How to pack Heresy & How NOT to . . .

DizRotus

EDIT:  3/13/18

Since originally starting this thread, I received a pair of KP-201s that were well packed, as well as a pair of H2s that were not.  Photos and details to be posted deeper in thread.

The Heresy pair recently "won" on eBay were packed spectacularly.  They made the trip from California to Michigan in excellent condition.

The eBay seller used virgin dish packs and generous amounts of Styrofoam and shrink wrap.  Notice the Styrofoam corner protectors.  These battle worn speakers weren't packed any better when they left Hope decades ago.

This guy knows how to ship speakers.

A.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

H.jpg

• Like 2

That's a mostly solid way to do it but still prone to punctures and tears very easily. Best bet is to have speakers double boxed and instead of that cheap flimsy styrofoam you use rigid insulation foam (Foamular). Those peanuts won't do anything other than be annoying after you open it

@USNRET

The dish packs are approx 17.5 * 17.5 * 27.75 and the speakers and boxes weigh approx 45#.  I agree with @Jirachi sheets of cardboard to fill the space in the dish packs would be preferable to sheets of Styrofoam and peanuts.  That said, if only all eBay sellers packed as well as this one.

16 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yea......don't.

I agree @WillyBob.  Pallets, IMO, are required to safely ship La Scalas.  To me that goes well beyond the definition of "packing."

Ask Michael,  @Schu about shipping La Scalas.  Just fly to South Bend, rent a suitable vehicle, and drive home with your new La Scalas and harman/kardon 630.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I figured they would need to be crated.  Weighing options.  Sept. I will be up there anyway.  

Patience grasshopper...

Weather is going to be pretty decent this next few days.  Your sis is tentatively scheduled to pick them up on Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

How to ship a pair of LaScala speakers: 

Find (OR build!) a pallet that is long enough and wide enough to put both speakers on it face-to-face with about 1" or so to spare.

Wrap each speaker completely in shrink wrap, then put both speakers on the pallet, face-to-face one or two pieces of corrugated cardboard between the two faces. 

Then take two pieces of corrugated cardboard for each side of the load and the top...put the first of each side piece in place, and shrink wrap the whole thing together, then add the first top piece, and do the same.

Repeat the last steps.

Now you have them completely protected by two layers of corrugated cardboard, shrink-wrapped into place. 

Add the bent cardboard corner pieces to the top edges and use those to  cushion the corners as you band them down.

Now they are ready to be shipped.

I prefer to use ABF for shipping/receiving LaScalas...firstly because they do a good job, and take care of how they load, and second because they generally have very reasonable rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WillyBob said:

It will take an SUV or minivan to move them?

Arkansas in May? ....sounding better all the time.

I got mine inna 1995 IsuzuRodeo. I think I read here about another member using an Outlander.  So yes, a minivan Or a Medium SUV should do it easily.