Faital Pro HF146 on LaScala experiment

jwgorman

How does it sound? You using that as a 2-way or 3-way? Spec's on that driver list frequency response from 700hz-18khz, the bass bin is crossed over at 400hz isn't it? Is that the same horn that Crites uses in his Type "D" Cornscala? 

I’m trying it as a two way. I’d seen some posts saying it was ok to cross it at 500 for home use. It’s a different sound, I’ve not taken any measurements on it yet.  Been listening at 85-90 db mostly. And yes, this is the horn Crites has in his type D cornscalas. 

I had contemplated using those with my Belle project but ended up going with the 3-way setup.  One of these days, I just may try it as the tops of my cabinets are separate from the bottoms so I could either make new grills & side panels to get the horns to fit or just sit them on top.  But, most likely it would be in the top section as that keeps with the Belle look.

Bob had told via email that he could make a crossover if I used the Faital driver/horn combo he had.  I'd be curious how that worked out, myself.

Per Bob C.....  "If you want to go to a two way, and would choose the following parts, I could do a crossover to mate those up.  That would be using a Faital HF140 16 ohm driver on the Faital LTH 142 horn.  I have worked with that enough that I could build a crossover for that."

• Like 1

Alright so a couple hours in, I think I like -7db best with my first order. 

There is something not quite right with the mid crossover, maybe the 500 hz, and I’m hearing a little sibilance I ‘m not used to. Maybe these are artifacts of the horn? 

Man there is something pretty cool about how it presents acoustic guitars and voices though and it seems less constrained generally. 

I really don’t know what I’m doing here. But I shot a measurement at 1yard with the sub on

56E252B3-6CA3-434E-8BC9-3E3AFC173A62.png

If you are using just caps then you have first order high pass filters. With no filtering in lowpass mode for the woofer and midrange.

A cap will give you 6 db/octave for a resistive load only. say 8 Ohms,  If the impedance deviate substantially from a constant load so will the filter slope!

To get a resonable  6db filter crossover at 600 Hz the bassdriver has to have a flat impedance to at  least 2400 Hz (doable with a Zobel) and a flat response to 2400 Hz as well otherwise the slope will shift around for the lowpass.  The same hold true for the midrange horn that should be flat down to 150 Hz!

So adding a cap in series with the midrange and a coil in series with the woofer, is low slope crossover, and first order in one sense of the word but still not a "true" 6dB filter with that phase and frequency response of a theoretical filter. IRL it will be a hybrid filter with various slopes and orders where it counts, in the accoustic domain.