physical size of caps

Alexander

I am sure you old timers know all this but thought it might be interesting to the newer members to see a few sizes of caps next to each other. On the right is a (early) forte II crossover that has Solen 1.5uF & 2.0uF caps installed. The white caps in the center are Audyn "Plus" caps, the bottom is a 1.5uF and the upper two are both 2.2uF's and in this case two different values  are the same physical size. The orange caps are Audyn "Q4" caps and the monster size cap is a 100uF and the small on is a 10uF. Also the two laminated inductors show wire size and can be compared to the factory wire used. The bottom left is 15 AWG and the lower right is 18 AWG.  

capsize.JPG

Good discussion item. I ran out of real estate once for an upgrade to existing x-over due to size of caps and inductor. Had to cut a second board and connect it to original x-over board with mending plates. Good plan to do a “dry”layout before you go too far!  The pros make x-overs that work great and look great with attention to the deatails... I’m still learning.

Deang, what size screws are you using for the saddles? I have some #8 but looks like I might want to go to #10 just to file the hole better, or just add a washer under the #8?  I see what you mean about them being sharp, not sure what I will use to protect the caps . Will look at Lowe's in the weather stripping section. 

• 4 weeks later...

caps will vary depending on 

voltage: For double the voltage breakdown you need 2x the plate separation for the same  volts/meter. 

Dielectric constant: if the material is 2x the Er then you get 1/2 the plate separation.  

Equivalent series R: related to plate conductance and different choice of dielectric. 

Will really all depend on the construction and materials used and specs desired