2 Channel/amp

Terry Palmer

How much $$$ are we looking at?

Though a stereo receiver as opposed to an integrated amp, this Yamaha has all you are looking for and more.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrn803bl/yamaha-r-n803-2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html

Or this Yamaha plus the Bluetooth adapter.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas801bl/yamaha-a-s801-2-ch-x-100-watts-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-dac-black/1.html

5FA61F3DBE3A4CD2BF6E8CA36E68C742_12074.jpg

Many others out there at different price points but these Yamahas were first to come to my mind.

Bill

Sorry to hijack your post, i’ve Just bought my first Forte IIIs and have the exact same question. I currently have them running off a NAD356 (which I’ve spec’d Up with the phono amp). It sounds brilliant at mid-higher levels but perhaps a little lacking at lower volumes. I note my NAD is “only” supply 80WPC... if I do need more headroom do I go for another nad 80WPC amp to bi-amp or spend some $$ and get a singular higher performing model... thanks!!

If the Forte III’s are as efficient as the ones and twos. It takes very little to drive them. I’m currently using a 30 per channel older solid state Fisher amp. And it’s all the power I need. I’m just looking for something that’s clean and offers both phono and Bluetooth. Many people run Fortes on as little as 5 or 10 watt tube amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps they just need to loosen up a bit - i’ve only Had them for 2 days. I’ve read a lot about the high efficiency element but have also seen a lot of posts stating they just sounded better with 120-150 odd WPC.... for what it’s worth the NAD does sound bloody good - i’d Prob prefer to have the 120WPC model but still a happy camper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Jim said:

Sorry to hijack your post, i’ve Just bought my first Forte IIIs and have the exact same question. I currently have them running off a NAD356 (which I’ve spec’d Up with the phono amp). It sounds brilliant at mid-higher levels but perhaps a little lacking at lower volumes. I note my NAD is “only” supply 80WPC... if I do need more headroom do I go for another nad 80WPC amp to bi-amp or spend some $$ and get a singular higher performing model... thanks!!

Oh boy.  This is a complicated subject, not to mention opinionated.  IMO there just isn't a quick answer to this.  

Is it the amp?  Is it the speakers?  Is it a combination?  Do the speakers need to loosen up a bit?  

Efficiency is not a static number.  Maybe the Forte III are less efficient at low levels.  Maybe a much higher power amp will sound better at low volumes - but why?  1 watt is 1 watt right?  Then...is it distortion in the amp?  Some amps can be more distorted at low power levels.  Maybe it's that higher power amps are just built better.  There is that saying: "the first watt is the most important watt" in reference to how good an amp sounds - sound quality above high power numbers.  But is this about a lack of noise?  What is the quality that delivers more dynamics at lower volumes than other amps with similar output?  Is it high current?  Man...I just don't know :D

I just don't know the answers.  I have avoided this money pit of a problem, because well money pit, and I generally like to crank it a bit anyway so I'm not as plagued by lack of dynamics at lower volumes.

I think -  a very high quality amp will likely do the trick, but I'd want to be able to trial a few options to listen for myself.  Probably a class A amp.

I suppose by your user name you are in Australia.  If you were in my area I'd gladly lend you my NAD C272 amp or C372 integrated (150wpc) to test the higher power theory at a lower end of the amp $cale. Maybe a fellow enthusiast in your area could help out.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:57 PM, Terry Palmer said:

What would be a good 2 channel/amp with phono for vinyl and Bluetooth for streaming that would work well with Klipsch Forte’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I don't know.  

I've always had budget oriented amps, like Adcom pre and amp, NAD amps and integrated amps, Carver integrated, NAD/Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo/Pioneer receivers.  But...from much listening to higher end / amped systems of friends and demo systems over the years - I can't help but think it's worth spending a lot more on the amp.  bluetooth and phono pre can be handled separately from whatever amp you use.  

I'll get around to this, and figure out the best amp I can afford to buy.  There are those that think amps all sound the same - which I find ridiculous personally.  I've heard significant differences between amps in my own systems.

There is also the concept of synergy.  For whatever reason some amps/pre just sound better with some speakers.  I've experienced this, switching from a NAD amp to a Yamaha with the same speakers and the difference was huge, and made no logical sense to me.  I don't know how to determine that other than trial and error.

The Emotiva would be a good one i bet......50 watts should be good enough. If you want older i still recommend a HK 430 if you can find one seems a lot of forum members snapped them up...Including me...lol. Where you located maybe a member could bring some stuff over for you to try.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:23 AM, pallpoul said:

I have an HK 4390 for sale, in mint condition, lightly used any. with remote. message me if anybody is interested 

Do you mean 3490?

That's a good receiver. I don't know how the Phono input measures up, but 120 HK watts x 2 is great stuff. @Terry Palmer, that's worth checking out. Purchase a Bluetooth receiver like the one I linked to above, and you're good to go.

I use and recommend the AudioEngine B1 Bluetooth receiver.  Can hook up via toslink or by RCA cable to any receiver/integrated.  To me sounds the same whether by toslink or RCA.

Great range (works from anywhere in my 2 story house) and no dropouts when connected.  About $189 but worth it.