La Scala's

SonicSeeker

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

You forgot the dual phase soldered lug K-55-V's. Whats your total with that added?

You are correct, because actually I did forget.  I know exactly what those dual phase K-55v's are, those are the holy grail of Klipsch mid drivers!

I said "upgraded tweeters" when I should have said "upgraded K-55's."  Even though those dual phase K55v are worth what, $300-350 they still would not return that value on the upgrade to an LSI, IMO.

The irony of my assessment is I LOVE the LSI with the aluminum trim!  And with all the really nice quality upgrades they would still have a limited upside because of the Industrial look and the fact that most wives would not let them in the living room.  :(

And when you get into what they are REALLY worth (not data based, but Dave's opinion) I don't think $2k is a crazy number.  But for $2K you are into K-horn territory, and that is where the market hurts their value, relative to what else you can buy in that $2000 price range.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
2 hours ago, dubs said:

Not meant to insult. 

But yet it does.

To a degree, but I tend to agree with dubs because I am looking at Buying/Selling somewhat dispassionately. 

I would like to think most of us on this board have a higher degree of sophistication than the average Buyer/Seller of Klipsch speakers.  By sophistication I mean a little more experience, a little more knowledge thanks to our active participation on this board.  We have our own experiences, and access to a vast pool of knowledge of others who post here.

Remember, there are people who sometimes have to make a "distressed" sale and are willing to sell for a lower price to get a faster sale.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Even though I realize it might offend some people, I will always ask, sometimes negotiate to try to understand the motivation of the seller.  You find out by asking.  If someone doesn't want to tell me their bottom line, I thank them and move on, unless I am willing to pay the asking price.

There are all kinds of Buyers and Sellers out there, and they are not all like us.

• Like 1

I said "upgraded tweeters" when I should have said "upgraded K-55's."  Even though those dual phase K55v are worth what, $300-350 they still would not return that value on the upgrade to an LSI, IMO.

Well actually there are new tweeters and new horns + the K-55-V. I figure the tweeter horn assemblies are worth around $200.00 new and these are new.  We are not too far apart as I have these listed for $1,650 on Craigslist. They are the best sounding La Scalas I have had.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davis said:

What crap...

I was speaking as a seller, I don't negotiate on the phone/txt/email with locals.

Nor would I ever try and offer someone less for the product as a buyer without the respect of looking at the item in person if I am local to the product.

I also would not go look at an item for sale without having the full asking price in my pocket. That doesn't mean I may not start with a lower offer.

Buying/selling with a forum member that is not local is a different set of circumstances that require upfront negations that by nature would not be in person...

Nope, I'm the opposite. As a seller I'll haggle all day long via email/txt. That costs me nothing in time commitment and it's easy to walk away if it's a bad deal. So by the time we've met in person you've had ample opportunity to review description, pictures, and ask for more until you're satisfied. Our face to face is simply one final inspection and an exchange of goods for agreed price and nothing more. 

Try to haggle me down in person and I'll just dig my heels in or walk away, no matter how insignificant the lower offer might be.

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Nope, I'm the opposite. As a seller I'll haggle all day long via email/txt. That costs me nothing in time commitment and it's easy to walk away if it's a bad deal. So by the time we've met in person you've had ample opportunity to review description, pictures, and ask for more until you're satisfied. Our face to face is simply one final inspection and an exchange of goods for agreed price and nothing more. 

Try to haggle me down in person and I'll just dig my heels in or walk away, no matter how insignificant the lower offer might be.

What ever works for you, but please understand Forum posts, and CL advertisements, result in quite different buying scenarios.  This is probably why there has been no consensus in this thread so far.  Thaddeus' stance is understandable in regard to a simple Forum for-sale post, but It could differ significantly if an item were to be advertised on the CL site as that opens the door to WAY more $h!t to sort through.

I still consider a Buyer, that is willing to commit to an in-person viewing of my for-sale item(s), MUCH more serious and interested in making a purchase than a string of text/email inquiries from some unknown source.  

"Ya, I was cruising through the local CL site and saw you got a pretty cool looking !@$^%& thingy, so what's your bottom dollar on it anyway?  Does it do tricks?  What color is it?  How long you had it?  Why you selling?  I had one once, and thought I'd ask what my best price is?"  Great lead, right?  Ah, no - go pi$$ off.

Body language speaks volumes, but in-person exchanges aren't always possible.  In those instances,  an actual phone call can quickly clarify condition, reason for sale, pricing level, interest level, etc kinds of inquires.  To be able to hear the Buyer's voice & inflection can again reveal much about the other party.  Although one might call it profiling, it is a well known tactic in the sales industry and it is referred to as "qualifying the Buyer".  

As a Seller, why would you choose to waste your time without doing this?

12 hours ago, Dave A said:

I said "upgraded tweeters" when I should have said "upgraded K-55's."  Even though those dual phase K55v are worth what, $300-350 they still would not return that value on the upgrade to an LSI, IMO. (wvu80)

Well actually there are new tweeters and new horns + the K-55-V. I figure the tweeter horn assemblies are worth around $200.00 new and these are new.  We are not too far apart as I have these listed for $1,650 on Craigslist. They are the best sounding La Scalas I have had.

That tweeter assembly you made is tremendous.  Does it use the K-77?

As for listing it for $1650 that is not a crazy number at all, you just need to find that one guy out there that is like me who thinks that style LS with all the upgrades is well worth the price. 

If you don't mind keep us updated on your experience with your sale.  I am interested in how much response there is and what people are offering you.  Did you post a link to the CL ad?

9 hours ago, Arrow#422 said:

I still consider a Buyer, that is willing to commit to an in-person viewing of my for-sale item(s), MUCH more serious and interested in making a purchase than a string of text/email inquiries from some unknown source.  

My three biggest purchases were sight unseen.  I bought an RF-83 package 14 hours away via CL,  another CL listing on La Scala from a Seller 10 hours away, and Ebay purchase of Khorns 2 hours away.  That fact that I didn't see or test the items did not disqualify me from being a "serious" Buyer.  The purchase price was agreed to in advance so face-to-face was only for the purpose of consummating the deal.  In two sales I accepted the Seller's price upfront, in the RF-83 deal I negotiated a lower price because of the distance I traveled.

The reason we can't reach "consensus" is due to individual differences, and sometimes cultural differences.

When I was younger I hated to haggle.  I learned that skill as I learned that especially in this internet day and age it is sometimes expected.  Look at an Ebay ad, you sometimes bid for an item against other bidders, there is Buy It Now, and there is "Make an Offer."  So haggling is not exactly a crazy idea.

I live in an area near Ohio where we have Amish.  For those of you who don't know the Amish are a very honest, very straight forward group of people and they buy and sell a lot.  If an Amish man has a Belgian horse for sale for $1500, the price is the price.  It doesn't matter what else a person thinks the animal is worth, it's $1500 or No Sale.  That is the Amish culture.

We all come from different cultures, and it's all OK.  We don't all have to agree, we just need to understand one another.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

That tweeter assembly you made is tremendous.  Does it use the K-77?

No it does not. I looked at a bad K-77 I had with the idea of doing something but decided against it. Those four small screws holding the magnet on to the horn don't have much engagement and anything I did would be heavier than OEM. The other and bigger objection I had was reusing the horn. I never did like the idea of them behind the motor board assuming that rough opening could not possibly help fidelity. Did not want to cut the motor board to front mount the horn either since once you hack and whack values can plummet. The best answer I could see was the eliptrac idea. K-77's are hard to replace as a drop in because there are few drivers small enough that sound good. Bob Crites has his own variant of the APT-50 which he says is made to the original specs whereas the new Eminence ones are of lesser quality. Maybe one day I will get a set from him and see but for now all I can  say is these Eminence APT-50's sound better to me than the old K-77's they replaced.

I am probably going to figure out a horn for the B&C DE 120 or 110 too. Aluminum has to be much better structurally than particleboard and it looks much nicer. This would add to the available driver options. Choices are really limited with the space Klipsch allowed for in La Scalas and Heresy's and others.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-pro-la-scala-with/6528552356.html

Here is the ad you asked about. Perfect timing as Nashville went from no La Scalas for a long time to three sets including mine. Feast or famine I guess but mine sound the best :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The irony of my assessment is I LOVE the LSI with the aluminum trim!  And with all the really nice quality upgrades they would still have a limited upside because of the Industrial look and the fact that most wives would not let them in the living room.  :(

That would go for Forte's and Chorus and Cornwall speakers also since my number one source for top condition speakers has been WAF rejection of the big ugly boxes. Something I am going to try is brown tinted Duratex with new corner guards on a set or two of Pro speakers. It is kind of cool industrial looking. Maybe I can list it as Steam Punk stuff since they seem to go for that. I do too though not a steam punk. I saw a set of Pro speakers somewhere on the forum that had used a reddish color with plastic guards and it looked pretty good. School color I think was the reason.

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-pro-la-scala-with/6528552356.html

Here is the ad you asked about. Perfect timing as Nashville went from no La Scalas for a long time to three sets including mine. Feast or famine I guess but mine sound the best

Good ad, lots of good pictures.  Let me suggest a couple of minor changes that may help your sale.

DELETE:  You are asking top dollar, don't describe anything on your speakers as "cheap."  Nice thing about these drivers is they are cheap, very good and easy to replace. K-77's are expensive to buy used or repair and are delicate in comparison.

DELETE:  Too much information!  ;)  Let the speaker pics speak for themselves.   Repainted and look good but not professionally repainted. Hey, they are working mans speakers after all and made for SOUND not fru fru.

• Like 1