What do you prefer? DTS HD Master vs Dolby True HD vs Atmos

dimanata2007

What do you prefer?

Which format do you usually choose?

Do you even feel the difference between them? DTS HD Master, Dolby True HD or Atmos if you are set up for Atmos?

I'm running 5.1 and not set up for Atmos yet and in half of the cases I select DTS HD track, it just feels more dynamic than Dolby True HD to me, but pretty often Dolby True HD sounds more realistic than DTS HD.

We re-watched "Kong: Skull island yesterday" and both me and mi wife agreed that Dolby True HD more realistic and more detailed.

What's your preferences?

I have always defaulted to the DTS track, they always had higher bit rates and more data, on DVD's. With blu-rays though both formats seem to be really equal. Now with 4k blu-ray and the ability to have atmos or DTS X I always pick atmos.  As far as up-converting I do not think that it really adds anything to the older discs soundtrack so I rarely do it.

• 1 year later...

With 5.2.4 I always prefer/enjoy the Atmos Track. Often double-dip on older disc just tho get the Atmos Track with 4K. Even older catalog titles like Coppola's (1992) Bram Stroker's Dracula benefit from an Atmos Track. (example) An outdoor garden scene had birds chipping above me overhead... yet I have no speakers "overhead". Roger Water The Wall 2015 Concert disc is outstanding in Atmos. 

• 7 months later...

Dolby TrueHD, definitely! I did't think there was much difference, up to the point when I watched Sicario 2: Soldato. This disc comes with both Dolby and DTS. I watched it first in Dolby, and then I selected a scene and put it in DTS. The scene is at 55:20, when Benicio comes out of the car and starts shooting. In DTS the sound of the gun was so subdued, lifeless, I thought my sub went bust.. Then I put it back in Dolby and everything sprung to life..  You should try it, the difference is amazing (at least with my amp), but obviously you need the disc to get the lossless formats. I ran 5.1.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:41 PM, dtr20 said:

I'm running 7.2.4, atmos all the time! 

Same here. Atmos is the best, not only for 3D sound rendering and envelopment, but also for TONALITY. Deeper bass and "sharper" everything else.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a Denon 3700H and when I put a BR advertised as "Atmos" I get DTSHD+Neutral X on the AVR display but the movie (Ready player one) starts in Atmos on the display and turns into the other one. I'm starting to doubt the display cause the sound comes out of my height speakers and I guess it wouldn't if it was in DTSHD right?

Neural X will matrix audio into an Atmos-like experience.  Usually it needs to be manually selected.  Try selecting “Auto” or whatever Denon calls it where the receiver processes the incoming audio signal without making any changes to it.

• 4 weeks later...