LCR tester question - DATS and others accuracy

Alexander

Has anyone tested/compared the DATS software for accuracy using it as a LCR? I have up to know thought it was good but I just received my Erse SuperQ (2.75mH) and QFoil (.16mH)  coils and question which component to be wrong. I got 2.96/2.99 (5% tolerance) and .167/.168 (1% tolerance). Is there a decent LCR that cost say ~$100 that is know to be accurate? I have on of those EBay ~$20 type that works ok but is very inconsistent, I can duplicate the DATS values if you test enough times :) 

You are trying to be super accurate when everything has tolerances?  Are your drivers that close to be that accurate and have you taken into account the driver inductance and other losses?

You can always measure the output across a resistor to come up with something exacting that way you know precisely what the components are doing.  If you really want to test -16" on the coil, scrape the lacquer off and clamp a probe on there.  Then measure.  If you messed up, put some paint or nail polish back on and rewrap it.

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Oh and about the DATS, I use my WT3 and it seems quite accurate as long as you zero it it consistently.

Yea, I do get down to the nth degree on things I can control - just a habit I guess. When I was building racing motors making 1000+ hp normally aspirated things had to be just right or "boom"!! And yes I pull put the calibration resistor regularly. Thanks 

Good luck with the nth degree.  Speaker and crossover design is as much an art as a science.  Everything interacts with everything else, sometimes without clear reason and your ear needs to be the judge.  Not all in specifications like close tolerance items like porting, milling heads, or trying to make sure you valves aren't kissing the pistons on those nice low compression engines running airplane fuel or worse ;)

19 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Good luck with the nth degree.  Speaker and crossover design is as much an art as a science.  Everything interacts with everything else, sometimes without clear reason and your ear needs to be the judge.  Not all in specifications like close tolerance items like porting, milling heads, or trying to make sure you valves aren't kissing the pistons on those nice low compression engines running airplane fuel or worse ;)

Thanks for your input, I am sure the tolerances from the factory and my blind obsession for accuracy are far apart from one another, and the real world needed values are somewhere in between the two. I guess it is part of the challenge to get the components as close as possible to schematic specs is what drives me so. :)  I was told by family that the Germans polished their bombs in WWII, maybe in my heritage is where I get it from ;)