Death of the CD

Travis In Austin

For old people like me---I can forgo disc and albums.

I had a ton of them at one time.

Since I am older--when I move I don't have to pack it up and

tote it around,

An when I die, I don't have to worry about who gets it.

I have a couple of sound systems and no one to

leave it with when I kick off this mortal coil.

My friends would probably want it if it was a Sound Bar...B)

So what do I care?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Schu said:

My compact discs sound phenomenal...

I put them up to my ear and can't hear a thing!  Must be the hole in the middle?

I found some clear plastic boxes at Target that are a good size that hold a few hundred apiece.  They stack and store nicely as I use my Exact Copy rips.  It is nice to have them as backups!

Albums never fully died and have made a substantial comeback even with their delicate nature. Cant say that about 8 tracks or cassettes or even reel to reel.  CD's are hard to beat unless you're comparing them to a DVDA, SACD or Blu-ray Audio.  The latter formats are what I'm disappointed that haven't really taken off. 

The idea that Best Buy is going to carry a CD collection that's anything liked Amazon's catalog of online sales is crazy...and perhaps Best Buy has finally realized that.  I can sit in the comfort of my home and listen to snippets of tracks off of most of the CDs from Amazon or perhaps YouTube before buying--something that I very rarely found available at Best Buy.  I can also buy most CDs used in Amazon Marketplace for a small fraction of their original price--usually much less than buying high quality downloads. Amazon is still carrying CDs and I would guess that they have no plans to stop anytime soon.  

"The low hanging fruit has already been picked [at Best Buy], and going forward, the company is increasing investments in technology, labor, and supply chain to maintain its leadership position,"...He anticipates same-store sales of -1.5 percent in the second quarter and -1 percent in the third quarter.

It sounds like they're doing battle with Amazon and they're at the peak of their stock price before the reality of their business situation comes apparent to all.  I think the company is really being managed to increase short-term stock price rather than some sort of sustainable brick-and-mortar strategy (YMMV). 

I haven't been in a Best Buy in many years, whereas I used to go there at about once a month in the 90s.  That speaks to me about the overall future health of that company.

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Albums never fully died and have made a substantial comeback even with their delicate nature. Cant say that about 8 tracks or cassettes or even reel to reel.  CD's are hard to beat unless you're comparing them to a DVDA, SACD or Blu-ray Audio.  The latter formats are what I'm disappointed that haven't really taken off. 

Cassette sales are making a comeback...https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/music/a15049962/cassette-tape-sales-2017/

• Like 1