R-15pm phono hum. help please?

overkill321

I recently picked up a pair of klipsch R-15PM and I am getting a terrible hum when I switch it to the input to play my record player (Audio-Technica-LP120-USB). I have tried it while using and not using my preamp. I've tried it grounded to the preamp and tried it just grounded to the speakers.

The hum is  there when nothing is plugged into the input as well (noting hooked into the speakers, but set the input to phono). The hum does get louder when I hook everything back up, the hum gets louder as I increase the volume and makes using my record player to listen to anything impossible.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? or if  the speakers might just be defective? (I returned my first set, because of the same issue and this new pair is doing the same)

They work fine when using bluetooth as an input. There is no noticeable hum

and I didn't have this hum issue before getting the Klipsch speakers. I was previously using my preamp and a set of old desktop Bose 2.0 companion speakers (10 or more years old), but they finally died on me.

Thanks for any suggestions

Sounds like defective speakers to me if it's present without any input.  One thing you might try is removing the ground (if they have a ground) on the A/C plug through conversion.  You should be able to find them at Wal-Mart for about $4.

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-MP1043WW-Grounding-Adapter-2-Pack/dp/B01K1JQSWS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519258069&sr=8-5&keywords=3+prong+to+2+prong+adapter

If that doesn't work, I'd probably return them for another pair or even better yet, return them for a pair of The Sixes.

19 hours ago, overkill321 said:

I recently picked up a pair of klipsch R-15PM and I am getting a terrible hum when I switch it to the input to play my record player (Audio-Technica-LP120-USB). I have tried it while using and not using my preamp. I've tried it grounded to the preamp and tried it just grounded to the speakers.

The hum is  there when nothing is plugged into the input as well (noting hooked into the speakers, but set the input to phono). The hum does get louder when I hook everything back up, the hum gets louder as I increase the volume and makes using my record player to listen to anything impossible.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? or if  the speakers might just be defective? (I returned my first set, because of the same issue and this new pair is doing the same)

They work fine when using bluetooth as an input. There is no noticeable hum

and I didn't have this hum issue before getting the Klipsch speakers. I was previously using my preamp and a set of old desktop Bose 2.0 companion speakers (10 or more years old), but they finally died on me.

Thanks for any suggestions

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/hum-in-a-hi-fi-system-or-turntable

On 2/21/2018 at 6:08 PM, The History Kid said:

Sounds like defective speakers to me if it's present without any input.  One thing you might try is removing the ground (if they have a ground) on the A/C plug through conversion.  You should be able to find them at Wal-Mart for about $4.

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-MP1043WW-Grounding-Adapter-2-Pack/dp/B01K1JQSWS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519258069&sr=8-5&keywords=3+prong+to+2+prong+adapter

If that doesn't work, I'd probably return them for another pair or even better yet, return them for a pair of The Sixes.

I went out and got the 3 to 2 prong adapters, still have the same issue with the hum.  I'm thinking I may just have to return these ones as well.  Trust me I would have loved to get a pair of The Sixes, but they are a little more than what I was wanting to spend.  I was able to get the r-15pm on sale on Amazon for 290 shipped a while back, seemed like a good deal at the time.

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Thanks for the link. I still get the hum even when the turntable is not connected to the speakers. I completely unhooked everything from the speakers and the hum is still there.  

Then I tried unhooking the left speaker from the right and still had the hum coming from the right speaker.  I then took the right speaker to several different outlets throughout my house and the hum happened every time I turned the speaker on.  The hum is only there when the speaker is set to the input labeled "phono", doesn't matter if I use line or phono setting (using or not using my preamp). 

So I'm kind of lost at the moment. just seems odd to get 2 sets of defective speakers if that is the case. 

Also I do have a promedia 2.1 that I have hooked up to my computer, that does not have any issue with hum, same with my no longer working bose 2.0 companion, when they were still alive. 

Thanks for the replies and if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.  Otherwise I may just have to send them back.

Edited by overkill321

Just now, overkill321 said:

I went out and got the 3 to 2 prong adapters, still have the same issue with the hum.  I'm thinking I may just have to return these ones as well.  Trust me I would have loved to get a pair of The Sixes, but they are a little more than what I was wanting to spend.  I was able to get the r-15pm on sale on Amazon for 290 shipped a while back, seemed like a good deal at the time.

I'm really thinking you are dealing with a defective unit in that case.  There's a definite tier of quality in Klipsch products.  Icon/Reference of this variety has never been very high on that list - which is why I suggested the Sixes.  Might have to wait on a sale on those, or give the 15's another go.

30 minutes ago, overkill321 said:

Thanks for the link. I still get the hum even when the turntable is not connected to the speakers. I completely unhooked everything from the speakers and the hum is still there.  

Then I tried unhooking the left speaker from the right and still had the hum coming from the right speaker.  I then took the right speaker to several different outlets throughout my house and the hum happened every time I turned the speaker on.  The hum is only there when the speaker is set to the input labeled "phono", doesn't matter if I use line or phono setting (using or not using my preamp). 

So I'm kind of lost at the moment. just seems odd to get 2 sets of defective speakers if that is the case. 

Also I do have a promedia 2.1 that I have hooked up to my computer, that does not have any issue with hum, same with my no longer working bose 2.0 companion, when they were still alive. 

Thanks for the replies and if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.  Otherwise I may just have to send them back.

under kill where are you located ?

Note:  My following comments apply to passive, non-powered speakers.  I'm not clear on just what this system is. Since it seems like a powered speaker, then others' suggestions that they are defective may be correct.  The purchaser  should probably contact Klipsch tech support.   -- LC

If you're getting hum from speakers with NOTHING connected to them, then I would suspect electro-magnetic induction or interference (EMI) in either the voice coils of the speakers or the coils in the crossover networks.  Klipsch speakers are exceptionally efficient, which greatly magnifies the sound, including induced hum, that they reproduce.  To do a little detective work on the source or cause, move the speakers around and rotate them in place if possible. The volume level of the hum should vary as you do those things -- the hum would decrease as the square of the distance as you move them away. Rotating the long axis of the crossover coils relative to the axis of the source might have a substantial effect.  I don't know of a speaker "defect" that would do this.

One forum member several years ago discovered that an electrical conduit in the corner of the room next to the speaker was the culprit.  I don't recall if he found a solution.  I don't know if grounding your building's circuitry would have any effect, but I would suggest having a good electrician check that out.

Since the hum persists with everything disconnected from your system, It probably has an exterior cause and I doubt that grounding anywhere in the system will have any effect.

Only iron or steel shielding is supposed to have any positive effect EMI -- aluminum shielding is no good for EMI, although it does wonders for radio frequency interference (RFI).  Rewiring house circuits with "Metal clad" (MC) house or commercial wire may have a small effect.  I once chased after a low-level intractable hum from one of my speakers, finally discovered it came from a exterior electrical service entry panel immediately on the other side of the house wall that included the corner containing the offending speaker.  Attempts in shielding were futile, but it was too low-level to pursue anyway.

Just remember that passive speakers don't produce hum by themselves.  This most likely has an exterior source.  Are your speakers electrically powered?

On 2/22/2018 at 5:09 PM, overkill321 said:

The hum is only there when the speaker is set to the input labeled "phono", doesn't matter if I use line or phono setting (using or not using my preamp).

even with nothing connected, does the hum change when you touch the ground post on the back?  It sounds like a ground issue or EMI interference to me.  it seems strange you'd get two defective units like that, but who knows.  were the two sets of R-15PM's close in serial numbers?  maybe it is a bad run of them??

as suggested, I'd definitely try a grounding plug adapter.  after moving to a Furman power strip, it solved the phono hum I was getting with my passive speaker setup.

https://www.parts-express.com/furman-ss-6b-6-outlet-surge-block--248-759

As a test, perhaps try plugging that speaker in at someone else's house, your work, etc. just to eliminate any possible local EMI or grounding issues with your home's electrical system.

With that turntable, using the phono stage on the powered monitor isn't necessary since it has a build in phono stage...?  yes?

On 2/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, LarryC said:

Note:  My following comments apply to passive, non-powered speakers.  I'm not clear on just what this system is. Since it seems like a powered speaker, then others' suggestions that they are defective may be correct.  The purchaser  should probably contact Klipsch tech support.   -- LC

If you're getting hum from speakers with NOTHING connected to them, then I would suspect electro-magnetic induction or interference (EMI) in either the voice coils of the speakers or the coils in the crossover networks.  Klipsch speakers are exceptionally efficient, which greatly magnifies the sound, including induced hum, that they reproduce.  To do a little detective work on the source or cause, move the speakers around and rotate them in place if possible. The volume level of the hum should vary as you do those things -- the hum would decrease as the square of the distance as you move them away. Rotating the long axis of the crossover coils relative to the axis of the source might have a substantial effect.  I don't know of a speaker "defect" that would do this.

One forum member several years ago discovered that an electrical conduit in the corner of the room next to the speaker was the culprit.  I don't recall if he found a solution.  I don't know if grounding your building's circuitry would have any effect, but I would suggest having a good electrician check that out.

Since the hum persists with everything disconnected from your system, It probably has an exterior cause and I doubt that grounding anywhere in the system will have any effect.

Only iron or steel shielding is supposed to have any positive effect EMI -- aluminum shielding is no good for EMI, although it does wonders for radio frequency interference (RFI).  Rewiring house circuits with "Metal clad" (MC) house or commercial wire may have a small effect.  I once chased after a low-level intractable hum from one of my speakers, finally discovered it came from a exterior electrical service entry panel immediately on the other side of the house wall that included the corner containing the offending speaker.  Attempts in shielding were futile, but it was too low-level to pursue anyway.

Just remember that passive speakers don't produce hum by themselves.  This most likely has an exterior source.  Are your speakers electrically powered?

The speakers I have are the r-15pm which are powered.  so maybe there might be something wrong with my electrical, didn't have the loud hum when I took one of the speakers to work.

On 2/26/2018 at 8:51 PM, wstrickland1 said:

Do you have a wifi router near the unit?

no wifi router near the speakers

On 2/27/2018 at 10:47 AM, isotopesope said:

even with nothing connected, does the hum change when you touch the ground post on the back?  It sounds like a ground issue or EMI interference to me.  it seems strange you'd get two defective units like that, but who knows.  were the two sets of R-15PM's close in serial numbers?  maybe it is a bad run of them??

as suggested, I'd definitely try a grounding plug adapter.  after moving to a Furman power strip, it solved the phono hum I was getting with my passive speaker setup.

https://www.parts-express.com/furman-ss-6b-6-outlet-surge-block--248-759

As a test, perhaps try plugging that speaker in at someone else's house, your work, etc. just to eliminate any possible local EMI or grounding issues with your home's electrical system.

With that turntable, using the phono stage on the powered monitor isn't necessary since it has a build in phono stage...?  yes?

I did take one of the speakers to work with me and there was no hum at my office. there was just a slight hiss, similar to when I just use the bluetooth input at home.  and you are right there isn't a need to use my stand alone preamp as they do have one built in. but I was just testing to see if there was any difference with the hum. the r-15-pm can accept phono or line level (by using a switch on the back).  also when I was at home with them and I touch the ground post the hum would get quieter or any metal on the back of the speaker that contains the amp.

So I am thinking there is something with my electrical that is causing the issue with the R-15PM, as I did not have the same issue when I took the right speaker to work and plugged it in.

I don't claim to know a lot about speakers and so this is kind of a learning experience for me, I don't know why the bluetooth input would work fine, but the phono input would have the hum?  are the different input powered differently?  

So I am still debating if I might just return them, I have until march 22 to send them back and I don't think I'll be able to get an electrician to come and take a look that quickly (small town, not many options).  I'm thinking sort out the electrical if there is something wrong and then maybe get something different. that way I don't get stuck with speakers that don't fully work in my house.

Thanks everyone for your input and help and if anyone has any other suggestions let me know

15 hours ago, overkill321 said:

The speakers I have are the r-15pm which are powered.  so maybe there might be something wrong with my electrical, didn't have the loud hum when I took one of the speakers to work.

I would try one of those grounding plug adapters or grounding power strips at your home.  it solved my phono hum issue with my passive setup.  prior to me adding the furman power strip, when I touched my tonearm or the ground, the hum went away.  i bet it is an electrical ground issue with your house.  so, really any phono stage is probably going to hum.

• 1 year later...

It sounds like cold solder, ESE  which never got to temp. Heat up the connections at the board. Or better remove it and replace with 60/40.  You can also remove any unnecessary connectors by soldering directly wire to board where possible .  This type of issue is common as manufacturing is occurring everywhere these days but don’t look to the manufacturers to admit it as there’s nothing they can do short of reworking every unit . 🙂 I've just bought a Pro jet Klipsch turntable (eBay)  with hum problems and will try and sort it out. 

Edited by MAB
Not complete