutually walking away.. but don't pull that "I only have X less than the asking price, take it or leave it" tactic.

What crap...

I was speaking as a seller, I don't negotiate on the phone/txt/email with locals.

Nor would I ever try and offer someone less for the product as a buyer without the respect of looking at the item in person if I am local to the product.

I also would not go look at an item for sale without having the full asking price in my pocket. That doesn't mean I may not start with a lower offer.

Buying/selling with a forum member that is not local is a different set of circumstances that require upfront negations that by nature would not be in person...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Davis said:

What crap...

I was speaking as a seller, I don't negotiate on the phone/txt/email with locals.

Nor would I ever try and offer someone less for the product as a buyer without the respect of looking at the item in person if I am local to the product.

I also would not go look at an item for sale without having the full asking price in my pocket. That doesn't mean I may not start with a lower offer.

Buying/selling with a forum member that is not local is a different set of circumstances that require upfront negations that by nature would not be in person...

I'm of similar thought.  I'll list something and the first thing someone will ask is will you take $xxx.xx?  They haven't even seen what I'm selling and they're asking me to take less.  Normally at that point I'll ask "Why"?   If they look at what I'm selling and ask the same question because of something that they've seen that diminishes their value then that's a different story.

• Like 2

Not sure how people get so .... hurt. It’s a sale. Expect people to low ball you. It’s the nature of a sale. I ask the lowball question to see if they’re willing to negotiate and how motivated they are to sell. It’s a feeler question. Not meant to insult. 

• Like 1

As a Buyer, I don't much expect a Seller to reduce a list price over "x" %.  (insert your own number)

The art of negotiation is based upon mutual respect and LOW BALL offers serve to undermine that entire premise.

If a Buyer is asking for, or offering a price reflective of such a huge discount right out of the gate how can a Seller consider the Buyer even remotely serious?

No visit, no viewing, just a half a$$ed offer based upon - nothing tangible to the item in  question.

I guess everyone has their preferred methods, but Buyers that hard kick Sellers shouldn't be offended when those Sellers either ignore you, or tell you quite frankly to F'off.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

So no conjectures on the Pro La Scala values?

I'm in for $500.....do I win?

:P

As a side note, they look VERY nice and I really like the machined horn lens (I'm wondering if everyone is so enamored with their line of conversation, they didn't really see it for what it was???)

Anyway, you have my permission to deliver said speakers as I included delivery in my price.  :ph34r:

31 minutes ago, dubs said:

Not sure how people get so .... hurt. It’s a sale. Expect people to low ball you. It’s the nature of a sale. I ask the lowball question to see if they’re willing to negotiate and how motivated they are to sell. It’s a feeler question. Not meant to insult. 

There is a difference between a respectable offer and a "lowball" offer. I assume most people build in a bit for negotiating so I usually offer 10-15% less. In my mind that is not a lowball and hasn't offended anyone in dozens of deals. It gets the ball rolling. Now if I ask $2K for a piece and someone offers $1400, that's a lowball in my book which I don't devote any further time. 

• Moderators

If I get to the point of willing to buy, it's at the price asked, I have decided I wanted it enough at asking price.

I hate buying things when in other countries where haggling is expected and they start out with a crazy price, in this case I usually put my wife on it. :huh:

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

ll add some numbers, but I'll tell you right now it won't be accurate because of the the factors listed by DizRotus ^^^.  I also know you have more in this with your custom parts than the price I will have listed below.  Had you put the upgraded parts into a home product I think you could have gotten more, but this is the LSI which has a very limited market with buyers typically wanting to put these into the garage.

LSI average price, in good condition:  $951  (highest sold price $1200, LSI splits w/alum trim)

Upgraded/updated crossover: +$100

Upgraded tweeters: +100

Upgraded tweeter horn: +100

Professional level restoration: +200

Total:  $1451

You forgot the dual phase soldered lug K-55-V's. Whats your total with that added?

33 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'm in for $500.....do I win?

:P

As a side note, they look VERY nice and I really like the machined horn lens (I'm wondering if everyone is so enamored with their line of conversation, they didn't really see it for what it was???)

Anyway, you have my permission to deliver said speakers as I included delivery in my price.  :ph34r:

Only if you let me take them in the house and set them up too.   I can also haul off those ugly big speaker boxes you won't need anymore and do that for FREE.:lol: