Best Integrated amps for original Fortes

kadini

On 2/21/2018 at 6:30 AM, ODS123 said:

In short, good Stereo is best, but Mono is wayyyy better than bad Stereo.

When I work around the house I put the AVR into Mono mode.  It's almost shocking how good everything sounds everywhere!

10 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

If you can spend up to $2K (I believe I read is what you said) check out the new Quicksilver Integrated. Four EL84 tubes per channel.

I was looking at spending around $2000 for everything, int amp, plus the cd, dac, wifi, BT, etc. but people keep pointing me to really cool stuff that cost more.

Right now the Marantz PM8006 (or 7005) and ND8006 look like they do everything I want in my prices range. Wish they were silver:(

But, seriously, it's not that I can't afford to spend more.

Question, if I got the Quicksilver or the Parasound amps what would I hook up to them? I.e. still need the CD/dac/wifi & BT.

At least I know what my speakers are...

12 hours ago, kadini said:

I was looking at spending around $2000 for everything, int amp, plus the cd, dac, wifi, BT, etc. but people keep pointing me to really cool stuff that cost more.

Right now the Marantz PM8006 (or 7005) and ND8006 look like they do everything I want in my prices range. Wish they were silver:(

But, seriously, it's not that I can't afford to spend more.

Question, if I got the Quicksilver or the Parasound amps what would I hook up to them? I.e. still need the CD/dac/wifi & BT.

At least I know what my speakers are...

Yes, you would still need a source and any other ancillary pieces.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, Rivernuggets said:

This Parasound Halo Integrated has more bells and whistles than you want but the styling is excellent, IMO. Haven't personally heard this but drooled over it plenty. 160 watts x 2 will leave you with plenty of headroom on those Fortes.

On 2/22/2018 at 10:12 AM, TubeHiFiNut said:

If you can spend up to $2K (I believe I read is what you said) check out the new Quicksilver Integrated. Four EL84 tubes per channel.

Heard it this past weekend on a pair of Belles. Sounded wonderful. Really wonderful.

Oh man.  I want both of these.  I've got the itch to try something new with my Forte IIs.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've been debating off and on about buying a set of Fortes locally, with the main problem being my original demo was done in a poor room with a carver SS hook up.

However, I have pretty much convinced myself to buy the Fortes, but am planning to hook them up to my Jolida tube amp.  This integrated makes everything sound better, plus leaves you a few shekels left over for other fun stuff to hook up to it (like my Teac CD-P650 which has a DAC and USB for an iPhone in it), or a vintage pre (like my Proton) with an MC phono stage and tone controls.

If there are Jolida amps around, they may be worth a look at, especially the 302 series which can be rebiased to take KT88 or 6550 tubes.  I'm running mine with KT88, and it sounds wonderful.  

Good luck on this, and have fun shopping.