The Subwoofer is dead as we know it

vasubandu

My THTLP'S are 18"x15"x72" tall. I think they are considered the 'slim' version.

The reason I got two was I figured I could put one in a known location that works and use the second to experiment with other locations for more even coverage.

In my room it works best just to have them together....in a corner. They are identical so with them butted right up against each other it just looks like one big sub that is 36x30x72. It's a heck of a lot easier to transport in two pieces as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SWL said:

My THTLP'S are 18"x15"x72" tall. I think they are considered the 'slim' version.

The reason I got two was I figured I could put one in a known location that works and use the second to experiment with other locations for more even coverage.

In my room it works best just to have them together....in a corner. They are identical so with them butted right up against each other it just looks like one big sub that is 36x30x72. It's a heck of a lot easier to transport in two pieces as well.

they look like the monolith from 2001 😊

• Like 1

I have to say that he achieved the unobtrusive effect with putting it in the corner and the exterior finish.  Would not work easily for me.  The left front corner has a window all the way to the end, and the right from corner is another 100 feet away in a nook.  I am really looking forward to his plans, and hope will comment on the round idea.

Build a tube out of masonite and wrap it.  Frame it out with curved  braces on each of the 4 sides.  Now you have the added benefit of the diffusion of the curved panels.  Stuff the void formed by the masonite with Owens Corning 703 fiberglass.  Hey, this is kind of fun to think about!

Only after proper in room measurements and and external minidsp for low pass filtering correct?  Don't forget external amplification is needed as well.
The mini-dsp is mandatory if you want to cut the sub off lower than 90hz.

31 minutes ago, muel said:

Build a tube out of masonite and wrap it.  Frame it out with curved  braces on each of the 4 sides.  Now you have the added benefit of the diffusion of the curved panels.  Stuff the void formed by the masonite with Owens Corning 703 fiberglass.  Hey, this is kind of fun to think about!

The diffusion of the curved panels is proving to be an issue I had not expected.  Who knew that tubes had rules? I have read about putting lots of stuff in them, but never itchy fiberglass before.  I was thinking maybe one of the kids.  And yes, this is fun, at least for me.

7 hours ago, vasubandu said:

The diffusion of the curved panels is proving to be an issue I had not expected.  Who knew that tubes had rules? I have read about putting lots of stuff in them, but never itchy fiberglass before.  I was thinking maybe one of the kids.  And yes, this is fun, at least for me.

Diffusion is a good thing.  PWK liked curved Masonite panels for diffusion.   Look for his “dope from Hope” on the subject.   I have it somewhere but you might find it here first.  Where the subs sound best placement wise might not be where you want diffusion but I’d venture a guess diffusion is better than the reflection you get off those monoliths.  Build ‘em and take pictures... we would love to see!