Gibson on verge of Bankruptcy

Travis In Austin

54 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

As is Remington Arms. Announced prior to the Florida school tragedy. I believe they are, were the oldest arms manufacturer in the US. Dozens of lawsuits from accidental discharges finally broke their back. Sorry to thread crap --- 

7 hours ago, richieb said:

As is Remington Arms. Announced prior to the Florida school tragedy. I believe they are, were the oldest arms manufacturer in the US. Dozens of lawsuits from accidental discharges finally broke their back. Sorry to thread crap --- 

Remington is apart of my local economy....They have been struggling for years...

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/business/2018/02/remington_gun_company_seeks_refinancing_so_it_can_reorganize_in_bankruptcy_repro.html

8 hours ago, Schu said:

And yet Martin plugs along in the top spot where it's always belonged!

Maybe... absolutely love Martin guitars. Gibson has a history of goofs, transfer of ownership and diversification that hasn't always been the best for the company. Of course, you know I also like Taylor, but they've only been around since the 1970s. They have come up with techniques and tools that they have shared with the industry, Martin included. They are also, as is Martin, focused on making better instruments. This pays off for everyone. There are lots of smaller companies out there making superb instruments. We are really in a golden age of lutherie, making errors in judgement fatal to a company.

Bruce

46 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Maybe... absolutely love Martin guitars. Gibson has a history of goofs, transfer of ownership and diversification that hasn't always been the best for the company. Of course, you know I also like Taylor, but they've only been around since the 1970s. They have come up with techniques and tools that they have shared with the industry, Martin included. They are also, as is Martin, focused on making better instruments. This pays off for everyone. There are lots of smaller companies out there making superb instruments. We are really in a golden age of lutherie, making errors in judgement fatal to a company.

Bruce

Agreed... we've been in the golden age for many many years now, perhaps decades. I've owned 12 Martin's , a couple Bourgeois a goodall and a Santa cruz... they are all wonderful and different and I ALWAYS return to Martin mainly because they are true to CF and the history, like Klipsch is. It also helps that the product is also outstanding. 

If I get another acoustic it will probably be a Foggy Bottom.

All these guitars definitely qualify as Heirloom items.

The only Gibson I've owned was an ess335... and that was many years ago in the late 70's or so. I never wanted to return after discovering I was mainly an acoustic guy.

I've wanted to get a Lowden O-32 for a long time, but really, I don't need to be collecting expensive guitars at this point in my life. Not expecting to leave any time soon, but any of the guitars I would like are pretty big investments. A good friend of mine has a nice collection of Martins, with two or three from the custom shop. He has two D-728 models, a 7/8 size D-28. Impeccable craftsmanship and a delight to play. Martin doesn't even list them as models they have made, and they did only 100 of them if I remember correctly.  He told I might get my '63 D-28 back from him one of these days. I told him I could never afford it (sold it to him for $350!).

Bruce

63 d28 is brazilian. he should probably never sell that.

I had a Brazilian Martin Dreadnought, a D28LF... lester flatt custom model, but I could never get used to the neck size 11/16". I am more of a 1-3/4 to 1-11/16, preferably Orchestra deep body with a slothead... Ive owned my last Banjo Killer.

10 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Kills me.  My brother sold his Gibson Melody Maker that he got NEW back in the day 1960's (sunburst, original case, with amplifier) for $50 to a friend of mine.  That friend later needed money and offered it to me for $50.  I passed.  I have no idea where that guitar is now, but I wish I had it.

Like Charles Bronson says in the Magnificent Seven, "Right now 20 bucks is a lot".

JJK

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 1:35 PM, Schu said:

63 d28 is brazilian. he should probably never sell that.

I'm hoping he will gift it back to me. :o

He lives in Pennsylvania, drove it over to Martin to have some fretwork done to it. When he went back to pick it up, the guy who brought it out to him pulled out a roll of cash... $5000 worth, to see if he would sell it. He told him 'no thanks'.

• Like 1

Depending on overall condition, it could be worth much more than that. I've lost track with the market as a whole but I check models I like and that gives me a moving average idea of where pricing is... it's way up over a decade or so ago. Any martin that has Brazilian is a big time guitar in terms of value. 5000$ might have been some what appropriate at the time that your story occurred, but it's not uncommon to see Martin dreadnoughts break 100,000-200,000$... but those are probably pretty rare units with something special in the build. I would imagine a 62 d28 in Brazilian is in the 7-15k area depending on condition and appointments. The 28 by definition is the "base" model with little to now special treatments. Then there is the 42 and finally the 45 which the top of the "normal" line. All are built to the same or very similar specifications with golden era bracing patterns and hide glue. The older 28's sometimes received herringbone binding long before there was a HD28 model.

Okay, this is me (on the left) in '68, with a D-21. It was a sweet guitar, but it wasn't mine. Roger, on the right, is the one with the good sized Martin collection. I believe he also still has his Vega banjo from this time period. Vega was acquired by Marting and later by the Deering Banjo Co.

Bruce

Bruce_Roger.jpg