McIntosh / Klipsch

Wrench722

I have been a Klipsch junkie for over forty five years and I wanted to hear my Klipsch with the best amps possible. I noticed that Paul Klipsch used McIntosh amps to power his speakers. So I went out and purchased McIntosh amps to power my Klipsch. Man! What a great sound! 

I found a great deal on a McIntosh XCS200 center channel speaker and man that thing is the best sounding speaker I have ever heard!! The clarity is just unreal compared the the Klipsckorns I have as my L/R. 

What is McIntosh doing to there speakers that Klipsch is not? 

I am now in the market for new L/R front speakers.... 

14 minutes ago, Wrench722 said:

What I paid has no bearing.... 

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You are absolutely right.

Agreed.  People seem obsessed with what the current owner paid for the item.

That has no bearing on what they are willing to sell it for.

The buyer and seller agree on a price.  If it is too high for you, then move on.

I don't like to lowball people on their items.  I guess this is because I hate people trying to lowball me on items I price fairly (I do my research).

I don't offer less, unless they are not as described or they include OBO, then I may make a modestly lower offer (but I normally don't).

I won't contact a person unless I am willing to pay the asking price (why waste either of our time?).

I have been asked when I buy something, "I got a lot of emails, how much is it really worth." (This is for the people that don't jack up the price).

I'll tell them.  I have never shown up and had someone "bait and switch" me.

If you want to know how much I paid, you can ask me after they are loaded and the money is in my pocket.

Some people have asked and I have answered.  As stated above, it doesn't matter.  We reached an agreed upon price.

Good luck with your sale and search for new L/R speakers.

21 hours ago, Wrench722 said:

I have been a Klipsch junkie for over forty five years and I wanted to hear my Klipsch with the best amps possible. I noticed that Paul Klipsch used McIntosh amps to power his speakers. So I went out and purchased McIntosh amps to power my Klipsch. Man! What a great sound! 

I found a great deal on a McIntosh XCS200 center channel speaker and man that thing is the best sounding speaker I have ever heard!! The clarity is just unreal compared the the Klipsckorns I have as my L/R. 

What is McIntosh doing to there speakers that Klipsch is not? 

I am now in the market for new L/R front speakers.... 

A guy in Vegas had a pair of the McIntosh XCS speakers for sale last year.  Don't get too excited. 

I went this route with B&W 800 series speakers years ago and came back to Klipsch Palladiums.  They have the same sound but also have dynamics that were missing with the B&Ws (and I assume McIntosh) speakers. 

• Like 1

I never warmed up to the McIntosh speakers, though I do run a McIntosh MA6400 integrated in my secondary system, but the speakers...all those little mids and tweets firing at the same time...but as I always say this is a taste thing, not science.  The 1200k or 2000k from the same line would be logical lefts and rights, but very expensive.  You should probably carefully audition them somewhere before buying.  Meanwhile maybe try to run a center channel more inlne with your Klipsch fronts, a heresy? A belle?   Regards, tony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

Jesus you guys. I can assure you I was just bull shitting around. I assure you I'm not a lowballer, hell I gave Jimbo $2 grand for speakers he was selling for $1,900. Christ

Sorry, I meant my comments as a general statement.  I wasn't trying to imply YOU are a lowballer, that was not my intent.

Humor/tone is hard to judge on any text statement.  Sorry, I probably responded more thoroughly than I should have. 

All I meant was:

If you find a steal of a deal on a pair of La Scala for $100, I will congratulate you on the find.

If I you sell them to me for say $600, I won't complain that you made money on them.

I will thank for for selling me one of my favorite model of Klipsch.  

If I end up selling them, neither of the prices should have any affect on my sale price.

Apologies to OP and anyone offended.

Back to the potential sale.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 9:49 PM, Wrench722 said:

The clarity is just unreal compared the the Klipschorns I have as my L/R...What is McIntosh doing to there speakers that Klipsch is not? 

When I got the K-402-MEH running and dialed in, I was struck by the clarity of its presentation over the corner located Jubs.  It's still amazing when I put on a good multichannel recording or movie (i.e., 5.1 surround sound).  This hasn't changed over the 2+ years since I got the MEH up and running. Understand that just putting a good center loudspeaker with controlled coverage throughout its midbass band will usually result in impressions of startling clarity and speech recognition over stereo-only mode.  This is a function of stereo itself (i.e., the "fundamental flaw of stereo" that Toole talks about extensively in his book). 

I've found that if the timbre of the center doesn't match the front left/right loudspeakers, you more or less continuously spend your time being aware of the localization of the sound by each loudspeaker by timbre...but when you finally match the timbre, you find yourself immersed in the listening experience, forgetting all about the mechanics of loudspeakers, room acoustics and the sound reproduction domain in general. 

Basically, it's the same experience as going to a movie theater with good sound systems.  When you're there listening to a good sound system, you typically don't spend much time focused on the sound system itself.  But you'll be aware much of your time covering your ears to protect your ears during high magnitude sound effects and music if the sound system is not good.  I've found that Klipsch cinema systems usually sound the best to my ears nowadays--and that's not really a plug for Klipsch necessarily but rather a statement of how much the movie theaters have placed their attention on digital projection to the exclusion of the quality of the sound systems--because of costs. Once the commercial cinemas get the new digital projectors and the reclining foot-rest chairs, they low ball the sound systems it seems.

As far as your McIntosh center, if you instead find a good Belle or La Scala to dial in, and move the nearby furniture and electronics racks out of the way, you'll probably do a lot better job of matching timbre, and you'll probably be focused on the experience again rather than how good or bad some one loudspeaker happens to sound.  That's been my experience. YMMV.

Chris