Added speaker spikes, lost mid-range?

Derrick

Ok, I hope that I am just imagining this but I added a set of Dayton Audio speaker spikes to a pair of Dalquest QX9’s that had rubber ill fitting feet. The bass tightened up a lot and the vibration that was coming through the floor was mostly eliminated. What I didn’t expect was to lose the mid-range. The vocals are now what I would describe as “in the back seat” instead of forward. They have lost the depth of sound and all vocals have lost the weight/depth/colour. Anyone experience the same and most importantly, any ideas on how to fix it. No other changes were made to the system. Speakers are in the same location with the same toe-in.

Any guidance is appreciated 

Either you broke something when putting the feet on or it is your imagination.  The only last things that make some sense is that you have better bass releasing your focus on the mids, you have changed the angle/height, got rid of distortion that you thought was midrange but really is not.  The spikes should have tightened up the bass and put the mid/treble in better focus due to lack of the speaker vibrating.

• Like 1

I think you are finding the drastic change that can occur from raising your speakers (with or without spikes).  Spikes are not a panacea.  While I'm not a fan of rubber feet I'd suggest changing them with something of the same height first.  Raising speakers does affect the imaging as well.  If you are wanting to raise the speakers experiment using wood blocks at different heights.  It won't be the same as spikes but it will give you an idea of other effects.

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. The rubber feet that I removed were more like rubber spikes as far as the height is concerned. The overall height of the speakers is about the same. Maybe a half an inch difference at most.

I may have to go back to the drawing board with speaker placement due to the changes in the sound.