Rear Speakers

juddthejuice

Hey guys. This has likely been beat to death, but I’m in need of some assistance.

I’m looking for some small satellite speakers as my reads in a 7.1 set up. Any recommendations? I don’t have a ton of room behind the couch as the wall is right there.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

-Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Justin, if your couch is near the wall, I would recommend some type of wide dispersion speaker.  What are you using for front speakers?    Do you have photos of your room you can share?

Totally. Thank you! Here it is. Ignore the sonos. They are coming down. Basically that’s where I’d like to put my tears though. I just don’t want anything that big if I can help it. e9e0bf5116e90977b8f97878ba7fa7c3.jpg

• Moderators

Yeah, large speakers wouldn't benefit you at all with the couch being that close to the wall.  I had originally thought RS-35 as they are a smallish wide dispersion speaker but you might could use a Synergy wide dispersion speaker (not familiar with Synergy models myself)

I sit close to the back speakers and my RS-52s do a great job on surround duty. You could probably get away with a pair of the new RP-240s if you wanted something smaller. Online Klipsch dealers have a much better price than retail.

If you wanted to go with a Synergy surround like youthman suggested an S-2 or s-3 would work. I do prefer the RS-52s to my old Synergy. Some photos for comparison 

82963FF3-C909-4DBE-A223-05F685F5A805.jpeg

6CB1322F-F798-40D9-B087-AF17F302098B.jpeg

• Like 1

I sit close to the back speakers and my RS-52s do a great job on surround duty. You could probably get away with a pair of the new RP-240s if you wanted something smaller. Online Klipsch dealers have a much better price than retail.

If you wanted to go with a Synergy surround like youthman suggested an S-2 or s-3 would work. I do prefer the RS-52s to my old Synergy. Some photos for comparison 
82963FF3-C909-4DBE-A223-05F685F5A805.thumb.jpeg.cd2595d55654c36f2a617576245ae2d6.jpeg
6CB1322F-F798-40D9-B087-AF17F302098B.thumb.jpeg.01316e0649e78a93a56db28a2c902440.jpeg

Thank you for your help! I love your pup. My cousin is a SWAT team member here in CT. He’s the only K-9 member as well. He’s got a German Shepherd- super smart. Opens the cruisers door himself.

Awesome set up too haha.

5 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

82963FF3-C909-4DBE-A223-05F685F5A805.jpeg

6CB1322F-F798-40D9-B087-AF17F302098B.jpeg

Something very familiar about those 52's....lol I kind of miss them.

I just noticed the acoustic panels....love the theme on them!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, juddthejuice said:

Thank you for your help! I love your pup. My cousin is a SWAT team member here in CT. He’s the only K-9 member as well. He’s got a German Shepherd- super smart. Opens the cruisers door himself.

Awesome set up too haha.

Yes my Sergeant follows me everywhere. Every speaker picture I post has him in it. That was the first day in my house and as you can see the first thing I did was set up the grill and install the speakers :lol:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TasDom said:

Something very familiar about those 52's....lol I kind of miss them.

I just noticed the acoustic panels....love the theme on them!

That Chicago picture is just a regular canvas painting...I wonder if it acts as a sound absorber anyway? If not can you just add some foam behind it to make it one. 

As as for the speakers....love them! I had people over because my wife passed the nursing exam and I put in IT....man everyone thought it sounded like s movie theater. That rain scene at the beginning is fantastic! 

• Like 1

That Chicago picture is just a regular canvas painting...I wonder if it acts as a sound absorber anyway? If not can you just add some foam behind it to make it one. 

As as for the speakers....love them! I had people over because my wife passed the nursing exam and I put in IT....man everyone thought it sounded like s movie theater. That rain scene at the beginning is fantastic! 

Great movie. Creepy that you bring this up now. This afternoon I was painting the baby’s room and the neighbor was outside.

64dfbfadc99f39c72049930f40b11d31.jpg

• Haha 1

Once you get your speakers and determine the best sounding location for them, you might be able to bury them in the wall (flush mount them), and put grille cloth over them; grille the same color as the wall would make them almost invisible, or a contrasting color might make them look good.   You might consider speakers that are meant for in-wall use.  If you do, make sure they are wide dispersion, like Youthman says.   Klipsch may make some that would work  Don't go cheap, because it might be a big, disruptive job to replace them.  Make sure the grille cloth made for speakers, so it is nearly acoustically transparent.  Something like Audyssey will EQ your sound so the cloth is even more transparent.   There are many online vendors, who will send you samples. 

With small surrounds like that, determine the point at which the speaker is down 3 dB in the bass end (the F3 point), add a safety margin (go higher in frequency), and cross them over to the subwoofer there.  Speakers that small often have a high optimum crossover, like 150 Hz.

• Like 1

Once you get your speakers and determine the best sounding location for them, you might be able to bury them in the wall (flush mount them), and put grille cloth over them; grille the same color as the wall would make them almost invisible, or a contrasting color might make them look good.   You might consider speakers that are meant for in-wall use.  If you do, make sure they are wide dispersion, like Youthman says.   Klipsch may make some that would work  Don't go cheap, because it might be a big, disruptive job to replace them.  Make sure the grille cloth made for speakers, so it is nearly acoustically transparent.  Something like Audyssey will EQ your sound so the cloth is even more transparent.   There are many online vendors, who will send you samples. 

With small surrounds like that, determine the point at which the speaker is down 3 dB in the bass end (the F3 point), add a safety margin (go higher in frequency), and cross them over to the subwoofer there.  Speakers that small often have a high optimum crossover, like 150 Hz.

Wow, this is great. Thank you sir!