Flea Watt Amp Recommendations

TJIann

OK. I have a setup that I really love using a Prima Luna Prolog 5 w/Kt88s to drive my Cornwall IIs (w/Crites upgrades), McIntosh MX119 preamp, and McIntosh 2105 to drive the rear Heresy I speakers (plus a Hersey center driven by an Outlaw Audio monoblock). Anyway, most of my focus is on the stereo portion of this (rest is for quadraphonic and 5.1 surround recordings). 

I am looking to get a low watt stereo amp to try out with the Cornwall IIs just for a change.  I know that sound is subjective, and I don't have dealers close by to try out different amps.  So, just looking to see what you all like for tube amps in the 2-7 or so watt range with your Klipsch Heritage.  What I will say is I really like big bass and so the KT88s and equivalent work well for me.  I'll likely try and pick something up used. The ampsandsound Big Ben is one option if one comes up used.  Others?

Thanks for any perspectives.

Tim

A few years ago I built a couple of Decware SE-84 amps that I bridge for around 5 watts per channel. They use EL-84 output tubes, and sound great powering my  Khorns. 

I've heard nothing but good things about ampsandsound and would love to try out some of Justin's amps.

Really low watts and big bass are kind of diametrically opposed are they not?

There is a tube sub section here on the forums and there are several folks who could build you a flea watt tube amp, but you should also check out Dennis had and his sep amps. Auto bias and ability to use just about any 6l6 power tube up to the kt150 and we350b as long as its an octet. They are really clean and deliver very smooth sub 10 watt sound, but big bass is not characterized by its sonic signature.

14 hours ago, Schu said:

Really low watts and big bass are kind of diametrically opposed are they not?

There is a tube sub section here on the forums and there are several folks who could build you a flea watt tube amp,

Low power and powerful bass are not mutually exclusive at all!!!  There are many considerations before you get into flea power after living with a high power ultralinear design.  Definitely post in the tubes section...

Maynard

• Like 2

As you said different amps will sound different and depending what you like will be the deciding factor here. What you want is an amp that uses a very linear output tube, the more linear the better the sound quality IMO. I use a Korneff 45 type SET amp the 45 tube is quite linear and had no trouble making my khorns really sound good.

I don’t know what flea means exactly but maybe this 12 watt Abraxas would fill your need.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162885382993

Full disclosure:

This belongs to a friend who is loaning it to me until it sells. For my sake I hope it never sells but I know he needs to thin the herd and unfortunately I can’t afford it at the moment. When it does sell I’ll plug the Carver back in.

I have a Triode Labs 2A3 amplifier with all James iron and it certainly has BASS.

With my new'sh Jub-likes, the 2A3 is now just handling the 402/Fatial HF200.

But when it powers my Cornscalas full range, the sound is full, smooth and dynamic. B)