turn down volume multiple times (la scala)

51coronet

I have a pair of vintage La Scalas hooked up to a Yamaha rx-v683.  If I go from playing music loud to wanting a mellow sound in the house I end up lowering the volume multiple times.

Its as if the loudness crawls back up a bit after a few minutes of lowering the volume.  Is this my ears adjusting?  Inherent with La Scalas?  Inherent with the amp?  I did have other speakers hooked up to the amp and never noticed this before until the la scalas were hooked up.  All crossover caps have been replaced on both la scalas fyi.  I got these used recently and replaced the caps before hooking them up.

Has anyone else noticed this with their system? 

I agree with Diz.  Was just doing that last night.  I turned it down to -50, listened for a bit, felt like it was still to loud for late evening, finally ended up at -60 after a couple of other downward bumps.  Diz hit the nail on the head with efficiency and I'm not running Heritage, just some old 5.5's.  I don't think there's anything wrong with your setup.

Does your receiver have some sort of loudness control or similar?  Look into it's menu and if it does turn it off.

*edit* I looked at your receivers info.  It has YPAO Volume as a feature.  In guessing it's set to on?  If so, turn it off.  You're welcome.  :emotion-22:

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Does your receiver have some sort of loudness control or similar?  Look into it's menu and if it does turn it off.

*edit* I looked at your receivers info.  It has YPAO Volume as a feature.  In guessing it's set to on?  If so, turn it off.  You're welcome.  :emotion-22:

Interesting!!  I do have it on.  I stream a lot from youtube.  YPAO on brings more of the music into the room versus inside the speakers at low volumes.  I will play with it more when low volume listening is on the agenda.  I will add that all of the music sounds much better with the setting on, warmer richer, fuller.  Thanks for pointing it out.  This receiver is new to me and has lots of bells/whistles I am still learning about.  So far I like it.  Remote takes getting used to (very cluttered).

It is possible that with the cap change in the crossover that the mids are now too hot. After a while, fatigue sets in, you turn the volume down. Then it is actually worse, due to the f-m curve. The bass and treble are now even less prominent.

Perhaps the ypao is adjusting for it.

Bruce

• Moderators
5 hours ago, DizRotus said:
6 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Ears adjusting.

Exactly.

A difference is the clarity of efficient low distortion horn-loaded speakers allows one to hear all the details at lower volume.

Your ears/brain adjust.

Anytime I listen loud for even a few minutes then turn it back to what I think is normal and leave the room. When you come back it still seems louder that you thought you left it.. It will keep happening until you get where you normally listen. It happens to me often because I normally do not look at the number but just turn the knob to it get's where I want it.

I tried it by the numbers just to see, lets say I like at -25 then listen loud for just one song, -25 then sounds very low at first, lower than normal.

Hate when my brain plays tricks on me, but it knows how easy it is to do. :mellow:

• Like 1

When playing good speakers, with good bass output, loudly, the bass can be heard from outside the space.  The cue to the outsider is that loud music is playing inside for the bass to be perceived so strongly outside.  Upon entering the space, loud music from efficient low distortion horn-loaded speakers doesn’t seem as loud, or too loud, when you hear the entire spectrum.

Contrast that to the “bass” pounding van at the intersection.  If you were foolish enough to get in the van, the distorted sound would be unpleasantly loud.

10 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

When playing good speakers, with good bass output, loudly, the bass can be heard from outside the space.  The cue to the outsider is that loud music is playing inside for the bass to be perceived so strongly outside.  Upon entering the space, loud music from efficient low distortion horn-loaded speakers doesn’t seem as loud, or too loud, when you hear the entire spectrum.

Contrast that to the “bass” pounding van at the intersection.  If you were foolish enough to get in the van, the distorted sound would be unpleasantly loud.

With some of those bass pounding van systems, you don't have to get in to hear some serious distortion, you can hear it from 3 lanes away. It makes one wonder if they realize how nasty that sounds.

• Like 1