Klipschorns Wisconsin - Saturday sale

haydukej

It's Friday and the sellers have contacted me with some information.

"The Klipsch speakers are priced at 1200 each there is a pair. No more details are available.
All items must be paid for and removed from the home by 4 p.m. Saturday. Nothing is available beyond that point. Prices are all clearly marked at 9 a.m."

12 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

It's Friday and the sellers have contacted me with some information.

"The Klipsch speakers are priced at 1200 each there is a pair. No more details are available.
All items must be paid for and removed from the home by 4 p.m. Saturday. Nothing is available beyond that point. Prices are all clearly marked at 9 a.m."

I would be there nearing end of sale to make an offer if / when they don't sell.

Take a chance for a deal...depending on traffic with $$$

1 hour ago, EPICKLIPSCHFAN said:

nice set up.  what onkyo is that on its side? 

Onkyo TX NR717.  A nice mid-level 7.2 that started my foray into the world of 5.1 in 2014.  It was after that I added all my Klipsch stuff.  It is now the pre-pro for the Emotiva XPA-5 I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  The extra power has really made those CF-4's come alive!

49 minutes ago, USNRET said:
1 hour ago, 314carpenter said:

I would be there nearing end of sale to make an offer if / when they don't sell.

Take a chance for a deal...depending on traffic with $$$

$1200 each?  Hmph.  I don't like their attitude.  Agree with USNRET ^^^, wait to the end and offer $1200 for the pair.

Go low or go home.

I don't think it's an attitude.  I think they don't know what they have, and don't know anything about them.  IMO, big mistake to wait till the end.  Flash 16 hundred dollar bills, and see what they say.  Obviously assess condition first.  If they balk, offer 18, then if still a no, then walk.

I spoke with my father who is taking care of my very ill sister, who lives 1 mile away from the estate sale. My father will be monitoring the morning portion to see if a quick sale occurs at full price, saving me a trip. My wife is not on board with full ownership of these though. Size issue. She is fine with a shorter term ownership at a reduced cost.

"

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Onkyo TX NR717.  A nice mid-level 7.2 that started my foray into the world of 5.1 in 2014.  It was after that I added all my Klipsch stuff.  It is now the pre-pro for the Emotiva XPA-5 I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  The extra power has really made those CF-4's come alive!

ive used onkyo AVRs amps & other gear for quite awhile, they are one of the better value mid-fi brands i think, i have the 805 AVR thats in the same series as yours & its a very nice unit.  i used it as a pre for awhile on different amps but eventually went to a seperate preamp for 2ch,  & use the onkyo only for theater.   a decent preamp will sound much better than most all mid-fi AVRs as a pre. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

I spoke with my father who is taking care of my very ill sister, who lives 1 mile away from the estate sale. My father will be monitoring the morning portion to see if a quick sale occurs at full price, saving me a trip. My wife is not on board with full ownership of these though. Size issue. She is fine with a shorter term ownership at a reduced cost.

"

Good thoughts sent to your sister and family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love to hear what sort of offer, $$$$, each one of you would be placing. Remember this, the estate sale has no testing, no demo, not even able to listen to them to see if they even work. Basically going off of looks alone, and not even being allowed to dissemble for interior inspection of correct parts, outside of what you can see in plain sight.

28 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

My dad went, and they were covered with a sheet and the sellers said they sold very early in the day for $2400.

That's fair market value, maybe a little bit higher than Khorns that age would normally sell for.  My experience is in these types of auctions there are rarely deals to be found with larger Klipsch, Khorns, LS, etc.

FWIW - estate sales in my area usually run 2 days and discount 25-33% on the morning of day 2.

Day 2 will also frequently see a closing of the sale between noon & 1pm so they can discount to 50% off for the final afternoon hours of the sale.

3 day sales simply stretch the timeline for discounting.

You do NOT want to be "in line" for any re-openings.

You're better served by taking advantage of the "bid jar" which allows for offers less than list price, but more than the upcoming discount rate.

Those $2400 Khorns may've been ready for 25-33% off on the morning of day 2.  

Knowing the discounting tendencies of the estate sale company would greatly assist, but I believe @jimjimbo had the correct strategy in submitting a written offer for slightly over $1800 & letting the chips land as they may.

OR, if you were salivating like a Pavlov Dog, you get in line at 3am before the sale opens to make sure without a doubt that you're #1 in line, talk to the people running the show before it opens, tell them what your there for, pay full price, and they are yours - SIMPLE

• Like 1