Am I missing out? Blu-Ray player question

wuzzzer

So I used to use my PS3 for gaming, CD player and Blu-Ray player.  I hadn't played any games on it for years so I sold it and bought a used Sony 5 disc CD changer and a brand new Sony Blu-Ray player.  The Blu-Ray player was cheap, retails at $100 and I think I paid 70 shipped on eBay.  It's very tiny.  Not much bigger than a Blu-Ray case.

After watching several movies on it I started wondering if I was missing out on anything by using such a cheap player?  To my eyes and ears the picture quality and audio quality are awesome.  The player also has Wi-Fi and tons of built-in apps.

What differences would there be going up to something like an oppo player or other brand in the $500 to $1000 range?

500-1000$ is quite a range... that is in AWESOME territory for a playback device.

I think you have to ask yourself a few personal questions...

how much am I into movies and home theater?

What display equipment do I own that can take advantage of a new player?

Do I want to be able to play 5.1 music?

More modern/current units are much more than pure resolution... there are visual dynamic range capabilities, color space and sound processing issues to be gained.

Even when I still had my 1080 plasma I could clearly see a big jump in color representation and quality with my new Oppo 203 over my older 83 even though the older unit still looked really good and my monitor was not capable of displaying 4k and high dynamic range.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Schu!  I'm not going to be upgrading my tv anytime soon.   I guess I'll probably wait and once I get a 4k tv then I'll look into a higher end player.

Maybe it's a good thing that I'm happy with my current player.  At least for my wallet!

I don't know how to answer your question directly.  However, I have a Denon DVD-2910 and a Sony BDP-BX1.  The Denon plays everything but Blu-Ray and upconverts DVDs to 1080p beautifully, so that you would think you were watching a Blu-Ray disc.  It's sound is outstanding.  Its DVD-Audio performance ended my vinyl collection.  The Sony plays Blu-Rays with a picture just as you would expect and from a Blu-Ray the sound is excellent.  But put a DVD in the Sony and the picture looks a lot like a VHS tape, splotchy, with random color patches and blurred edges, when set to upconvert to 1080.  The sound is no better than a CD.

I had lots of DVDs when Blu-Ray came out and thought it might be a fad, so I was unwilling to put much money into it; I paid $250 when it had first hit the market.  I bought the Denon on sale at the end of its model run for $600 (MSRP may have been $1300+, but they seemed to sell for about $700). 

Enjoy what you have, but if you can, borrow a better player and see. 

• Thanks 1