Wire upgrde

KROCK

8 hours ago, Alexander said:

They also have wire pants!

http://www.knukonceptz.com/search-results/?keywords=pants

Makes things look nice and neat.

pants.JPG

pants2.JPG

I have the quad... A little work to get them in each wire & they're not as flexible as just the wire alone.

I was on parts conection & saw the Duelund wire.

Looks like the Karma SS @ 16 ga..

The Barrier blocks arrived today, & it looks like I need a 1 1/2'' screws to connect them thru the rear panel. (next mission)

Gawd I hate to even offer opinion on cables but I use Belden Brilliance. I mean think about it - where do you think all the aftermarket cable makers get their material? Probably from manufacturers of the actual wire. I doubt Knuconcepts or Blue Jeans or a myriad of others actually draws copper into wire.  Many high end cable makers  buy from a manufacturer in bulk and put their foam, insulators etc. to have them look like fire hoses and charge $100/foot for nothing more than Belden  or Carol cable. Or buy Canare, a highly rated, affordable cable. Benchmade Audio has a neat video on why they favor Canare cable.

• Like 2

Blue Jeans Cable tells you on their site that their wire is from Belden.  Belden has made some modified colors of some of the sleeves for them.

They do brag about their process to fuse ("ultrasonic welding" they call it) connectors to the wire.   I prefer no connectors on speaker wire but I think they are priced quite fairly.

I think most people around here are shy about saying anything about liking one cable over another unless it is about "looks" or cost.    Some are quick to denigrate if they think you paid too much.  

I will say that if you are messing around with different wires it should probably wait and be last on your list after you have done most everything else.  I'd never even bother in my family room where things aren't near symmetrical and the chairs and big overstuffed couch isn't lined up well at all.  

7 minutes ago, muel said:

I'd never even bother in my family room where things aren't near symmetrical and the chairs and big overstuffed couch isn't lined up well at all.  

Yep in the family room good enough is good enough. Aesthetics(WAF) is usually is the more important factor there.:)

10 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I use this for speaker cables:

https://www.performanceaudio.com/item/Mogami-W3103/5639/

Besides being very high quality wire, I like it because it is heavy and lies flat on the floor and follows the baseboard very nicely without curling up. 

Not looking speaker cable, this is for inside the box. Thanks anyway.

20 minutes ago, KROCK said:

Having no luck today finding a 1 1/2'' screw for the barrier block.

Just might have to scratch that idea.:angry2: 

Not sure if it's a #6-36 or #6-40 thread, coming up blank on the net.

do you mean #6-32 by chance? Never heard of #6-36, also it might be metric. I have some that have 4mm x .7 pitch  x 10mm long. Just a thought. #6 =3.5mm

11 minutes ago, Alexander said:

do you mean #6-32 by chance? Never heard of #6-36, also it might be metric. I have some that have 4mm x .7 pitch  x 10mm long. Just a thought.

First thank you for you help! I stop by the (2) big stores ,tonight on the way home. Not 6-32, its a finer thread. Tried to match the screw up with the gauge on display, came up empty. Definitely not metric, it fits into the 6-32 slot, but the threads aren't the same.

I live & work in NYC, I'll have to try a lamp store or old time hardware stores that I know!  It's either 6-36 or 6-40 thread.

Back in the day a good amplifier was described "as a wire with gain."  Meaning a wire was of course accurate and the good amp was similarly accurate.

Now we read that wires are not accurate and have nuances similar to non accurate amps.

So I'll say that all accurate amps sound the same.  All accurate wires sound the same.

Is your wire accurate?  How many other wires are accurate?  Smile.

WMcD

• Like 1