1984 Cornwall with Plastic Mids?

SiliconTi

So, I acquired a pair of Cornwall Is today, serials 8451327 and 1328 (1984, 5th week). After scouring the Interwebs, it appears these should have aluminum mids, but these are composite. Look factory stock. No extra screw holes, no evidence of them being replaced.

Thoughts on that? 

Congratulations SiliconTi!

How do you like them so far?

I love my '84 Cornwalls. The 50" flatscreen sits on top of them in the master bedroom. They dwarf the TV!

What version of the K-33 is in yours?

Mine came with the square magnet, but a pair of '85 Cornwall 1's I later found came with the round magnets.

19 hours ago, SiliconTi said:

Well, the smaller midrange helps in the room the CWs are in.

I'll rephrase: I think I like them better than my La Scala's in my library.

Nothing wrong with liking what you do.  I kept a set of KLF30s over La Scalas.  I probably should have kept them though.

It really will have to do with the room, amp matching, and how full you want the speakers to sound (without subs)

21 hours ago, SiliconTi said:

Well, the smaller midrange helps in the room the CWs are in.

I'll rephrase: I think I like them better than my La Scala's in my library.

larger horns provide directivity over a wider band meaning that they control their output polar patterns to a lower frequency. That means that a larger horn is what you want in a smaller room as it minimizes room interaction to a lower frequency. So I don't think it is because of the horn that you prefer your CW's I would suggest that their better bass is what you prefer. In any event as said what you like is the important thing and that's all that matters.

3 hours ago, SiliconTi said:

Interesting.

I do prefer the bass, but it seems less "horny" than the La Scalas were.

Anyhow, I can't wait to have some quality listening time with them

Could be a number of different things but smaller horns don't provide directivity control as low as larger ones do. A good large horn (with a good driver capable of the range) will always sound better than a good small horn. If the LaScala are old then they may well  have issues and you are hearing that. Properly working LaScala don't sound honky or horn like, good horns don'e sound horn like. the  fifteen inch woofer in a Cornwall run all the way up to the mid horn and they overlap it so yes the woofer had a great impact on the low mid. I expect you will sort thing out. Don't give up on your LaScala because the Cornwall's don't hold a candle to them in terms of efficiency and dynamics. The LaScala does require bass support if you want full bandwidth response. The bottom end response looks much like a Heresy does.

Remember too that if your listening room is small you will get better integration with a smaller loudspeaker simply because you can get farther away from it giving it more distance to integrate and a two way can integrate over a shorter distance than a three way can. One of the reasons why two ways are so popular in near field monitoring situations. In any room a LaScala is going to protrude into the room much more than a Cornwall will. 

If you are happy with the Cornwall then life is good they are a very nice loudspeaker. If you want to stay with that three way format but want more then look to a Chorus ll and get a good amp with plenty of watts they can really impress when driven well and the improved larger mid horn is a definite step up. The slightly smaller Chorus with its pro woofer is the replacement of the Cornwall, The Chorus uses the same K600 mid horn as the Cornwall and the Chorus ll uses a newer designed larger hybrid Tractrix mid horn. With some power behind them they will not fail to impress. If you want to run small SET amps then stay with the Cornwall.

I'm not giving up on the La Scalas, I love them in the living room - they are going nowhere. I have also rebuilt them completely - they are like new and perform very well. I run a Mac amp with the variable loudness on it - just set the loudness up a touch to boost the bass and the La Scalas sound fantastic. They are my "home theater" setup (as a 2.0 configuration) and I just marvel at how great they sound with TV and movies.

I must admit, if a speaker is not part of the Heritage line, I shun it. No good reason for it. Now that you mention the Chorus, I'll have to pay more attention to the "newer" models.