Will Vincent Dynaco ST 70

ThomasD.

New to this Forum but would appreciate some feedback on anyones experience with the Dynaco ST 70's.  More specifically the ones modified by Will Vincent.  Talked to him for a bit this weekend.  A very interesting man and his mods look quite impressive.  My wife really likes the mid century look of his amps so I'm thinking she'll be on board with that style.   I'm wanting to venture into the world of 'Tubes' without breaking the bank.  Have been quite satisfied with my Rega Brio R and  Heresy 2's but really have the itch to try my Pro-ject Acryl  platter out on some tubes.  Any suggestions on a pre-amp for the ST 70?  Mr Vincent also mentioned the option of triode wiring the PP amp to get more of a SET flavor.  Any feedback on this idea?

So all he's doing mainly is just "dolling" them up and not so much updating the guts of the amp?  There were lots of weak links in those original ST-70's including power tranny, 5ar4 rectifier, driver boards, etc.  But they were built for a price point back then; if updated, that helps them a lot, but...  I personally went with a new Tubes4HiFi/Latino VTA ST-70 kit which gave me the "look" but with all updated guts.  Larger output trannies, larger power transformer, more options on tubes, not reliant on a pair of 7199 driver tubes and over-taxing the rectifier tube, new thicker chassis, and on and on.  My wife thinks the regular look of the VTA ST-70 looks great because it has that "vintage look" to it and she doesn't give two poops about audio.  For now, everything is in the living room but, thankfully, we're building a new house and all my goodies will go upstairs to a dedicated audio room.

I have no regrets buying the VTA ST-70 kit amp using 6550 output tubes.  I enjoyed the process and it's an outstanding amp one year later after building it; nary a problem.  You can also buy one already assembled and you might even look on Audiokarma as there had been a couple of the VTA ST-120's for sale on there.  I almost went with one of those.  I will probably order one of the Dynaco cages for mine from one of the other vendors just because I like the looks and it will mean less dusting of the tubes.  ha.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’m also new to this forum but been an avid Klipsch owner ever since I inherited a Heresy i a few years ago. I’m now using a Wil Vincent Dynaco ST70 & very happy with its performance.  Prior to this amp I was using a solid state Citation 16 with an HK preamp. That too sounded good with the Heresy but my goal was to go with tubes on my dad’s speakers.  Couple years ago I replaced my HK preamp with a hybrid Counterpoint 1000.  The sound definitely improved. My next goal was to be able to pair this with a decent tube amp. I was fortunate to have friends let me try their tube amps - from Quicksilver, Conrad Johnson & Cary.  I was also able to try a Monoprice hybrid integrated. Spent a number of hours listening to each amp. All of them were very good. Then I came across of an original Dynaco ST70 from a local stereo shop.  The owner was playing it with a La Scala paired with an old Fisher preamp. Man that sounded good.  I then looked around where I can get a Dynaco ST70 & came across Wil Vincent’s piece. A few calls to him with lots of questions then I pulled the trigger & ordered one.  He didn’t make any promises that his amp was better than the others but he was confident I will like it.  He was correct. Sorry for my lengthy post. Just want to share my experience on this wonderful piece.

On a side note, one of my best friend just recently bought a 1983 Heresy that was moded with Crites’ gear. We are planning to do an A/B comparison test with my original Hersesy using my stereo equipment.  Can’t wait. 

DB070617-BD79-4797-8379-C2B8E06AA831.jpeg

• Like 3

Thomas, I own the Latino St120 amp with auto bias, it is great . As AV guy said above compare the components . Will has been around a long time & is a dealer with a good reputation but the sound is all about the components and design . Another nice feature of the B> Latino is you can choose to have a Pre amp or not - just strait from source to amp - the amp has a volume control .

I will be receiving my new Dennis Hadd Mono Blocks this week and may put the Latino amp on the market, if interested send me a pm .

On 2/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, avguytx said:

So all he's doing mainly is just "dolling" them up and not so much updating the guts of the amp?  There were lots of weak links in those original ST-70's including power tranny, 5ar4 rectifier, driver boards, etc.  But they were built for a price point back then; if updated, that helps them a lot, but...  I personally went with a new Tubes4HiFi/Latino VTA ST-70 kit which gave me the "look" but with all updated guts.  Larger output trannies, larger power transformer, more options on tubes, not reliant on a pair of 7199 driver tubes and over-taxing the rectifier tube, new thicker chassis, and on and on.  My wife thinks the regular look of the VTA ST-70 looks great because it has that "vintage look" to it and she doesn't give two poops about audio.  For now, everything is in the living room but, thankfully, we're building a new house and all my goodies will go upstairs to a dedicated audio room.

I have no regrets buying the VTA ST-70 kit amp using 6550 output tubes.  I enjoyed the process and it's an outstanding amp one year later after building it; nary a problem.  You can also buy one already assembled and you might even look on Audiokarma as there had been a couple of the VTA ST-120's for sale on there.  I almost went with one of those.  I will probably order one of the Dynaco cages for mine from one of the other vendors just because I like the looks and it will mean less dusting of the tubes.  ha.

Will more than 'dolls them up'. Talk to him for specifics.

• 2 weeks later...

Build quality, lead dressing and grounding layout, quality soldering, and absolutely artisan workmanship and metal smithing are hallmarks of Will's products. He is an absolutely uncompromising craftsman, and there are no Dynaco restorations that I know (and I am familiar with many) that compare to his, particularly in terms of faceplate concepts and other visual elements.

Moreover, he doesn't simply paint his chassis, faceplates, power and output transformer end bells.  They are powder-coated and much, much more scratch and gouge resistant than a simple rattle can job (though I can't deny one can get very good finishing cosmetics from spray paint).  Just not nearly so durable as powder coating.

I've worked on the ST70 as well, and can say that the original design is still very competent.  I rebuilt one for my dad, along with a pair of Heresy IIs, and the sound he gets from that system is outstanding.

Will is one of the good guys, and has been around this stuff a very long time.  He is the most meticulous tube amp builder I know of.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/19/2019 at 12:38 AM, erik2A3 said:

... I've worked on the ST70 as well, and can say that the original design is still very competent.  I rebuilt one for my dad, along with a pair of Heresy IIs, and the sound he gets from that system is outstanding. ...

Agreed!  It continues to amaze me how a sales pitch from certain corners of a cottage industry of modifiers so easily, and seemingly irrevocably, sways perception.  The original Dynaco tube circuits, in proper working order, are indeed quite competent and sound great even by today's standards.  But, they have unfortunately acquired a totally undeserved perception problem among some folks. 

Furthermore, I would say that Will Vincent's offerings look interesting and are worth serious consideration.

Edited by petercapo
Clarification.

On 2/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, avguytx said:

There were lots of weak links in those original ST-70's including power tranny, 5ar4 rectifier, driver boards, etc.

The etc., would be the selenium rectifier.

I bought an ST-70 from someone who built his from a kit. Paid him $50 for it. I used that amp for a good twenty years with no failures, just would check the bias every once in a while. Finally bought a different front end for it and replaced the power tranny, as it was running pretty hot, but we have nice TVA power here and the voltage is always at 125. I discovered that my acquaintance who had built the kit had made a mistake when doing the wiring. It still had worked ok all those years.

The Curcio Audio board worked ok, but I've bought a different front end to put in it, but haven't finished it... one of those projects that sits in pieces.

Will Vincent's stuff looks really nice.

Bruce

• 1 year later...