Mounting R-5502 horiz. on 16” center wall

Roy Gee

Mounting the 16.5” wide 5502 horizontally on a 16” center wall obviously presents a challenge.  If I countersink the speaker edges into the studs, will that work?  Also, if anyone has done this, to what depth will I need to cut into the studs?  This is a supporting wall, so I don’t want to weaken the support!  Thanks for your help!

Looks like the R-5502 plan doesn’t get a lot of support. 😊.  Can anyone suggest a good alternative center that will match left/right R-5650’s?   Any thoughts on mounting a third 5650 horizontally as a center? (I don’t have room to mount it vertically.)

Thanks!

A friend recently encountered the same situation in his house, so he used the R-5650 as the left, right and center channel speakers. It sounds great.

Sometimes wall studs are not all exactly spaced at 16 O.C. due to warped wood or framing variations, so you could first cut an inspection hole and take an exact measurement of that space. Enjoy your speakers.

Thanks Khornukopia - i’m replacing some rattley speakers so I know that I have just 14 1/2 inches free space between studs for the center.  I’m trying to match the R-5650’s and a Klipsch R-10 subwoofer so I’d like to stay in the Klipsch family for sure so I may just go with the horizontal R-5650.  I’ve read elsewhere on the net that using speakers designed for vertical mounting in a horizontal position deteriorates the performance but I don’t have many options.  Thanks again!